Sunday, November 28, 2010

The Hobbit

Since this is the first year Newman 8th graders have read The Hobbit, I'm curious to hear your impressions. By Monday, December 6 at 3:15, please post one strong paragraph letting me know what you like and don't like about the book so far. Please be constructive and specific. Also, don't forget to answer my IR email!

60 comments:

  1. I really enjoy reading The Hobbit except for the fact that we have to take notes while we read. Taking notes makes it more difficult, less enjoyable, and not as fun. If were to be allowed not to take notes while we read, we would be able to read faster and more efficiently. Other than taking notes, I enjoy reading the book. I have enjoyed following the story as well as trying to figure out the riddles and play on words. My favorite part of the book is the descriptions and details. There is such good detail so it makes it easy to understand and gives you a good mental picture. So I conclude that my favorite part of the book is the detail and my least favorite part is the notes taking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The book The Hobbit is definitely the book that bores kids to sleep. I don’t like how the book is nonfiction and fiction because it just makes it like a regular book nothing special. If you’re going to have dwarves and hobbits in a book then you shouldn’t have the dwarves and hobbits having and doing fictional things. For examples they eat the same type of food humans do and they live in a same type of structured house but much smaller. Also if the hobbits don’t need gold and they have perfectly good lives then they shouldn’t be going on a journey. The book explained everything pretty well except I hate the riddles in the book. I understand how Hobbits and Dwarves like to sing songs and riddles but the riddles and songs are always brought up very random. The book is very boring and I am happy we are getting through it fast.
    Kevin- E

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Hobbit is a good book with an interesting plot, but it is not a page turner. The chapters are too long and the author looses my interest because he describes the surroundings so often. Sometimes the book goes on about the surroundings for a whole page. Also some parts of the book are very dull and the characters are just walking or traveling from place to place for a chapter. The chapters that are not very eventful and are just about them walking are almost painful for me to read because nothing interesting is going on. On the other hand some chapters are very eventful and these chapters keep me interested. I think the author should make more of the chapters about interesting events and challenges for the characters and cut out some of the chapters of them traveling. Overall the Hobbit has interesting parts and not so interesting parts that make it difficult to stay interested and concentrated while reading.
    Sasha-G

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Hobbit although being a classic does not really excite any interest while reading it. The book is not relatable to students and because of that the book becomes boring. Although it relates back to the World War that is not something that really excites me. Also, I feel as if the book is being dragged on. The characters have had so many adventures that it gets old after a while. In addition, sometimes it is hard to follow along because since there are so many adventures it gets confusing in what order they appeared in. Furthermore, I do not like how so many characters are popping up as the book progresses. In every adventure one or two more characters appear which makes it confusing as well. For example, there are elves in the Misty Mountains, but there are also wood elves. However, I do like how the scenery and characters became so vivid. Overall, The Hobbit is not a very exciting novel which makes it not enjoyable to read.

    Jenna-E

    ReplyDelete
  5. So far I don’t believe that I have read anything like the Hobbit before. I don’t usually read this genre of books. The book is well written and very detailed. It provides a very clear image of the fantasy world. I don’t really enjoy the book because it’s a lot of talk about mythical beings which I don’t usually enjoy reading about. I also get very confused at times and I have to reread the page. I feel like it skips over and it is hard to keep my attention because it drones on and on about subjects. Overall I don’t really enjoy the book so far.
    Riley 8-E

    ReplyDelete
  6. While reading our newest class literature, The Hobbit i established my own opinions on how i view the book. Being such and extraordinary class our grade has become the first 8th grade to read the hobbit. Along with the opinions of my companions i've come to realize this book is partly exciting and other parts just appear to be shallow and pedantic. From my point of view the book is to spread out and repeats to often. Repeatedly the riders loose their horses delaying their journey which often annoys me because it feels like its happened several times. Another frustration is the 15 page separation between exciting parts where almost always a storm appears. Besides this constructive criticism to the book some of the good parts include the amount of exciting parts the book is filled with and the great characters and plot. From my standpoint the love of this book our grade has shown has only appeared because of the exciting parts whether the dwarves are fighting the spiders or they are fighting dwarves the book has its moments that just appear often that keep the reader on the edge of its seat. OVerall i think this book has been an excellent choice to add to our 8th grade literature list and students who continue to come into our grade should be given the privilege to read the book The Hobbit.


