Sunday, October 3, 2010
Welcome, Dr. Leland!
Please write a thoughtful paragraph introducing yourself to Dr. Leland. In this paragraph, tell him your name, your favorite part of English classes, your least favorite part of English classes, and something you think it is important he know about your learning style. Take this post seriously. Make sure you tell him why you like and dislike things. Also, be sure to let him know what he can do to help facilitate a positive experience for you during the next couple of months. Be sure to proofread and sign your name/block by 3:15pm on Tuesday.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Dear Dr. Leland,
ReplyDeleteMy name is Sarah. I love to go to english class not only because how funny the discussions end up being but because I really enjoy reading. Although it might take me a few extra times to get understand something most of the time, I will always be positive about trying to understand it. I like to read because a book will always bring you into a new world whether the book is fiction or non-fiction. I also like to write. I have written numerous short stories and I just think writing is a great way to express yourself. The only bad part about writing, writer's block. I hope that the next few months will be full of good laughs, great lessons, and lots of experiences.
Sarah
Hi Dr. Leland, my name is Elliot Sperling. My favorite part of English is the vocabulary words. They are easy to remember for quizzes or tests. My least favorite part about English is the grammar. Grammar is too much work and hard to remember. To make a positive experience for the next couple of months you should focus on vocabulary words more than grammar or writing.
ReplyDeleteElliot 8-C
Hello Dr. Leland, I am Ali Rahman. My favorite part of English class is reading if it is a good book, because I enjoy a good book. I dislike writing essays on books, because it detracts from the experience of reading the book. I prefer learning with visual representations rather than lectures. I would have a better time in English class if we watched movies about the books we read after we read it.
ReplyDeleteAli Rahman - D
Dr. Leland,
ReplyDeleteMy name is Kenan Slade Rand III, and my name in Spanish class is Julio. My least favorite part of English class is grammar. Grammar is extremely boring and completely useless. No one cares about grammar later in life unless they aspire to be a writer. I do not think that grammar should be taught in schools. However, my favorite part of English class is the couch. The couch makes my whole day a lot better. The couch is a magical thing. It is super soft and comfortable. I love the couch. And finally, my learning style is visual. I like to see things written down so i can learn and memorize them better.
-Kenan Slade Rand III
Hi my name is Jack Stern. The part I least like of English class is is writing anything including essays, paragraphs, short stories, etc. My favorite part of English class is everything other than writing. I am a flexible learner and can be taught visually, verbally, or any other way you can think of. If you were to help me have a positive experience in this class then you could avoid having a lot of writing in this class.
ReplyDeleteJack Stern - D
Hello, my name is David Gertler. My favorite part of English class is hearing about all of amazing steps of the Hero’s Journey. I can now reflect about the books I have previously read, and see whether or not the book fits the Hero’s Journey. I like a hands-on style of teaching, where I can see everybody in the class, and be able to make eye contact with them when they are asking questions. I can even ask them questions when you are not available. We can also do more group work with a hands-on approach. I dislike pop-quizzes, so if you could get as few pop-quizzes as possible, because I do not like not knowing when quizzes are. You can facilitate a positive time in English by having class discussions. With a positive, hands-on experience, English will be my favorite class!
ReplyDeleteDavid Gertler-E
Hello Dr. Leland my name is Walt Marcus. My favorite part of English class is vocabulary. The meaning of words are so interesting. I do not like grammar. It is very boring and I do not think it is useful. Also, I do not like writing. I am not very good at it especially essays. There is a good chance for me to mess up while writing them and that leads to a lower grade. We should not have many quizzes and tests in class and also have less homework. Homework is pointless because everyone just copies everyone else's paper. The vocabulary quizzes also are stupid because there very difficult and it leads to a low grade.
ReplyDeleteWalt-E
Dear Dr.Leland
ReplyDeleteMy name is Aidan J. Oestreicher. I'm very excited to get to know you and have the chance to learn from you over the next couple of months. My favorite thing to do is play call of duty modern warfare two and over the next couple of months you will learn of its awesomeness. My favorite part of English class this year is arguing with Ms. Keene about how COD is the greatest activity in the world and it brings excellence to all who play it. My favorite thing in class besides discussing COD is reading. I enjoy reading good interesting exciting books that i can relate to. My favorite book is the basketball diaries, I've read it 3 times. My least favorite thing in English class is poetry. I think reading and writing poetry is pointless and that it is a waste of time because the chances of someone in our grade becoming a poet is slim and in almost any other job poetry is not as helpful as grammar or writing technique. Something that helps me learn is visual images and working one on one to help correct and learn from my mistakes. Something that you can do to help make this experience better is watch movies about the books we read, have a fun day every few weeks where the class plays boggle and other English type games, and use both couches for class to allow four people to win the couch in one day. I am very excited to spend the next few months learning from you Dr. Leland and i hope your excited to teach the Isadore Newman class of 2015.
