~a course website for Ms. Keene's English 8 classes~
Friday, October 1, 2010
The House on Mango Street
Next week, we are slated to discuss The House on Mango Street -- unless you can persuade me otherwise. Write a strong, serious paragraph making a case for or against the book.
Post by 3:15pm on October 1.
I do not think that we should discuss during class the book, the House on Mango Street. I did not enjoy this book because it jumped around a lot. This means that it went from one topic to another. This book did not have a main plot point. Therefore, it became a confusing book to understand. Although talking about this book may help me understand it better, I do not believe this book is important enough to take time away from class to discuss it. This is why I do not think we should discuss the House on Mango Street during class. Blakely Rippner - C block
I think that if we discuss The House on Mango Street students will be rebellious towards this decision and not pay attention. This book is very boring and is hard to read. This will make a class discussion about The House on Mango Street very dull and unnecessary. If we were to work on other things, like writing or vocabulary, the class would be more active and students would pay more attention. This would essentially teach the students more and make everybody happier. Elliot C-8
We should not discuss the book The House On Mango Street because it was a poorly constructed book and had no plot. Since the book has no plot it was a very hard book to follow and understand. I found myself reading and rereading almost every paragraph. As a result it would not be fair to discuss a book that most people did not understand. All in all I think it would be unfair to discuss the book The House On Mango street for those reasons.
I do not think we should discuss The House on Mango Street in class. When I read this book, I could not understand what the point or the main goal of the story was. The way the character writes is hard to understand, all over the place, and very hard to relate to. For instance, she talks about so many different topics yet she never truly gets her point across. Also, many people in this grade did not enjoy reading this book and they don't want to discuss it because it didn't make sense to them. I am one of those people. Because this book was so hard to relate to, I also felt like the character was needy and annoying, this makes the topic miserable to talk and write about in class. This is why I feel we should skip discussion of this book and talk more about writing skills and ways to improve on English skills. Since Ms. Keene will be gone until January, it is imperative that we use our time with her to learn more about the basics and necessary skills. Sincerely, Gabrielle-C
I do not think we should discuss The House on Mango Street in class. When I read this book, I could not understand what the point or the main goal of the story was. The way the character writes is hard to understand, all over the place, and very hard to relate to. For instance, she talks about so many different topics yet she never truly gets her point across. Also, many people in this grade did not enjoy reading this book and they don't want to discuss it because it didn't make sense to them. I am one of those people. Because this book was so hard to relate to, I also felt like the character was needy and annoying, this makes the topic miserable to talk and write about in class. This is why I feel we should skip discussion of this book and talk more about writing skills and ways to improve on English skills. Since Ms. Keene will be gone until January, it is imperative that we use our time with her to learn more about the basics and necessary skills. Sincerely, Gabrielle-C
We should not discuss the book The House on Mango Street. Many people in the grade did not understand the book and thought that there was no plot. If we go over The House on Mango Street, students will not know what to say and will be clueless. Also, students will not want to participate because they didn’t like the book and they just want to be done with it. Books that we discuss should be books that the grade likes and understands. For example, everybody liked going over Ender’s Game and having discussions because they enjoyed the book. Our class should not waste our time discussing a book when no one wants to when we can discuss a book that students do want to go over.
We should not discuss The House on Mango Street in class because; it is an all-around poorly developed book. The story did not present a strong enough plot; it skipped throughout her life at an antagonizing rate. Also the writing style of the author didn’t clearly follow the story line, thus adding to the already poorly written book. In English class we should be learning how to properly develop our reading and writing skills. And this disgrace of a book does not appropriately suit this class or grade level and would be a misuse to class time. The House on Mango Street is not fit to be considered an 8th grade book, and therefore should not be discussed in class. William Uhalt- C
We should not be slated to discuss the book The House on Mango Street because it was confusing, uninteresting, and did not have a strong plot. Because the dialogue throughout the book had no quotation marks, I found it difficult to know when someone was speaking. The story was divided into small chapters that all talked about different things instead of following where the last chapter left off. The divisions of small, random chapters also made the book hard to follow, and sometimes I was unable to identify the characters because they were not introduced very well. Without strong character definition, the story became very uninteresting. All of these problems led to a weak and confusing story plot that did not identify how long the main character, Esperanza, lived in the house on Mango Street. We should not be slated to read The House on Mango Street because students will not be able to write strong paragraphs about a book that was not that good.
I do not think that we should be forced to go through the strenuous torture of discussing The House on Mango Street. This book did not have a clear or structured plot at all, so it would be very hard to discuss. Also, I do not think that the rest of our class would enjoy discussing this book either. If we had to discuss this horrid book as a class, without anyone actually being involved and enjoying it, no one would get anything out of it. So, overall, if we discussed The House on Mango Street, it would just be a big waste of time.
I really believe that there is no point in even discussing The House on Mango Street. I did not enjoy reading at all. First, the book was just a series of scattered events that did not really have any point to them. They were not poems or organized bits of creative writing, but just random pieces of information. Second, the few stories the author told were not interesting or gripping in any way. If the story flowed a bit more than I think it would be a great idea to review it, but since it did not I do not think there is any reason to ever speak of The House on Mango Street again.
Our eighth grade English class should not discuss The House on Mango Street next week. This book, if it can even be called that, has no plot whatsoever. It jumps from random story to random story and never stays on one topic for more than three pages. This makes for a very confusing read. Also, the characters described in the book rarely appear more than twice. Plus, there is not much to discuss about the book. Since there is essentially no plot the most our class could discuss is how much we disliked the book. Although this would be quite humorous and entertaining for the first day or two, it would get old after a while and we would not get anything accomplished. While I understand that the format of the book is intended to be in the form of a young girl’s diary, it is simply not written well enough to catch the interest of most eighth graders, which is why we should not discuss it next week.
Inevitably next week we are going to have to discuss The House on Mango Street which we read over the summer. Most people in the 8th grade did not enjoy having to read the book because the book had a very little amount of confusing, pointless, and JANKY plot, which would keep most students from being at all interested in the discussions. This would create a bad reaction with the grade, keeping them from learning anything, which would be a massive waste of time. All of this wasted time could be used to teach more important topics. The seriously low amount of teaching things that the students would learn would enrage the parents, causing more trouble for Ms. Keene and the Newman Administration. If we do not have to discuss The House on Mango Street then we would waste a ton of time.
We should definitely not discuss the House on Mango Street next week, because the book had no point what-so-ever. Each chapter was only about four pages at max, but each chapter was different. It was more like a book full of pointless short stories, which never came together and was no overall subject. Each paragraph was so different, it went from an old fat lady moving in across the street, to her and her friends getting fancy shoes and one of her friends giving a hobo a kiss, to her dreaming about an amazing house, or finally to her and her sister in a neighbors’ garden that used to be magical and had a monkey, but is now dull since the neighbors moved out and left Mango Street. We should not talk about the House on Mango Street because overall this book was just completely JANKY. John David Bailey – English 8 – D
The 8th grade English class should not discuss the House on Mango Street. Next week is Mrs. Keene's last week and I can ensure you that many students will be unpleased with the discussion of the book. Not only will the students be unpleased with the book discussion, they will also have a memory of Mrs. Keene being as boring as the book. If Mrs. Keene wants to torture the more than 75% of the class who hate this book, then I say she should go for it. However, I believe that Mrs. Keene's intentions are not to do so. Mrs. Keene once said, "My intentions of this English class are to make my students enjoy English in an interactive way." Overall, Mrs. Keene would be going out of her way and against her own personal views if next week she makes her students discuss The House on Mango Street. Kyla-D
We should not study The House on Mango Street because it is pointless. It is pointless there is really no story line. In other words there really was not a story to follow and when there was it was boring and slow. Also The House on Mango Street does not exhibit the coming of age hallmarks or hero’s journey. Since we are learning about that, this book would not help reinforce those ideas. Another reason why we should not study this book is because it was boring. Therefore if we discuss it in class or write a paper about it mostly likely we will zone out or not try. Lastly, this book had a lot of random “stories” that made no sense to me. Which made me zone out. In conclusion this book was a waste of time and we should not discuss it in class. Ashton Politz - D
I strongly believe that the House on Mango Street is one of the most irrelevant books I have ever read. There are no literary elements in the very short and boring story line. The characters are dull and it feels like they’re wondering are around a dark void. The only reason I read the book is because I was not sure what to except from Newman. Now I realize that almost all of my fellow classmates despised this God awful excuse for a good book, and I robustly agree with them. I hope when you read this Ms. Keene you examine your conscience and not bore the 8th grade English into sleep. George Casey- D
We, the Newman eighth graders, should not discuss The House on Mango Street for many reasons. First, of the many eighth graders I have talked to, all of them greatly dislike The House on Mango Street. This will make any discussion we have unenthusiastic, and anything that we learn will be soon after forgotten. In addition, The House on Mango Street does not follow many rules of the English language. The effect of this will be that many of my fellow students will go home next weekend thinking that quotations are not necessary among other things. One could say that our teacher could tell us this, but many of the students would not pay attention because of their extreme dislike of The House on Mango Street. All of this would make any discussion of The House on Mango Street pointless and tiresome.