    Aidan-C

    ReplyDelete
  7. The book The Hobbit is a decent book. One thing that I don’t like about the book is that there are so many significant events that happen it’s hard to keep track of the order in which they are happening. Another thing I do not like about the book is that it is really predicable, because you know when something big is going to happen. Something I like about this book is that it is on the easier side of reading, because it is meant to be more of a child’s book. Lastly, this book is decent because I like how each character has their own personality and own ideas. For example Bilbo is learning stuff about himself throughout the journey which brings out the real adventurous Bilbo, while the dwarves just want the treasure. Overall this is not one of my favorite books.

    Charlotte Huger- G

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have not enjoyed The Hobbit by J.R.R Tolkien so far. The book is really boring, and I cannot really get into it. So far, the chapters are really long, and along with underlining, it takes about an hour to read a single chapter with about 30 pages. Also, I did not like the alternate title There and Back Again. One of my favorite parts of a book is after reading a long, hard book is getting the rewarding experience of learning the ending of the book in one of the last chapters. By giving away the ending which is that Bilbo makes it back from his adventure without even reading the first page, is really a bummer. Although, we don’t know the specifics of what happened during Bilbo’s adventure, it takes away from the fun of seeing about all of the cool adventures that Bilbo has. The readers know that no matter what, Bilbo will survive his adventures. The Hobbit has been a major disappointment.
    David-E

    ReplyDelete
  9. So far, I can honestly say that I have not enjoyed “The Hobbit” at all. Although the author spends much time attempting to put interesting details, and round characters throughout the entire story, I am still just not intrigued by the book. I find the plot to be tedious and boring. Fantasy books are supposed to be exciting and make the reader want to continue through the story, but page after page, I feel like getting up and doing something more entertaining, such as other homework, or dancing to music. I think the main reason I do not enjoy this book is the fact that the plot keeps going and going through the ‘adventure’, and in the end, I still know that Bilbo and company will make it there and back again. Even though they keep encountering these amazing creatures, it’s still the same blasé writing style and events, just written in a slightly different manner every single chapter.

    - Jamie Hawkins (E-Block)

    ReplyDelete
  10. The Hobbit is not a very interesting book. It is filled with adventure, but there is almost too much. There is just about no break. Personally, I don’t enjoy fantasy books and this book is completely unrealistic; however, there are parts in this book that do engage me. Some of the adventure is really interesting. An example of this is when they meet the dragon and will begin to fight. On the other hand, dragons do not exist so once I remember, I start to think that the book doesn’t make sense. Overall, I do not enjoy this book and I don’t think it is good.
    Katherine-E

    ReplyDelete
  11. For the Hobbit, I would have to say I really like it. I think it has a very good plot to it and I can't wait to see what happens at the end. I think the author, J.R.R. Tolkien, came up with many interesting ideas and found ways to get them into the story. So I really like the hobbit, and can't wait to see how they trick Smaug or if they kill him, since they know his weak spot in his armor by his chest.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think of The Hobbit as not a good book. I like fantasy books but this book just isn't my type. It has quite a bit of things that i didn't like. One thing that I didn't like about it was how the book has basically the same type of creatures that are in all types of stories which make the book kind of boring. I also didn't like how the book has characters that are fat and hairy and never go on quests and adventures but one decides to go on an adventure for no apparent reason. Overall I just don't like the book.

    Kazy-W

    ReplyDelete
  13. I thought that the Hobbit was one of my favorite books. I liked how the characters were described and how imaginative they were. I also liked the plot. I liked how it is leading up to the Lord of the Rings series. I liked most of the book but I didn't like how the plot was kind of spoiled before reading it. The title was, The Hobbit, or There and Back Again. So you would know that they get back safely. I would rate this book a 7/10.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The Hobbit is a good book. It pulls you into it. It is very suspenseful but every so often the author pulls you out. It has everything a good story needs such. Bilbo’s growth as a character shows that he is not round. I have enjoyed reading The Hobbit.
    Ben-D

    ReplyDelete
  15. So far I don’t really care for the “Hobbit” by J. R. R. Tolkien. I personally do not like this type of book, so it is hard for me to like. But besides that I like the book. The plot is good, but some of the words make it hard to understand the books at some points. I like how they go on all those adventures, but I do not like how they always get saved by Bilbo our Gandalf at the right time, or they find a way to escape at the right time. I also like how the Bilbo remembers about the key with the last day of autumn with barley any sun left. That is what I like and don’t like about the “Hobbit” so far.
    Wyatt – E