Aidan/C
Hello Dr. Leland, My name is Garner McAshan and I love playing COD: MW2 and Halo Reach. My favorite parts of English class are when we have conversation during class, grammar, and sitting on the couch because it is so comfortable. My least favorite part of English is poetry and writing essays. I hate poetry and essays because they are boring and meaningless in my opinion. It would help if you could interact with the rest of us as in having conversations with us, so we could get to know you more so class can be less awkward. Can't wait to have you as a teacher.
ReplyDeleteGarner-G
Hi my name is Wyatt DePass Perkinson. My favorite part of English is when we talk about books, and my least favorite part is talking notes. I think it is important for Doctor Leland to know that I dislike lectures and independent work. But Doctor Leland could assign group work and give as little amount of notes possible.
ReplyDeleteWyatt – E
Hi my name is Jenna. My favorite part of English class so far is the writing aspect to it. I love to write and especially when we are allowed to put our opinion into our paragraphs. I like writing because I feel it is a time where you can express all your ideas in a way that other people can understand. In short, to me it is a way of venting. What I do not like about English class is when we are lectured notes. This is because it is very boring and usually I just start dazing off and end up not paying attention. I think you should know that in order for me to learn well I have to interact with other classmates, and there has to be a relaxed atmosphere in the classroom. I hope this helps and welcome to eighth grade English.
ReplyDeleteJenna - E
Hi, my name is Will Milvid English has never been my favorite class but there are a few thing that I enjoy to do. First I enjoy creative writing when it is not supposed to be on specific topic. I feel that I can express what is going on in my head which gives me a sense of relief. What I dislike the most about English is writing about a very specific and set topic. I find it hard to write a well though out paragraph when you are working with somebody elses idea. These are things that I like and dislike about English class.
ReplyDeleteWill Milvid-G
Hi,
ReplyDeleteMy name is Gabrielle Stone. My favorite part of English class is when we read books as a class. My least favorite part of all of the English courses I have ever taken would have to be learning grammar. I like reading because it is fun and an easy way to get my mind off of school and stress. I greatly dislike grammar because I find it boring and hard to grasp. What makes English so enjoyable for me is how I can express myself in a relaxed environment while still learning and being at school. I feel our class’s time with Dr. Leland can be truly enjoyable if we don’t take advantage of him as a substitute and I am looking forward to the next few months.
Sincerely, Gabrielle-C
Hi my name is Ben Luongo. Although I like English class I hate taking notes. Taking notes is really boring to me and I know my classmates don't like taking notes either for mostly the same reason. What I do like in English is writing about something I want to write about. It is really engaging and is much better than just sitting around taking notes. I also like lectures that are engaging because when the whole class is into the lecture it makes it easier to learn.
ReplyDeleteBen L-D
My name is Brittany Yacavone. My favorite part of English Class is discussing our paragraphs. I like discussing the paragraphs because it is fun and your paragraphs improve. My least favorite part of English Class is the vocabulary. I don’t like how the vocabulary builds up on the quizzes. I think taking notes is important to my learning style so I can go back to them to study. If Dr. Leland keeps the class interesting and fun it should be a positive experience.
ReplyDeleteBrittany-E
My name is Paul and my favorite part of English class is when we work in groups. I enjoy working in groups because its a lot more fun. I dislike when we just write notes the whole time. I dislike this because its very boring. I feel like i learn better when we discuss a topic thoroughly in stead of just writing it down.
ReplyDeletePaul-D
Hi, my name is Sasha Lasky and I really enjoy English class. My favorite part of English is the class discussions that we have; I think are very funny and interesting. My least favorite thing about English class is that sometimes our conversations get out of hand and we get in trouble. Lately the desks have been set in rows; this makes it really hard for me to learn because I cannot concentrate in rows. To make my learning experience more positive while Ms. Keene is gone, you should set the desks back to a semi circle surrounding the room because that really helps my learning. I am also a very visual learner it would also help me learn if you wrote the notes down on the board as we are taking them. I think if you make these changes it will have a positive effect on my learning experiences with you as my teacher.