The majority of my classmates and I all agree that The House on Mango Street was the least interesting book that most of us have ever read. One reason because of this is because of the random thoughts scrambled throughout the book that made it hard to follow. Not only were these facts placed at random, but they were not the kind of facts that make up a good book. The facts were boring and most students can not relate with them. Another reason this book is not a class hit is because of the plot. There was barley any plot and the little amount there was, I could not follow or compare with. All of the information backing up the plot made no sense. The last example was that there was no apparent begging or ending of the book. The reason that there could not be a beginning or ending is because of the randomly placed information that I talked about earlier in the paragraph. Since there was no order to the random ideas, there could be no ending. The House on Mango Street was a bad reading choice mainly because of the random thoughts and information and the lack of a plot.
The House on Mango Street is about a girl named Esperanza that moves to a house on Mango Street. Ms. Keene wants us to discuss this book next week. We should not discuss The House on Mango Street. We should not discuss this book because it is not an interesting book. Almost all of us did not like this book and think that it won the jankiest book award. We also think that there is no plot to The House on Mango Street. If we do discuss it would be a very boring class for us. We would tell the younger classes and it will not make them excited for 8th grade English. Also next week is Kanuga, so most of us are excited about going and we will not be thinking about discussing the book. As a result, we will not be listening and if there is a test or quiz we will not be ready for it. This is why we should not discuss The House on Mango Street next week. Cora-D
I do not think that we should go over the book The House on Mango Street. In my opinion this book was a terrible waste of time that only depressed the week of summer that I spent reading it. The book had no plot or conclusion and the entire story could be summed up in one sentence. The books only true statement is that when you live somewhere you acquire a love for that place no matter how bad you feel when you are there. The entire book was spent in the thoughts of Experanza, this was a waste of time because she couldn’t decide if she liked living on Mango Street or not. So I would as Ms. Keene to please be nice and don’t torture the 8th grade by making us review the House on Mango Street.
For English class over the summer, we had to read The House on Mango Street. Next week we have to go over it in class and I think that that will be a waste of time. All the book was about was a girl that moved into a house on Mango Street. Instead of having things going on throughout the book, it skips around and doesn’t have a plot. Imagine having to read a book with no plot? It is not very interesting. I think this book could have been good if there was a big event in the middle but there was not. Because there was no plot, I don’t know how The House on Mango Street won an award. I mean the writing is good but I would never read this book again. Elena - D
The House on Mango Street has no plot or point. It does not thoroughly describe the reason that the book is written. The author never cleverly shows her point for explaining Esperanza’s life. Secondly the novel will not reinforce our learning experience in English and would be a waste of time if we went over it during three days. Unlike Ender’s Game or Into the Wild it does not have the feeling of drawing the reader to keep on reading. The House on Mango Street has no qualities that a non – fiction book should have; it has no real appearing story that makes people want to read on, it has no facts and useful information. All in all The House on Mango Street is a janky book. Matthew - D
Although I loved the book House on Mango Street, I don't think we should review the book. I personally think that the entire grade would prefer not to have an additional test. It would mean extra studying, extra preparation on both parts, for you and for the students. If we also have an extra test, you would have to grade all of them which is even more work for you. As well as grading all of the tests, you will have to create the test. So if you want extra work and if you don't want to give all of the us, being the students, any extra studying to do, i suggest that you don't make us go over the book The House on Mango Street. Sarah - E
The House on Mango Street was a horrible piece of fiction. Mango Street not only made no sense, but it angered me when I read it. That is how bad it was. So, obviously I am making a case against it. The book had no specific plot, and if you could argue there was one, it made absolutely no sense. It was also one of the most boring books I have ever read.
The book The House on Mango street was horrific. It would never stay on the same point. This did not allow the story to develop. Even if the book would have been developed the story was not interesting. After reading the book I was in a bad mood for the following hours. It was by far the worst book I have ever read. We should not review this book and have a quiz on it. With that being said you should make next year's eighth graders read it because I do not like them.
We should not discuss the book House on Mango Street because all of our discussions will be boring and it is not a very educational book. The book is extremely boring and most of the students in the 8th grade have no positive opinions about the book. Our whole grade would agree that talking about the book would be a very boring class discussion. The book House on Mango Street has no main plot and no main story line. This book would be hard to talk about for a whole 45 minutes because there is not much to talk about. The House on Mango Street should not be discussed during class for these reasons. thank you and goodbye Kevin - E
We should not discuss or be tested on The House on Mango Street next week in class. The chapters of the book were written very sporadically, and many of them made very little sense. They jumped around through the main character, Esperanza’s life a little too much for the reader of the book to keep up with the story. There was an over abundant amount different characters, and most of them were irrelevant to the plot of the book (which itself was almost nonexistent, therefore, there would not be much for us to discuss anyway). Not much detail or dialogue was put into the book to make the pages flow smoothly and paint color pictures in the readers head, unlike the other required reading books, which although not all of them were the best books ever, I was able to tolerate reading them. Also, some parts were hard to read because they were in Spanish, and I don’t speak Spanish at all. The book should've had some sort of Spanish dictionary in the back, so that English speakers could understand important words that the characters were saying. I don't really feel that this book was good to read at school because the characters were flat, there was no real lesson learned, and the book was not entertaining to read. The books we read over the summer, should motivated us students to want to read more books, and actually enjoy reading, and this book did not meet expectations. I think the upcoming 8th graders would appreciate it a lot of this repugnant book was taken out of the curriculum, and a more exciting and conversation worthy book was put in its place.
Next week, Ms. Keene plans to have the 8th grade discuss The House on Mango Street. While the book is very well recommended and suggested to many people, the grade collectively disliked it. We didn’t enjoy this book because the plot wasn’t clear and the story wasn’t exciting enough to hold our attention. The book was about a young Mexican girl and her life experiences. A majority of the students didn’t like to read this book because they thought that her life was boring and bland. If many of the students didn’t enjoy this book, they wouldn’t be enriched by the lesson making the lesson pointless. With Ms. Keene having a baby, she should use her time to the fullest and try to help her students as much as she can before she has to leave. The pointless lesson would also be taking up a week’s time which could be used for more appropriate academic subjects. Ultimately, if Ms. Keene cares about using the rest of her time with her students for topics that would contribute to the students futures, she should not waste her time on The House on Mango Street.
I do not think we should read The House on Mango Street because was is a horrific book. The book made no sense, and made me hate literature. I never really understood what was going on in the book. Not only did it make no sense and make me despise literature, the whole book was short poems. There are only so many short poems I want. Also, I never had a connection to the characters, which made me not want to want to read about them. If I never care about the character, how am I supposed to care one bit about the book? Not only that, but there was so many characters, I could not keep track. I despise The House on Mango Street and I never want to see that book again. David Gertler-E
I do not believe that we should read The House on Mango Street. The book did not have a plot, nor was it easily understandable. Not only did the majority of the grade not enjoy or understand the book, but you, Ms. Keene, did not like the book, either. The book jumped around and never stayed on a single story. Normally, I enjoy reading poetry books, but simply thinking about the book frustrates me, mostly because I did not understand it. Many kids in the grade would agree with me. Also, many people, if there were a quiz or test on the book, would not do well. This book is not relatable and has no effect on our lives. The book was simply not good. Katherine-E
I believe that we should not discuss or have a quiz on The House on Mango Street. The book was a mix of stories that didn’t make since. The short stories were very dull and had no point in them. If we did talk about the book there would not be a lot to talk about because it was so plain. Esperanza only complained about how she wanted a bigger house and a better life style. If we end up discussing the book next week the discussion won’t last very long because no one wants to talk about it. In addition, it would be wasting time. It was very easy to read but it was hard to understand. It was hard to understand because there was no specific plot. To sum up The House on Mango Street in one word would be close to impossible because there were too many stories that didn’t go together.
The House on Mango Street was a very odd book and while reading it I could not get attached. I do not think we should discuss nor have a quiz on this book next week. This is because this book was not very good and was all over the place. This book had no real meaning, and did not teach the reader any important morals or make the reader revaluate something important in their life. Furthermore, it did not have a main plot therefore it was a little confusing, and made the book not enjoyable. In addition, while reading the book is was hard for the reader to find any real connection to Esperanza or any other main character. When reading a book, people want to feel like they are part of it, and can actually imagine the characters in real life; however this book did not give that sort of feeling. It was almost dry with no real tie to real life or to real people, and did not leave any imprint in my mind. Overall, The House on Mango Street was not very enjoyable and did not benefit our look on life or our outlook on reading and therefore we should not discuss it or have a quiz on it.
The House on Mango Street book is horrible. This book does not really have a plot, the words are very easy and do not give us a challenge when reading. The characters are not creative and no one wants to read this type of book. The plot of this book (if there was one) is terrible. I cannot make out what exactly this book is about. There are none rising action, climate, or falling action in this story. The book does not make sense and neither do the chapter. Each chapter skips from on topic to another without even a transition. We should discuss about House on Mango Street next week.
The House on Mango Street was not a good book for many reasons. First of all it was not good because there was no plot. Another reason it wasn’t good is because the book skipped along with these one to four page stories of her life that didn’t really go with any of the other stories. Since the book was one of the worst books I have ever read in my life, I did not like it which made me not concentrate on the book. Therefore we should not talk about it and be quizzed on it, because I do not remember most of the book, even though I read it. Wyatt -E
I think that we should not talk about The House on Mango Street next week in class. The House on Mango Street was not one of my favorite books and I thought it was boring. It jumps around too much throughout the chapters, which are only about three pages long. I think there is not enough detail in the book for us to talk about. Also, I think a majority of the class thinks it is boring and random as well. I think we should continue on something else than The House on Mango Street. James Gibert- E
I strongly disliked the book the house on mango street because it was not interesting, and not meant for boys. It was boring because nothing thrilling happened in the book and nothing made me want to read it. If the book had a little bit more intense storyline it would have been better. The book seemed it was not intended for guys but girls. I say that because nothing caught my interest as a guy, but I could see how it would to a girl because the book was based around a girl and her life, not saying that is a bad but it did not amuse me.---Ronnie E
There is absolutely no reason to discuss The House on Mango Street because it is unanimously hated by students in 8th grade. The book was boring, pointless, and poorly written. I personally know of no one who could even stand the book, and I believe that no one would enjoy discussing it next week. William- G
The House on Mango Street was, by many standards, a good book. It was interestingly written, in a way that personifies the narrator's poor English. It was not a bad book, it was simply a book I did not enjoy. Esperanza was not a very interesting character and one who I found myself unable to connect with in any way. But that could be because of the vignettes. The vignettes were not written in a way that made connecting to the characters easy. The House on Mango Street is not a book I personally enjoyed, nor would I like to discuss it.
The House on Mango Street was the worse book I had ever read. The book had a boring plot, and an annoying narrator. There was little space between chapters and the chapters were about stuff I did not like. For example, one of the chapters was about everyone's hair. I as a 8th grade boy care little for the different hair of a family of a girl i dislike. The narrator generally bored me and sounded like a 9 year old child. I know the book was at one point about a 9 year old child, but I do not want to read about that. Appealing books for an 8th grade boy do not include annoying little girl book that just ramble on about her life. I would not want to discuss it next week and would rather discuss something else. A better book would be Mockingjay. That book is enjoyed by tons of people, including a lot of people at school.
I don’t think that we should discuss The House on Mango Street next week during class because I did not enjoy the book. I was not particularly fond of the style of writing that the book offered. Also, the book did not make much sense to me and didn’t have a good storyline to follow. It didn’t capture my attention, so it was much harder to concentrate on what was going on. Although The House on Mango Street wasn’t a horrible book, I did not enjoy reading it and I feel that the class discussions wouldn’t generate much conversation.
The House on Mango Street is a book that is suited for some readers and dreadful for others. It was personally dreadful for me. Although is see the plot of the story, I don’t see the point of writing a book in such a way that is of this story. The book doesn’t grab my attention at all because throughout the story, the main character Esperanza just complains about her house and how life in her new neighborhood is so bad that she just mopes around all day. Esperanza’s demeanor is one that is unfavorable by my standards. She always talks about how bad things are and how she’s going to get out of the neighborhood, but never tries to fix anything, she just lives with it. I especially hate the way she goes on and on about how she dreads her name. I also do not like my name, but you don’t see me going around and complaining to everyone about how I wish my name was Oscar or Jimmy. The whole book just does not fit me and I think the negative attitude and way of living in Esperanza’s life made me just want to stop reading the book, burry it, and never think about it again.
Next week our English class should not discuss the book, The House on Mango Street. The House on Mango Street was a book that did not make much since and was not a well written book. The book was more of just a bunch of poems clustered together that all related to the "plot" of the so called story. A book that had a better plot and that was better written, would be more open for discussion. I definitely think that we should not go over this book during our class, and would benefit more if we discussed something better than The House on Mango Street.
We should not discuss the House on Mango Street next week in class. We shouldn’t talk about it and isn’t even worth our time because I believe it was so poorly written. This book did not flow well at all from chapter to chapter, and it seemed to me as if it did not have a clear direction or plot. It was basically a bunch of short stories about a girl’s life that didn’t really have a point. Not only that but, I think we should spend the whole next week enjoying the last couple days we have left with you as our teacher. As we all know, there will be big conflict and more than likely chaos that happens in this class. If we do end up talking about the book in class, it will not be enjoyable because I think the grade will be acting crazy and yelling because of their strong feelings about the book. Overall, the book was written very poorly, and if you want to remember the last days with us as good ones, until you see us again, than we should not talk about the House on Mango Street in class. Sasha-G
The House on Mango Street was not one of those books that could be interesting to one reader yet really boring to another. This book expressed the move to “The House on Mango Street” for Esperanza, the narrator, and her family. Sandra Cisneros made the book jumped from scene to scene without spending enough time to go into detail on one part of the book and this made the book feel disjointed. I did not enjoy this book and do not want to go over this during class. I was never able to get into to the book and be able to concentrate on what was going on. It continued to lose my attention and never allowed me to get the feel for the book. I can tell that Sandra tried to get the reader the feel the book the way she felt it, but the book was not well developed. I would not recommend this book, for it was very unattractive.