ReplyDeleteSasha-G
Welcome to our English class Dr. Leland, my name is Caroline Galliano. English is one of my favorite classes and my favorite part of it would have to be writing and literature. I enjoy reading and creatively writing. Although, vocabulary and grammar are not my favorite parts of English class and I hope we won’t be doing too much of that. I’d rather do all vocabulary than any grammar. I think our grade needs a good writing class this year because we did a lot of grammar and vocabulary last year. Writing is something I think we all need to work on and it will help us prepare for high school. I think we should do a lot of journal and a lot of class discussions about the books we read.
ReplyDeleteCaroline- C
Dear Dr. Leland,
ReplyDeleteMy name is James Gibert. Welcome to Newman. In English I like vocabulary but I do not like grammar. I like vocab. because I am very good at it but I don't like grammar because it is fairly boring. Whenever I study I like to make notecards because I think I am a visual learner. I look forward to having you teach our class for the couple of months you will be here.
-James Gibert/E Block
Hi! My name is Alexa Friedman. My favorite part of English classes is when we write. I like it because Ms. Keene tells us what’s wrong and her information helps us write better for that assignment and for the future. My least favorite part of English classes is when we have groups and the partners we are grouped with do nothing so the other person does all the work. What we can do is we can make sure all the groups are fair and that everyone in the group is contributing. Also I don’t like classes when the guys fool around and we can’t learn anything. For example, today during class the guys started asking stupid questions trying to figure out what job didn’t need the worker to know how to write and that went on through the whole class. This stops us from learning and it wastes our time. What we can do it we can try to prevent the guys from going crazy and cool them down. I learn well when we don’t rush through things and we take our time and discuss.
ReplyDeleteAlexa-C
Hello Dr. Leland. My name is Charles Kelley. The part of English that is the most interesting to me is discussing the steps of literature (like the Hero’s Journey). My least favorite part of English is grammar. I am not very good at grammar. I am also not a very good speller. I like group work and projects more than one person assignments.
ReplyDeleteCharles Kelley – C
Hi Dr.Leland,
ReplyDeleteMy name is Sarauniya and I will be in your C block class. My favorite part of English class is writing about the books that we read over the summer because it helps me understand the books better. My least favorite part of English class is vocabulary because I do not like the exercises in our vocabulary books. As a learning style, I like to take a lot of notes. To help facilitate a positive experience during the next few months, I would suggest not making us do the exercises in the vocabulary book because they do not help my understanding of the words at all.
Sarauniya-C
My name is Ronnie my least favorite thing about English class would probably be writing paragraphs if I can’t get any good ideas. I work better at the front of the class so I’m not as distracted. My favorite part of English class is grammar because it is much simpler to me. I am in A.R.L. and I have dyslexia and dysgraphia. These two disabilities make it harder for me to write notes down. Ronnie C
ReplyDeleteHello Dr. Leland. My name is William Twomey. There are many things that I like about English class. First, I like the discussions we have about books. I also like writing argumentative paragraphs. I like this because I can choose either side and then say whatever I want. Next, I like group exercises. This is because I enjoy discussing things with other people. Although I like all of these things, there is one thing I dislike greatly about English class. This dreaded thing is taking notes. I believe that it is more valuable to discuss topics instead of writing them down on paper. Now that I've told you what I like and dislike, I would like to tell you how I learn best. As I've mentioned before, I love discussions. Due to this, I think that I learn best when discussing things with the rest of the class. Finally, I believe that, to facilitate a positive experience in the classroom, you should give every student the opportunity to voice his or her personal opinion, resulting in more discussions. I am really looking forward to the next couple of months.
ReplyDeleteWilliam Twomey-G Block
Hey Dr. Leland,
ReplyDeleteMy name is David Kennair-Mapp. My favorite part of all English classes is the feeling of comfort. English is the class that I tend not to get stressed in. My least favorite part of English is the grammar. Although grammar is essential, it's one of the most boring subjects to learn. To teach me you'll need to know that I have a really hard time forming my own opinion about most things. I'll read the question or statement and have a clear answer. However, once I really start to think about the question I'll start to contradict myself.