In my opinion, I personally think that it was a good book and you should discus it in class. It was a good book because it was something different to read about a girl that is less fortunate that you are. Esperanza was a Mexican girl who lives with her family. They have moved from house to house and never had a chance to call a house a home. That's why in this book we get to find out how the family lives by moving so much.
The 8th Grade should not have to go threw a whole discussion on "The House on Mango Street" because it was a horrible piece of literature. The reasons for this was because, first off, the book was very broken up into random stories that had nothing to do with the main point of the book. Also, the book was confusing in many ways and it explained people that had no need explaining because they were not mentioned for the rest of the book. Even though there was a main point of the book the author was not able to completely fill in all of her thoughts. It was way to broken up and confusing. This is why the 8th grade should not have a conversation about "The House on Mango Street".
I hate The House on Mango Street because it was a boring, pointless, torture to read book. The main character seemed to be an immature child throughout the book doing nothing but talking about other people and without giving detail about herself. It’s as if the author thinks that the readers already know who she is and about her personality. The book didn’t have a plot whatsoever and it skipped to different things every chapter without transitioning. From my experience of reading The House on Mango Street, I think this book is the most meaningless book ever. Garner-G
I personally think that we should not discuss the book, The House on Mango Street during class. I do not think that we should discuss this book because it did not make any sense and by discussing it will just make it more confusing. Even though I liked the fact it was short and a quick read there is just no point in discussing it. Instead of discussing it we should being doing more useful things. Overall, The House on Mango Street was an awful book.
While The House on Mango Street was not the worst book that I have ever read, it was certainly not my favorite and we should absolutely not discuss it in class next week. While the stories by themselves were not literary masterpieces, they were somewhat acceptable. However, as a whole they made for a disconnected and discombobulated novel. While I can appreciate the fact that no two stories were the same, they were so disconnected that they all belonged in completely different books. None of them followed any sort of plot, even loosely, except for the fact that all of them contained a girl named Esperanza, but that was not enough to connect them. The writing could have made up for the poor content, but the quality of writing throughout the book was questionable at best. I was very disappointed in the book because when reading the overview, I thought that the book had an interesting topic and had the potential to be very intriguing. Unfortunately, I can’t think of a time when I was more let down by the worth of a book, and therefore we should not have to talk about it in English class.
I strongly suggest that we do not go over The House on Mango Street. It was a boring, and did not have an interesting plot. It was one of the worst books that I have ever read in my life. It is not a good book for a group of eighth grade students to read because there was absolutely no excitement and Esperanza was not a very interesting main character. I could barely keep my focus on the book when I was reading it and the author just jumped from scene to scene. There was also not enough detail. I would definitely not recommend this book and future 8th graders should not read it. If we go over this book it will not be an interesting conversation and I will not be able to pay attention.
The House on Mango Street by Sandra Cisneros is a novel that is not worth being put into our class discussions next week. The book is short and would waste valuable class time trying to get every class to comprehend it. The class time we would earn from not reviewing the House on Mango Street could be used towards discussing our choice books that we read throughout the summer. By discussing those books, good books would be recommended to students. Most students feel negative towards the House on Mango Street so a lot of class time would be used for complaining about the book and no student would want to try their best on any assignment involving the House on Mango Street. From what I know, it is hard to relate to the main character and therefore the book is not interesting enough to discuss. Also, our last week with Mrs. Keene should be used towards writing with Mrs. Keene and more positive class activities. Because of the low level of interest, waste of class time, and the potential of lower grades, the 8th grade English class should not include the House on Mango Street in their future class discussions. Caroline - C
We should not discuss The House on Mango Street in English class this year. The topics that are covered in this book are too advanced for our class. I think that some members of our class are not mature enough for some of the themes covered. Also I think out of all the books we read this summer this was the least well written. This was the only book that I had to struggle through, and it was only 100 pages.
The Class of 2015 should not discuss The House on Mango Street. First of all, The House on Mango Street is a horrendous book with no plot. Next, the book did not have a meaning or affect on my life. The book could have been interpreted in so many different ways that would take a long time to discuss. Also, the book is not easily understood and students would not do well on a quiz. In addition, the book does not follow the Hero’s Journey and Esperanza would be very hard to understand as being a flat or round character. By discussing The House on Mango Street, we would be wasting English time that we could use to do something productive.
The Class of 2015 should not discuss The House on Mango Street. First of all, The House on Mango Street is a horrendous book with no plot. Next, the book did not have a meaning or affect on my life. The book could have been interpreted in so many different ways that would take a long time to discuss. Also, the book is not easily understood and students would not do well on a quiz. In addition, the book does not follow the Hero’s Journey and Esperanza would be very hard to understand as being a flat or round character. By discussing The House on Mango Street, we would be wasting English time that we could use to do something productive.
The book The House on Mango Street is a great book for teaching this year and for the years coming. The main character follows the three hallmarks and this is a great tool to use for the class as it is a great example. The plot is also very interesting and is very influential on students our age. Abbas-C
I would be rather infuriated if in class we went over the House on Mango Street. It had little to no plot, and the plot that it did have was quite confusing in my opinion. Since the book had very little plot, I don’t recall much of anything. Even if we did review the House on Mango Street, it would be pointless because there is no plot to speak of. Rather than review the House on Mango Street, we should begin another book. The 8th grade class should not review the House on Mango Street.
The House on Mango Street by Sandra Cisneros is about the life of a girl named Esperenza. Esperenza is about 12 year’s old living in Chicago. The book begins explaining how she has just moved into her first house, a huge improvement from the prior apartment. However, the house is not what Esperanza has dreamed of, because it is run-down and small. The house is in the center of a crowded Latino neighborhood in Chicago. Esperanza ultimately decides that she will someday leave Mango Street and have a house all her own. Over the next few years Sandra Cisneros explains Esperanza growth in maturity, sexuality, and emotions. Alongside with a few of my fellow classmates I believe that we should discuss the book The House on Mango Street because the concept of the story stays on topic with our discussion of the three hallmarks of coming of age. The three hallmarks include coming of age growth in maturity and putting humanity over self needs. In the book Esperanza grows in maturity, and has classes with authority several times in the book. In my opinion Esperanza fulfills the hallmarks more times than ender does. Although she doesn’t encounter the hallmark of putting humanity over herself some of the hallmarks she does face are when she grows mature enough to get a job and clashes with her mother. Overall I believe that it is important to discuss The House on Mango Street if we want to keep on topic.
We should not discuss House of Mango street by Sandra Cisneros during English class. I thought that the book was very bad and a waste of my summer. There is no plot and it seems like there is just a bunch of stories put into the book. Even though the House of Mango Street was not a long book it felt like it because it was not attention-grabbing at all. We should not discuss the house on Mango Street because if we have a quiz or test on the book there are not things to study for since the book so confusing. For example, Esperanza, the main character might be talking about her neighbor in one chapter and in the next chapter she would take about her grandfather dyeing. Therefore we should not discuss the House on Mango Street by Sandra Cisneros. Kennedi Walker-E
I do not think that we should discuss during class the book, the House on Mango Street. I did not enjoy this book because it jumped around a lot. This means that it went from one topic to another. This book did not have a main plot point. Therefore, it became a confusing book to understand. Although talking about this book may help me understand it better, I do not believe this book is important enough to take time away from class to discuss it. This is why I do not think we should discuss the House on Mango Street during class.
ReplyDeleteBlakely Rippner - C block
I think that if we discuss The House on Mango Street students will be rebellious towards this decision and not pay attention. This book is very boring and is hard to read. This will make a class discussion about The House on Mango Street very dull and unnecessary. If we were to work on other things, like writing or vocabulary, the class would be more active and students would pay more attention. This would essentially teach the students more and make everybody happier.
ReplyDeleteElliot C-8
We should not discuss the book The House On Mango Street because it was a poorly constructed book and had no plot. Since the book has no plot it was a very hard book to follow and understand. I found myself reading and rereading almost every paragraph. As a result it would not be fair to discuss a book that most people did not understand. All in all I think it would be unfair to discuss the book The House On Mango street for those reasons.
ReplyDeleteHaley-C
I do not think we should discuss The House on Mango Street in class. When I read this book, I could not understand what the point or the main goal of the story was. The way the character writes is hard to understand, all over the place, and very hard to relate to. For instance, she talks about so many different topics yet she never truly gets her point across. Also, many people in this grade did not enjoy reading this book and they don't want to discuss it because it didn't make sense to them. I am one of those people. Because this book was so hard to relate to, I also felt like the character was needy and annoying, this makes the topic miserable to talk and write about in class. This is why I feel we should skip discussion of this book and talk more about writing skills and ways to improve on English skills. Since Ms. Keene will be gone until January, it is imperative that we use our time with her to learn more about the basics and necessary skills.
ReplyDeleteSincerely, Gabrielle-C
I do not think we should discuss The House on Mango Street in class. When I read this book, I could not understand what the point or the main goal of the story was. The way the character writes is hard to understand, all over the place, and very hard to relate to. For instance, she talks about so many different topics yet she never truly gets her point across. Also, many people in this grade did not enjoy reading this book and they don't want to discuss it because it didn't make sense to them. I am one of those people. Because this book was so hard to relate to, I also felt like the character was needy and annoying, this makes the topic miserable to talk and write about in class. This is why I feel we should skip discussion of this book and talk more about writing skills and ways to improve on English skills. Since Ms. Keene will be gone until January, it is imperative that we use our time with her to learn more about the basics and necessary skills.
ReplyDeleteSincerely, Gabrielle-C
We should not discuss the book The House on Mango Street. Many people in the grade did not understand the book and thought that there was no plot. If we go over The House on Mango Street, students will not know what to say and will be clueless. Also, students will not want to participate because they didn’t like the book and they just want to be done with it. Books that we discuss should be books that the grade likes and understands. For example, everybody liked going over Ender’s Game and having discussions because they enjoyed the book. Our class should not waste our time discussing a book when no one wants to when we can discuss a book that students do want to go over.
ReplyDeleteAlexa - C
We should not discuss The House on Mango Street in class because; it is an all-around poorly developed book. The story did not present a strong enough plot; it skipped throughout her life at an antagonizing rate. Also the writing style of the author didn’t clearly follow the story line, thus adding to the already poorly written book. In English class we should be learning how to properly develop our reading and writing skills. And this disgrace of a book does not appropriately suit this class or grade level and would be a misuse to class time. The House on Mango Street is not fit to be considered an 8th grade book, and therefore should not be discussed in class.
ReplyDeleteWilliam Uhalt- C
We should not be slated to discuss the book The House on Mango Street because it was confusing, uninteresting, and did not have a strong plot. Because the dialogue throughout the book had no quotation marks, I found it difficult to know when someone was speaking. The story was divided into small chapters that all talked about different things instead of following where the last chapter left off. The divisions of small, random chapters also made the book hard to follow, and sometimes I was unable to identify the characters because they were not introduced very well. Without strong character definition, the story became very uninteresting. All of these problems led to a weak and confusing story plot that did not identify how long the main character, Esperanza, lived in the house on Mango Street. We should not be slated to read The House on Mango Street because students will not be able to write strong paragraphs about a book that was not that good.
ReplyDeleteSarauniya-C
I do not think that we should be forced to go through the strenuous torture of discussing The House on Mango Street. This book did not have a clear or structured plot at all, so it would be very hard to discuss. Also, I do not think that the rest of our class would enjoy discussing this book either. If we had to discuss this horrid book as a class, without anyone actually being involved and enjoying it, no one would get anything out of it. So, overall, if we discussed The House on Mango Street, it would just be a big waste of time.
ReplyDeleteI really believe that there is no point in even discussing The House on Mango Street. I did not enjoy reading at all. First, the book was just a series of scattered events that did not really have any point to them. They were not poems or organized bits of creative writing, but just random pieces of information. Second, the few stories the author told were not interesting or gripping in any way. If the story flowed a bit more than I think it would be a great idea to review it, but since it did not I do not think there is any reason to ever speak of The House on Mango Street again.
ReplyDeleteJulian -D
Our eighth grade English class should not discuss The House on Mango Street next week. This book, if it can even be called that, has no plot whatsoever. It jumps from random story to random story and never stays on one topic for more than three pages. This makes for a very confusing read. Also, the characters described in the book rarely appear more than twice. Plus, there is not much to discuss about the book. Since there is essentially no plot the most our class could discuss is how much we disliked the book. Although this would be quite humorous and entertaining for the first day or two, it would get old after a while and we would not get anything accomplished. While I understand that the format of the book is intended to be in the form of a young girl’s diary, it is simply not written well enough to catch the interest of most eighth graders, which is why we should not discuss it next week.
ReplyDeleteDrew - D
Inevitably next week we are going to have to discuss The House on Mango Street which we read over the summer. Most people in the 8th grade did not enjoy having to read the book because the book had a very little amount of confusing, pointless, and JANKY plot, which would keep most students from being at all interested in the discussions. This would create a bad reaction with the grade, keeping them from learning anything, which would be a massive waste of time. All of this wasted time could be used to teach more important topics. The seriously low amount of teaching things that the students would learn would enrage the parents, causing more trouble for Ms. Keene and the Newman Administration. If we do not have to discuss The House on Mango Street then we would waste a ton of time.
ReplyDeleteJack Stern - D
We should definitely not discuss the House on Mango Street next week, because the book had no point what-so-ever. Each chapter was only about four pages at max, but each chapter was different. It was more like a book full of pointless short stories, which never came together and was no overall subject. Each paragraph was so different, it went from an old fat lady moving in across the street, to her and her friends getting fancy shoes and one of her friends giving a hobo a kiss, to her dreaming about an amazing house, or finally to her and her sister in a neighbors’ garden that used to be magical and had a monkey, but is now dull since the neighbors moved out and left Mango Street. We should not talk about the House on Mango Street because overall this book was just completely JANKY.
ReplyDeleteJohn David Bailey – English 8 – D
The 8th grade English class should not discuss the House on Mango Street. Next week is Mrs. Keene's last week and I can ensure you that many students will be unpleased with the discussion of the book. Not only will the students be unpleased with the book discussion, they will also have a memory of Mrs. Keene being as boring as the book. If Mrs. Keene wants to torture the more than 75% of the class who hate this book, then I say she should go for it. However, I believe that Mrs. Keene's intentions are not to do so. Mrs. Keene once said, "My intentions of this English class are to make my students enjoy English in an interactive way." Overall, Mrs. Keene would be going out of her way and against her own personal views if next week she makes her students discuss The House on Mango Street.
ReplyDeleteKyla-D
We should not study The House on Mango Street because it is pointless. It is pointless there is really no story line. In other words there really was not a story to follow and when there was it was boring and slow. Also The House on Mango Street does not exhibit the coming of age hallmarks or hero’s journey. Since we are learning about that, this book would not help reinforce those ideas. Another reason why we should not study this book is because it was boring. Therefore if we discuss it in class or write a paper about it mostly likely we will zone out or not try. Lastly, this book had a lot of random “stories” that made no sense to me. Which made me zone out. In conclusion this book was a waste of time and we should not discuss it in class.
ReplyDeleteAshton Politz - D
I strongly believe that the House on Mango Street is one of the most irrelevant books I have ever read. There are no literary elements in the very short and boring story line. The characters are dull and it feels like they’re wondering are around a dark void. The only reason I read the book is because I was not sure what to except from Newman. Now I realize that almost all of my fellow classmates despised this God awful excuse for a good book, and I robustly agree with them. I hope when you read this Ms. Keene you examine your conscience and not bore the 8th grade English into sleep.