David Kennair-Mapp
G
Dr. Leland my name is Ben. I am a big football fan. My favorite part of English is the writing. is the discussions. They let the class interact with each other and the teacher. I hate grammar. It is tedious and boring. It is not very fun. What you can do to make class better is offer group work and let the class interact with itself. That is all.
ReplyDeleteBen-D
My name is Ashton. Even though English is not my favorite subject I do like a few qualities about it. I like free writing because it is time to clear my mind and really focus on the task at hand. On the other hand I do not like writing five paragraph essays on boring topics. Therefore I will start dreading going to class which will cause me to zone out. In order to help me learn I like to write notes down on paper rather than the computer. In order to make the class run smooth it would be better to not give a lot of lectures. Try not to because that is when I start to zone out. Overall I am excited that you will be our teacher for a few months.
ReplyDeleteAshton Politz – D
Hello Dr. Leland. My name is Drew Drouilhet. My favorite part about the eighth grade English class would have to be how it is set up. Since it is much more relaxed than other classes, it is easier to focus and concentrate. What I dislike, though, is how the homework, such as this assignment, is posted on iNewman without us being told in class. Also, we tend to have quite a bit of homework each night, which tends to interfere with other subjects. You could improve the class by simply telling us what the homework is each night and by possibly giving us a little less homework. Thank you for subbing in for Ms. Keene while she is away and I look forward to seeing how you teach.
ReplyDeleteDrew – D
Dear Dr. Leland,
ReplyDeleteI am Ido Caspi. My favorite part of English class the writing we do. I enjoy writing if I get to choose a topic in my interest; although I do not like to write if it is on a boring topic. My least favorite part about English class is going over the summer reading, and going over grammer. All of the books we read this summer were very boring. One interesting thing about my learning style is that when I write things out on paper i understand things much better. This year would be great if we went over interesting topics.
Ido Caspi-G
Hello Dr. Leland. My name is Alisen and English is one of my favorite classes. My favorite things to do in English is write. I like to write because it expands my vocabulary, it makes me want learn more about English, and its fun to do. In English class, i dislike hearing lectures from the teacher, because it makes the class boring. Thats why when we do activities, it makes the class more fun and it makes us want to learn the subject more. Furthermore, Welcome to Newman 8th Grade English Dr. Leland!
ReplyDeleteDear Dr.Leland,
ReplyDeleteMy name is Julian Sutton. This years english class just happens to be one of my most favorite english classes of all time. I like the very laid back environment. We are able to relax and have fun, but also get a sufficient amount of work done. I love having the opportunity to sit on the couch because I work a lot better when I'm comfortable. I also like the way we take notes. It is not just a boring lecture, but fun and interactive. There is really nothing I don't like about english class. One of my strongest points is my writing and I like to read.
Julian -D
My name is Peter Drennan. My favorite parts of English class are 1. answering questions in order to get privilege to sit on the couch and 2. group work. I like group work because I get a better understanding of the material if I have any questions and I get more work done at a faster pace. I like answering questions for the couch because I usually get it at least 2 times a week, which is never a bad thing. My least favorite parts about English class are 1. although I like writing, I dislike the amount of writing we have to produce and 2. the vocabulary book. I do not like the vocabulary book because the amount of words needed to memorize for the quizzes. I love writing, and sometimes I do not. I do not like it when the subject is not to my liking, which is sometimes the case when we do writing for English class. I also do not like when we continuously have to write paragraph after paragraph. If I had to say one thing about my writing, I would say that it is a little bit too wordy. In order to facilitate a positive experience when you are replacing Ms. Keene, all you have to do is not give us the amount of work that is out of our reach, and be a cool teacher.
ReplyDeletePeter D.
E
I am Charlotte Huger. Welcome to our English class. My favorite part of English class is literature. There a couple things I dislike about English, first I do not like to write. Also, I don’t like grammar. I don’t like to write because I am bad at it, and I hate taking the time to do it, I don’t like grammar because it takes me a long time to finally understand how to do it. I am a visual learner, so I like to see examples. Overall I love English and am looking forward for you teaching our class.
ReplyDeleteCharlotte Huger- G
Hi, I’m Julia. English is one of my favorite classes in school and I think what makes it one of my favorites is the freedom to be able to express yourself by writing, and also because grammar, writing, and vocabulary are all skills that will come in handy later in life. My least favorite part of English classes are taking notes and not discussing them, which doesn’t allow us to understand the materials we are being given. I think I learn the best when I am presented with a physical copy of the information, and not as well when the information is just being talked about.