ReplyDeleteGeorge Casey- D
We, the Newman eighth graders, should not discuss The House on Mango Street for many reasons. First, of the many eighth graders I have talked to, all of them greatly dislike The House on Mango Street. This will make any discussion we have unenthusiastic, and anything that we learn will be soon after forgotten. In addition, The House on Mango Street does not follow many rules of the English language. The effect of this will be that many of my fellow students will go home next weekend thinking that quotations are not necessary among other things. One could say that our teacher could tell us this, but many of the students would not pay attention because of their extreme dislike of The House on Mango Street. All of this would make any discussion of The House on Mango Street pointless and tiresome.
ReplyDeleteAli Rahman - D
The majority of my classmates and I all agree that The House on Mango Street was the least interesting book that most of us have ever read. One reason because of this is because of the random thoughts scrambled throughout the book that made it hard to follow. Not only were these facts placed at random, but they were not the kind of facts that make up a good book. The facts were boring and most students can not relate with them. Another reason this book is not a class hit is because of the plot. There was barley any plot and the little amount there was, I could not follow or compare with. All of the information backing up the plot made no sense. The last example was that there was no apparent begging or ending of the book. The reason that there could not be a beginning or ending is because of the randomly placed information that I talked about earlier in the paragraph. Since there was no order to the random ideas, there could be no ending. The House on Mango Street was a bad reading choice mainly because of the random thoughts and information and the lack of a plot.
ReplyDeleteZack Backstrom - D
The House on Mango Street is about a girl named Esperanza that moves to a house on Mango Street. Ms. Keene wants us to discuss this book next week. We should not discuss The House on Mango Street. We should not discuss this book because it is not an interesting book. Almost all of us did not like this book and think that it won the jankiest book award. We also think that there is no plot to The House on Mango Street. If we do discuss it would be a very boring class for us. We would tell the younger classes and it will not make them excited for 8th grade English. Also next week is Kanuga, so most of us are excited about going and we will not be thinking about discussing the book. As a result, we will not be listening and if there is a test or quiz we will not be ready for it. This is why we should not discuss The House on Mango Street next week.
ReplyDeleteCora-D
I do not think that we should go over the book The House on Mango Street. In my opinion this book was a terrible waste of time that only depressed the week of summer that I spent reading it. The book had no plot or conclusion and the entire story could be summed up in one sentence. The books only true statement is that when you live somewhere you acquire a love for that place no matter how bad you feel when you are there. The entire book was spent in the thoughts of Experanza, this was a waste of time because she couldn’t decide if she liked living on Mango Street or not. So I would as Ms. Keene to please be nice and don’t torture the 8th grade by making us review the House on Mango Street.
ReplyDeleteJames - D
For English class over the summer, we had to read The House on Mango Street. Next week we have to go over it in class and I think that that will be a waste of time. All the book was about was a girl that moved into a house on Mango Street. Instead of having things going on throughout the book, it skips around and doesn’t have a plot. Imagine having to read a book with no plot? It is not very interesting. I think this book could have been good if there was a big event in the middle but there was not. Because there was no plot, I don’t know how The House on Mango Street won an award. I mean the writing is good but I would never read this book again. Elena - D
ReplyDeleteThe House on Mango Street has no plot or point. It does not thoroughly describe the reason that the book is written. The author never cleverly shows her point for explaining Esperanza’s life. Secondly the novel will not reinforce our learning experience in English and would be a waste of time if we went over it during three days. Unlike Ender’s Game or Into the Wild it does not have the feeling of drawing the reader to keep on reading. The House on Mango Street has no qualities that a non – fiction book should have; it has no real appearing story that makes people want to read on, it has no facts and useful information. All in all The House on Mango Street is a janky book.
ReplyDeleteMatthew - D
Although I loved the book House on Mango Street, I don't think we should review the book. I personally think that the entire grade would prefer not to have an additional test. It would mean extra studying, extra preparation on both parts, for you and for the students. If we also have an extra test, you would have to grade all of them which is even more work for you. As well as grading all of the tests, you will have to create the test. So if you want extra work and if you don't want to give all of the us, being the students, any extra studying to do, i suggest that you don't make us go over the book The House on Mango Street.
ReplyDeleteSarah - E
The House on Mango Street was a horrible piece of fiction. Mango Street not only made no sense, but it angered me when I read it. That is how bad it was. So, obviously I am making a case against it. The book had no specific plot, and if you could argue there was one, it made absolutely no sense. It was also one of the most boring books I have ever read.
ReplyDeleteThe book The House on Mango street was horrific. It would never stay on the same point. This did not allow the story to develop. Even if the book would have been developed the story was not interesting. After reading the book I was in a bad mood for the following hours. It was by far the worst book I have ever read. We should not review this book and have a quiz on it. With that being said you should make next year's eighth graders read it because I do not like them.
ReplyDeleteWalt-E
We should not discuss the book House on Mango Street because all of our discussions will be boring and it is not a very educational book. The book is extremely boring and most of the students in the 8th grade have no positive opinions about the book. Our whole grade would agree that talking about the book would be a very boring class discussion. The book House on Mango Street has no main plot and no main story line. This book would be hard to talk about for a whole 45 minutes because there is not much to talk about. The House on Mango Street should not be discussed during class for these reasons.
ReplyDeletethank you and goodbye
Kevin - E
We should not discuss or be tested on The House on Mango Street next week in class. The chapters of the book were written very sporadically, and many of them made very little sense. They jumped around through the main character, Esperanza’s life a little too much for the reader of the book to keep up with the story. There was an over abundant amount different characters, and most of them were irrelevant to the plot of the book (which itself was almost nonexistent, therefore, there would not be much for us to discuss anyway). Not much detail or dialogue was put into the book to make the pages flow smoothly and paint color pictures in the readers head, unlike the other required reading books, which although not all of them were the best books ever, I was able to tolerate reading them. Also, some parts were hard to read because they were in Spanish, and I don’t speak Spanish at all. The book should've had some sort of Spanish dictionary in the back, so that English speakers could understand important words that the characters were saying. I don't really feel that this book was good to read at school because the characters were flat, there was no real lesson learned, and the book was not entertaining to read. The books we read over the summer, should motivated us students to want to read more books, and actually enjoy reading, and this book did not meet expectations. I think the upcoming 8th graders would appreciate it a lot of this repugnant book was taken out of the curriculum, and a more exciting and conversation worthy book was put in its place.
ReplyDelete- Jamie Hawkins (E Block)
Next week, Ms. Keene plans to have the 8th grade discuss The House on Mango Street. While the book is very well recommended and suggested to many people, the grade collectively disliked it. We didn’t enjoy this book because the plot wasn’t clear and the story wasn’t exciting enough to hold our attention. The book was about a young Mexican girl and her life experiences. A majority of the students didn’t like to read this book because they thought that her life was boring and bland. If many of the students didn’t enjoy this book, they wouldn’t be enriched by the lesson making the lesson pointless. With Ms. Keene having a baby, she should use her time to the fullest and try to help her students as much as she can before she has to leave. The pointless lesson would also be taking up a week’s time which could be used for more appropriate academic subjects. Ultimately, if Ms. Keene cares about using the rest of her time with her students for topics that would contribute to the students futures, she should not waste her time on The House on Mango Street.
ReplyDeleteRiley-E
I do not think we should read The House on Mango Street because was is a horrific book. The book made no sense, and made me hate literature. I never really understood what was going on in the book. Not only did it make no sense and make me despise literature, the whole book was short poems. There are only so many short poems I want. Also, I never had a connection to the characters, which made me not want to want to read about them. If I never care about the character, how am I supposed to care one bit about the book? Not only that, but there was so many characters, I could not keep track. I despise The House on Mango Street and I never want to see that book again.
ReplyDeleteDavid Gertler-E
I do not believe that we should read The House on Mango Street. The book did not have a plot, nor was it easily understandable. Not only did the majority of the grade not enjoy or understand the book, but you, Ms. Keene, did not like the book, either. The book jumped around and never stayed on a single story. Normally, I enjoy reading poetry books, but simply thinking about the book frustrates me, mostly because I did not understand it. Many kids in the grade would agree with me. Also, many people, if there were a quiz or test on the book, would not do well. This book is not relatable and has no effect on our lives. The book was simply not good.
ReplyDeleteKatherine-E
I believe that we should not discuss or have a quiz on The House on Mango Street. The book was a mix of stories that didn’t make since. The short stories were very dull and had no point in them. If we did talk about the book there would not be a lot to talk about because it was so plain. Esperanza only complained about how she wanted a bigger house and a better life style. If we end up discussing the book next week the discussion won’t last very long because no one wants to talk about it. In addition, it would be wasting time. It was very easy to read but it was hard to understand. It was hard to understand because there was no specific plot. To sum up The House on Mango Street in one word would be close to impossible because there were too many stories that didn’t go together.
ReplyDeleteBrittany-E
The House on Mango Street was a very odd book and while reading it I could not get attached. I do not think we should discuss nor have a quiz on this book next week. This is because this book was not very good and was all over the place. This book had no real meaning, and did not teach the reader any important morals or make the reader revaluate something important in their life. Furthermore, it did not have a main plot therefore it was a little confusing, and made the book not enjoyable. In addition, while reading the book is was hard for the reader to find any real connection to Esperanza or any other main character. When reading a book, people want to feel like they are part of it, and can actually imagine the characters in real life; however this book did not give that sort of feeling. It was almost dry with no real tie to real life or to real people, and did not leave any imprint in my mind. Overall, The House on Mango Street was not very enjoyable and did not benefit our look on life or our outlook on reading and therefore we should not discuss it or have a quiz on it.
ReplyDeleteJenna Mintz - E
The House on Mango Street book is horrible. This book does not really have a plot, the words are very easy and do not give us a challenge when reading. The characters are not creative and no one wants to read this type of book. The plot of this book (if there was one) is terrible. I cannot make out what exactly this book is about. There are none rising action, climate, or falling action in this story. The book does not make sense and neither do the chapter. Each chapter skips from on topic to another without even a transition. We should discuss about House on Mango Street next week.
ReplyDeleteThe House on Mango Street was not a good book for many reasons. First of all it was not good because there was no plot. Another reason it wasn’t good is because the book skipped along with these one to four page stories of her life that didn’t really go with any of the other stories. Since the book was one of the worst books I have ever read in my life, I did not like it which made me not concentrate on the book. Therefore we should not talk about it and be quizzed on it, because I do not remember most of the book, even though I read it.
ReplyDeleteWyatt -E
I think that we should not talk about The House on Mango Street next week in class. The House on Mango Street was not one of my favorite books and I thought it was boring. It jumps around too much throughout the chapters, which are only about three pages long. I think there is not enough detail in the book for us to talk about. Also, I think a majority of the class thinks it is boring and random as well. I think we should continue on something else than The House on Mango Street.
ReplyDeleteJames Gibert- E
I strongly disliked the book the house on mango street because it was not interesting, and not meant for boys. It was boring because nothing thrilling happened in the book and nothing made me want to read it. If the book had a little bit more intense storyline it would have been better. The book seemed it was not intended for guys but girls. I say that because nothing caught my interest as a guy, but I could see how it would to a girl because the book was based around a girl and her life, not saying that is a bad but it did not amuse me.---Ronnie E
ReplyDeleteThere is absolutely no reason to discuss The House on Mango Street because it is unanimously hated by students in 8th grade. The book was boring, pointless, and poorly written. I personally know of no one who could even stand the book, and I believe that no one would enjoy discussing it next week.
ReplyDeleteWilliam- G
The House on Mango Street was, by many standards, a good book. It was interestingly written, in a way that personifies the narrator's poor English. It was not a bad book, it was simply a book I did not enjoy. Esperanza was not a very interesting character and one who I found myself unable to connect with in any way. But that could be because of the vignettes. The vignettes were not written in a way that made connecting to the characters easy. The House on Mango Street is not a book I personally enjoyed, nor would I like to discuss it.
ReplyDeleteMiranda-G
The House on Mango Street was the worse book I had ever read. The book had a boring plot, and an annoying narrator. There was little space between chapters and the chapters were about stuff I did not like. For example, one of the chapters was about everyone's hair. I as a 8th grade boy care little for the different hair of a family of a girl i dislike. The narrator generally bored me and sounded like a 9 year old child. I know the book was at one point about a 9 year old child, but I do not want to read about that. Appealing books for an 8th grade boy do not include annoying little girl book that just ramble on about her life. I would not want to discuss it next week and would rather discuss something else. A better book would be Mockingjay. That book is enjoyed by tons of people, including a lot of people at school.
ReplyDelete- Michael McAlpine
I don’t think that we should discuss The House on Mango Street next week during class because I did not enjoy the book. I was not particularly fond of the style of writing that the book offered. Also, the book did not make much sense to me and didn’t have a good storyline to follow. It didn’t capture my attention, so it was much harder to concentrate on what was going on. Although The House on Mango Street wasn’t a horrible book, I did not enjoy reading it and I feel that the class discussions wouldn’t generate much conversation.
ReplyDeleteJulia-G
The House on Mango Street is a book that is suited for some readers and dreadful for others. It was personally dreadful for me. Although is see the plot of the story, I don’t see the point of writing a book in such a way that is of this story. The book doesn’t grab my attention at all because throughout the story, the main character Esperanza just complains about her house and how life in her new neighborhood is so bad that she just mopes around all day. Esperanza’s demeanor is one that is unfavorable by my standards. She always talks about how bad things are and how she’s going to get out of the neighborhood, but never tries to fix anything, she just lives with it. I especially hate the way she goes on and on about how she dreads her name. I also do not like my name, but you don’t see me going around and complaining to everyone about how I wish my name was Oscar or Jimmy. The whole book just does not fit me and I think the negative attitude and way of living in Esperanza’s life made me just want to stop reading the book, burry it, and never think about it again.
ReplyDeleteJay - G
Next week our English class should not discuss the book, The House on Mango Street. The House on Mango Street was a book that did not make much since and was not a well written book. The book was more of just a bunch of poems clustered together that all related to the "plot" of the so called story. A book that had a better plot and that was better written, would be more open for discussion. I definitely think that we should not go over this book during our class, and would benefit more if we discussed something better than The House on Mango Street.
ReplyDeleteWe should not discuss the House on Mango Street next week in class. We shouldn’t talk about it and isn’t even worth our time because I believe it was so poorly written. This book did not flow well at all from chapter to chapter, and it seemed to me as if it did not have a clear direction or plot. It was basically a bunch of short stories about a girl’s life that didn’t really have a point. Not only that but, I think we should spend the whole next week enjoying the last couple days we have left with you as our teacher. As we all know, there will be big conflict and more than likely chaos that happens in this class. If we do end up talking about the book in class, it will not be enjoyable because I think the grade will be acting crazy and yelling because of their strong feelings about the book. Overall, the book was written very poorly, and if you want to remember the last days with us as good ones, until you see us again, than we should not talk about the House on Mango Street in class.