ReplyDeleteJulia-G
Hello Dr. Leland,
ReplyDeleteMy name is Kennedi Walker and I am a 4 foot, 9 ½ inch 13 year old girl. I am from Louisiana and most importantly in Ms. Keene’s, and now your advisory. I was not in Ms. Keene’s advisory last year or the year before that because my old advisor left Newman’s staff. I like Ms. Keene’s English class and I am sad that she is leaving but, I am prepared for you to be our 3 month substitute until she comes back. Something that I think is important for you to know about my learning style is that mnemonic devices help me understand more. For example, in Cultural Geography something that made me know that Latitude lines measure West and East of the Prime Meridian is “Latty fatty” which is wide even though Longitude Measure North and South of the Equator. Some things that I like about Ms. Keene’s English class is how laid back she is, how she does not give homework over the weekend, and when she picks the couch randomly. I do not like it when she does couch trivia because usually it is the same people every week that gets the couch. Something that you can do to help me facilitate a positive experience whiles you’re teaching us for the next couple of months, is to let our advisory have a lot of advisory lunches while you are hear and once a month bring in a cookie cake for our advisory. Therefore, welcome to section E, Dr. Leland!
Kennedi Walker - E
Howdy Dr. Leland, my name is David Terral. I will be in your G block class. My favorite part of English class is writing in my journal. I enjoy this because even though we have a topic, I can pretty much pick what I want to write about. My least favorite thing to do is learn about grammar. I believe that grammar classes are very boring, and frankly most people do. I enjoy learning with a class discussion, rather than having a teacher lecture for the forty five minutes we have a day. This keeps everyone involved, and is a much more fun way to run class. I hope to have a good time with you as my teacher for 8th grade English, and cant wait to see you at G block.
ReplyDeleteDavid Terral - G
Hey Dr. Leland, I’m Elena. I sometimes enjoy coming to English class unless all we do is take notes. Notes are my least favorite thing to do because kids don’t really get the chance to learn, they just write and try to keep up. I do enjoy writing in class and group work. Projects are fun but I don’t know many projects that we could do in English besides papers and those are NO NO’s. Although I do fancy creative writing, some types of writing should be illegal because they are so boring. Writing argumentive essays, (which we have to do like everyday), is really not fun anymore. I would like to explore more into the creative writing and stuff like that. Another subject in English I do not like is homework. If you assign too much homework, then something is clearly wrong with you because homework makes me stressed and put me into bad moods. I hope you have a fun time teaching us Dr. Leland! Elena - D
ReplyDeleteHello Dr. Leland, my name is Matthew. I think that my favorite part of English class is reading and writing. My least favorite part must be grammar leaving poetry and vocabulary tied for third. I learn in a very visually based way but taking notes will suffice. The reason why I dislike grammar is because of its tedious repetition and must - know feeling. Reading and writing is fun and easy which makes it my favorite. To make English class more enjoyable I need to keep my attention on the class: if you can achieve this then I will be forced to learn.
ReplyDeleteMatthew - D
Hey Mr. Leland! My name is Abbas Mohammadi and I have been at Newman since 5th grade. My favorite part in English class is reading interesting literature in the genre that I like which is action/thriller. My least favorite part is doing grammar in general. I dislike grammar because in my opinion it is useless and good literature is always fun and like mental television. I think you will be a great teacher and I am looking forward to be influenced by your intelligence. See you Dr.!
ReplyDeleteAbbas-C
Hi, my name is Kyla. My favorite part of English Class is by far writing. Not so much writing papers, essays, and paragraphs on books, but more free writing. My least favorite part about English is grammar. My main weakness about English class is if the class is reading a book I really do not enjoy or if I am uninterested in, I will most likely zone out or not read the book. Another one of my weaknesses is I cannot take notes and be a part of the discussion at the same time, this makes it very hard for me to take notes fast or even take notes at all. I highly enjoy group projects, or group brain storming, and independent reading days. Group projects allow us to get feedback from our peers, and allow us to get ideas from each other, and independent reading days allow us to relax from other work, and catch up on our independent reading books. I am an awful speller and I usually am doodling, however I can listen and doodle at the same time, unlike I can with notes. Overall, I hope you are getting excited for your time in 8th grade English. Kyla-D
ReplyDeleteHello Dr. Leland! My name is Jamie, just like Miss Keene, so it shouldn’t be too hard to remember. I’d like to first say, Welcome to Newman! My favorite part of English class would have to be creative writing such as stories and poems because it is much more entertaining than studying punctuation marks, and you get to be inventive and artistic in an academic setting. My least favorite part of English class is grammar because learning about symbols forming proper sentences really is not very interesting, although it is necessary. I would much rather be doing anything else with our valuable class time. To facilitate a positive experience during the next couple months we should do a lot of group assignments, because even with tedious work, it’s much more entertaining to complete work with friends. I can assure you that E-block class is the most spirited class that you will teach, and you will enjoy every minute of every class period with us. I hope you have a great time teaching us for the wondrous months ahead, and I have faith that you will do an awesome job filling in for Miss Keene.
ReplyDelete- Jamie Hawkins (E- Block)
Hello, my name is Katherine Kaufman. My favorite part about English is talking about poetry. However, my least favorite part is reading. I don't find it entertaining I'm best at learning hands on and with projects.
ReplyDeleteKatherine-E
Hello, my name is Cole. My favorite part of English class is when we are doing trivia to sit on the couch. It is fun and everyone tries because we all want to sit on the couch. My other favorite part of English class is writing paragraphs in our journals. I like doing this because it is funny when we go over them and the topics are fun to write about. My least favorite part English class is reading. I do not like to read and we are required to read 18 books this year which is a lot and they are not books of our choice. I also dislike doing blog posts about books that we read over the summer. They are hard for me to do because I do not understand those books too well. While learning I like to discuss what we learn about and to not go too fast. This will help me have a positive learning experience.
ReplyDeleteCole Garda- G
Hey, my name is John David, a.k.a. Yoda. If you want to call me Yoda, you can. My favorite thing in English class is Ms. Keene, but sitting on the couch is good, too. My least favorite part of English class is when we have to take notes through power point. We just don't have enough time to copy all the notes down. In general though I really like English class this year!
ReplyDelete-John David - English - D
Hi Dr. Leland,
ReplyDeleteMy name is Blakely. My favorite part of English class is probably writing. I like writing because you can write to express yourself. There are not as many details and rules to writing either. I do not particularly like grammar or reading. I don’t like grammar because there are too many details and different topics to learn. I don’t like reading at all for many different reasons. Such as, I don't usually find books that are worth reading.
Blakely Rippner - C
Hello Dr. Leeland, my name is Cora Schneider. I am in your D block class and also your advisory. I would like to tell you about how I work in English. My favorite part about English is reading. My least favorite part is writing. I also take a long time to write down notes so you will have to go a little slower. This is how I work in English class. I hope you have a great time working at Newman.
ReplyDeleteCora Schneider-D
Hi my name is Riley. My favorite part of English is IR reading and my least favorit part is grammar. I like to learn by talking and not by worksheets. I love to read but I feel like doing worksheets is boring making learning more difficult.
ReplyDeleteRiley-E
Dear Dr. Leland,
ReplyDeleteHi my name is Haley and Welcome to Newman middle school. It is my first year at Newman and I’m looking forward to having you as our sub while Ms. Keene is away. My favorite part of English is learning about parts of speech and poetry. My least favorite part of English is vocabulary because I have a hard time memorizing words and their meanings. All in all this is going to be a great year and I’m looking forward to having you sub.
Sincerely,
Haley
I am Nathaniel and my favorite part of English class is writing. I have always liked writing because it comes easily and it is a good way to give a description or talk about something. I don't like it when there is a lecture for the entire class of English, because I do not think it is a good way to learn things, plus it is boring. Instead of lectures, class discussions and real-life examples of things help me to comprehend things more effectively.
ReplyDeleteNathaniel- G
Dear Dr. Leland
ReplyDeleteI am a 13 year old, english loving, happy go-lucky boy. I enjoy video games and watching the Discovery channel. I like elephants, kitty cats, Elena, and commas. I have 2 cats, a dog, 2 fish, and a hamster. Some of my friends know me as JUICYFRUIT. You can call me that if you want. I cannot wait for class with you, although I love Ms. Keene and will hate to watch her go. I really like writing and selling sea shells on the sea shore.