ReplyDeleteSasha-G
The House on Mango Street was not one of those books that could be interesting to one reader yet really boring to another. This book expressed the move to “The House on Mango Street” for Esperanza, the narrator, and her family. Sandra Cisneros made the book jumped from scene to scene without spending enough time to go into detail on one part of the book and this made the book feel disjointed. I did not enjoy this book and do not want to go over this during class. I was never able to get into to the book and be able to concentrate on what was going on. It continued to lose my attention and never allowed me to get the feel for the book. I can tell that Sandra tried to get the reader the feel the book the way she felt it, but the book was not well developed. I would not recommend this book, for it was very unattractive.
ReplyDeleteKendall-G
In my opinion, I personally think that it was a good book and you should discus it in class. It was a good book because it was something different to read about a girl that is less fortunate that you are. Esperanza was a Mexican girl who lives with her family. They have moved from house to house and never had a chance to call a house a home. That's why in this book we get to find out how the family lives by moving so much.
ReplyDeleteThe 8th Grade should not have to go threw a whole discussion on "The House on Mango Street" because it was a horrible piece of literature. The reasons for this was because, first off, the book was very broken up into random stories that had nothing to do with the main point of the book. Also, the book was confusing in many ways and it explained people that had no need explaining because they were not mentioned for the rest of the book. Even though there was a main point of the book the author was not able to completely fill in all of her thoughts. It was way to broken up and confusing. This is why the 8th grade should not have a conversation about "The House on Mango Street".
ReplyDeleteI hate The House on Mango Street because it was a boring, pointless, torture to read book. The main character seemed to be an immature child throughout the book doing nothing but talking about other people and without giving detail about herself. It’s as if the author thinks that the readers already know who she is and about her personality. The book didn’t have a plot whatsoever and it skipped to different things every chapter without transitioning. From my experience of reading The House on Mango Street, I think this book is the most meaningless book ever.
ReplyDeleteGarner-G
I personally think that we should not discuss the book, The House on Mango Street during class. I do not think that we should discuss this book because it did not make any sense and by discussing it will just make it more confusing. Even though I liked the fact it was short and a quick read there is just no point in discussing it. Instead of discussing it we should being doing more useful things. Overall, The House on Mango Street was an awful book.
ReplyDeleteCharlotte Huger- G
While The House on Mango Street was not the worst book that I have ever read, it was certainly not my favorite and we should absolutely not discuss it in class next week. While the stories by themselves were not literary masterpieces, they were somewhat acceptable. However, as a whole they made for a disconnected and discombobulated novel. While I can appreciate the fact that no two stories were the same, they were so disconnected that they all belonged in completely different books. None of them followed any sort of plot, even loosely, except for the fact that all of them contained a girl named Esperanza, but that was not enough to connect them. The writing could have made up for the poor content, but the quality of writing throughout the book was questionable at best. I was very disappointed in the book because when reading the overview, I thought that the book had an interesting topic and had the potential to be very intriguing. Unfortunately, I can’t think of a time when I was more let down by the worth of a book, and therefore we should not have to talk about it in English class.
ReplyDeleteNathaniel- G
I strongly suggest that we do not go over The House on Mango Street. It was a boring, and did not have an interesting plot. It was one of the worst books that I have ever read in my life. It is not a good book for a group of eighth grade students to read because there was absolutely no excitement and Esperanza was not a very interesting main character. I could barely keep my focus on the book when I was reading it and the author just jumped from scene to scene. There was also not enough detail. I would definitely not recommend this book and future 8th graders should not read it. If we go over this book it will not be an interesting conversation and I will not be able to pay attention.
ReplyDeleteGarda- G
The House on Mango Street by Sandra Cisneros is a novel that is not worth being put into our class discussions next week. The book is short and would waste valuable class time trying to get every class to comprehend it. The class time we would earn from not reviewing the House on Mango Street could be used towards discussing our choice books that we read throughout the summer. By discussing those books, good books would be recommended to students. Most students feel negative towards the House on Mango Street so a lot of class time would be used for complaining about the book and no student would want to try their best on any assignment involving the House on Mango Street. From what I know, it is hard to relate to the main character and therefore the book is not interesting enough to discuss. Also, our last week with Mrs. Keene should be used towards writing with Mrs. Keene and more positive class activities. Because of the low level of interest, waste of class time, and the potential of lower grades, the 8th grade English class should not include the House on Mango Street in their future class discussions.
ReplyDeleteCaroline - C
We should not discuss The House on Mango Street in English class this year. The topics that are covered in this book are too advanced for our class. I think that some members of our class are not mature enough for some of the themes covered. Also I think out of all the books we read this summer this was the least well written. This was the only book that I had to struggle through, and it was only 100 pages.
ReplyDeleteCharles Kelley - C
The Class of 2015 should not discuss The House on Mango Street. First of all, The House on Mango Street is a horrendous book with no plot. Next, the book did not have a meaning or affect on my life. The book could have been interpreted in so many different ways that would take a long time to discuss. Also, the book is not easily understood and students would not do well on a quiz. In addition, the book does not follow the Hero’s Journey and Esperanza would be very hard to understand as being a flat or round character. By discussing The House on Mango Street, we would be wasting English time that we could use to do something productive.
ReplyDeleteHannah - E
The Class of 2015 should not discuss The House on Mango Street. First of all, The House on Mango Street is a horrendous book with no plot. Next, the book did not have a meaning or affect on my life. The book could have been interpreted in so many different ways that would take a long time to discuss. Also, the book is not easily understood and students would not do well on a quiz. In addition, the book does not follow the Hero’s Journey and Esperanza would be very hard to understand as being a flat or round character. By discussing The House on Mango Street, we would be wasting English time that we could use to do something productive.
ReplyDeleteHannah - E
The book The House on Mango Street is a great book for teaching this year and for the years coming. The main character follows the three hallmarks and this is a great tool to use for the class as it is a great example. The plot is also very interesting and is very influential on students our age.
ReplyDeleteAbbas-C
I would be rather infuriated if in class we went over the House on Mango Street. It had little to no plot, and the plot that it did have was quite confusing in my opinion. Since the book had very little plot, I don’t recall much of anything. Even if we did review the House on Mango Street, it would be pointless because there is no plot to speak of. Rather than review the House on Mango Street, we should begin another book. The 8th grade class should not review the House on Mango Street.
ReplyDeletePaul-D
The House on Mango Street by Sandra Cisneros is about the life of a girl named Esperenza. Esperenza is about 12 year’s old living in Chicago. The book begins explaining how she has just moved into her first house, a huge improvement from the prior apartment. However, the house is not what Esperanza has dreamed of, because it is run-down and small. The house is in the center of a crowded Latino neighborhood in Chicago. Esperanza ultimately decides that she will someday leave Mango Street and have a house all her own. Over the next few years Sandra Cisneros explains Esperanza growth in maturity, sexuality, and emotions. Alongside with a few of my fellow classmates I believe that we should discuss the book The House on Mango Street because the concept of the story stays on topic with our discussion of the three hallmarks of coming of age. The three hallmarks include coming of age growth in maturity and putting humanity over self needs. In the book Esperanza grows in maturity, and has classes with authority several times in the book. In my opinion Esperanza fulfills the hallmarks more times than ender does. Although she doesn’t encounter the hallmark of putting humanity over herself some of the hallmarks she does face are when she grows mature enough to get a job and clashes with her mother. Overall I believe that it is important to discuss The House on Mango Street if we want to keep on topic.
ReplyDeleteWe should not discuss House of Mango street by Sandra Cisneros during English class. I thought that the book was very bad and a waste of my summer. There is no plot and it seems like there is just a bunch of stories put into the book. Even though the House of Mango Street was not a long book it felt like it because it was not attention-grabbing at all. We should not discuss the house on Mango Street because if we have a quiz or test on the book there are not things to study for since the book so confusing. For example, Esperanza, the main character might be talking about her neighbor in one chapter and in the next chapter she would take about her grandfather dyeing. Therefore we should not discuss the House on Mango Street by Sandra Cisneros.
ReplyDeleteKennedi Walker-E