Can't wait for English class with you, Dr. Leland
Michael McAlpine
Hey Dr. Leland, my name is Zack. My favorite part of English is creative writing and reading good books. I love to write whatever I want to write, and I love to read books that are good page turners. My least favorite of English is taking notes, writing argumentative essays, and reading not interesting and boring books. Something that is important about my learning style is that I cannot work in a noisy classroom. It has to be quiet when we are doing independent projects. I also am an auditory learner. This means that I learn better when I am listening to the teachers talk. I hope that you have a fun time teaching us these next few months.
ReplyDeleteZack Backstrom - D
What’s happening Dr. Leland, I’m Kendall Bussey Jr. and I am in Ms. Keene’s G period class. My favorite part of English is when we are not doing much in class and I am totally in a daze. The worst part of English for me is when I have to pay attention because we are learning something new which could be essential to getting a good grade. I also get distracted by many things like Jay because me makes me laugh all of time. This probably could be solved if you put me next to people I don’t really talk to like Sasha and Nathaniel (the Smart Kids). I honestly do not enjoy English all that much but I work hard to try to do the best I can.
ReplyDeleteKendall-G
Hi, I am George Thomas Casey. Dr. Leland I am thrilled to have you as my professor. I hope to learn about your teaching style and expectation. I love group reading in English class. I don’t like grammar mechanics. I am a visual learner. I hope to get along with you and not get in too much trouble in your class.
ReplyDeleteGeorge-D
Dear Dr.Leland my name is Kevin Isaac Steiner and i love English class. I love English because it has always been the most interesting and the most fun to learn. The only part i dislike is the amount of reading and writing which i'm bad at. I also am a bad learner when it comes to reading comprehension. I have a brother and two sisters named Jason, Rachel, and Sydney and i have two dogs named Moose and Cooper. I love sports, animals, and my mommy and daddy.
ReplyDeleteThank You,
Kevin
My name is Hannah Bernick. My favorite part of English class is reading. My least favorite part of English class is vocabulary quizzes and writing papers. The way I learn best is by taking notes and then studying from them or by making flash cards. To enhance my learning experience, the desks should be in a circle. I really like how laid back the English class is, and I hope that it stays this laid back while Dr. Leland is teaching. Welcome to section E, and good luck with teaching us! I look forward to the next 3 months of English.
ReplyDeleteHannah- E
Hi, my name is Nicky Alfonso. I play football, baseball and Xbox 360. I have a point on my ear, which is kind of unusual. I have one brother named Anthony and i live in Lakeview. I have been going to Newman for 10 years. I am very excited for the new eighth grade year. I am not a very good writer, and I'm not very good with grammar. I am looking forward for this school year and I'm excited to meet you.
ReplyDeleteHello Dr. Leland, my name is William Savoie. I am in English block-G. My favorite part of English class is that there is not a lot of homework, and my least favorite part is that there is a lot of writing. I am ADHD so I get off topic a lot and have trouble paying attention.
ReplyDeleteWilliam-G
Hello, Dr. Leland, my name is Miranda. My favorite part of English class is the discussions we have and when we are writing. My least favorite part of English class is grammar. There really isn't much you should know about my learning style. I tend to be capable of paying attention under various circumstances, though I may not always do so.
ReplyDeleteMiranda- G
Hi, Dr. Leland my name is Joshua Edwards, I like English and I am excited to learn about literature and the part of English that I am not fond of would be the grammar. I think of myself as a visual learner and I am okay with writing in my journal. Personally I think that when learning English I work best when I have something to look at and I think that I dislike grammar because I don’t like how some rules are close to being the same to each other and it is in my opinion harder to study for. Even though I am excited about English class and I am happy to be learning it.
ReplyDeleteJoshua Edwards-C
Hello Dr. Leland, I'm Kaz Williams. I like English class because of the things we learn. I've always been interested in English. I don't like the reading part about English. I easily fall asleep or daze off so I like the class to be interesting. I hope that you have fun teaching us!
ReplyDeleteMy name is Peter Gandle. I enjoy english class. My favorite part is literature and discussing books. I like these because I enjoy reading. I do not like writing. It has never been interesting to me. I learn better by discussing things.
ReplyDeletePeter Gandle- E
My name is William. My favorite part of English- 8 is when I have the opportunity to sit on the comfortable couch. However, my least favorite part of English class is writing blog posts all the time. I learn best visually, so the power point helped me a little. Also I would very much like to be assigned the couch on a regular basis while you will be here.
ReplyDeleteWilliam Uhalt_ C