    ReplyDelete
  16. The Hobbit book is not bad but it’s not my favorite. I like how every chapter there is a new problem and adventure so it is not the same. I would enjoy the book more if I did not have to think about underling or having to underline something. I don’t like how Gandalf always leaves and then comes back to save them. I do like how overtime Bilbo becomes more important mainly because he has the ring. The ring has helped with the problems that appear like the spiders they could not find him. It is kind of predictable because when Beorn tells them not to go off the trails of course they are going to. Overall, the book is okay but I would not read it on my own.

    Brittany- E

    ReplyDelete
  17. The Hobbit is about a hobbit, who is a small creature with a round stomach and hairy feet. He goes on an adventure with dwarves and a wizard named Gandalf. They go on this adventure because a long time ago a dragon named Smaug stole gold from one of the dwarves and he wants to get it back. On there adventuer they run into giant spiders, goblins, and wolves. We have just finished chapter twelve and so far The Hobbit was good. Most of chapters had lots of action and adventures and it also kept my interest. A few chapters were boring though. The narrator has to explain about many of the creatures in Middle Earth and it can sometimes be boring. But overall, The Hobbit has been very interesting.
    Cora-D

    ReplyDelete
  18. In my opinion, the Hobbit is a really good book. I enjoy reading it for many reasons. First, it is a very exciting book. There is an adventure in almost every chapter. Next, I like the way J.R.R Tolkien writes. He makes it feel like someone is sitting there telling you a story, and not you just reading a book. Lastly, I like the way the author explains the scenery and feelings of the characters. Although I like the book, there is one thing I don't like about the Hobbit. This aspect of the book is that the book slows down sometimes. By this I mean that there are many parts in which the characters are just wondering around looking for something. This part of the book though is not enough for me to dislike the story. Overall, I really enjoy reading the hobbit.

    Twomey-G block

    ReplyDelete
  19. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  20. There were many strengths and weaknesses of The Hobbit so far. I think that the plot of The Hobbit is overall very strong. The maps and pictures throughout the book help give a visual aid of the scenery and the storyline. I also like how a new character is introduced in almost every chapter. Because the book was written in the 1930’s, many of the words were unfamiliar and confusing. I also noticed that some parts of the chapters got very slow and uninteresting to read. Overall, I enjoyed reading the Hobbit despite the confusing vocabulary and boring parts of some chapters.

    Sarauniya-C

    ReplyDelete
  21. Personally, I find the Hobbit well written and very descriptive. I think it isn’t very interesting. I am not usually interested in these types of stories when mythical creatures are the main characters. I definitely like to be able to relate the main characters to a visualization of a real person and it is harder for me to do that when the main characters are made-up. Also, when we have to actively read, it is harder for me to get into the book. I feel like I cannot focus on what the book is saying because I have to focus on highlighting specific things. Overall, I have been surprised at how much I enjoyed this book considering I thought I would hate it. It isn’t that boring and I enjoy the parts about Smaug the dragon. This book should definitely be a required book for eighth grade English next year.
    Sincerely Gabrielle-C

    ReplyDelete
  22. The Hobbit turned out to be a little better then I’d thought it would be. I expected it to be boring and hard to read but it actually keeps your attention because something important and critical happens in every chapter. The bad part about it being busy is that it’s hard to remember the story in the right order. Other reasons why I like the Hobbit is because of the way the characters are portrayed in the book. You get to know every side of all of the characters like Bilbo’s adventurous (Tookish) side and his true Hobbit side. I like how you get to see a change and growth in the characters as well, like when Bilbo starts to change into a hero following his own ‘hero’s journey’. It is also very interesting how cultures and social rules are formed and found in this magical world. I could compare their world with our world like with the different types of governments and behaviors found. Other examples of social rules are when different species living in the book liked or disliked other creatures. The physical rules in the book are so different from our world like the magic, dragons and wizards, that it lets the reader get more into the story. Overall, this book holds my attention and I think is worth reading.
    Caroline - C

    ReplyDelete
  23. I actually enjoy The Hobbit. I like how there is always something unexpected in each chapter that delays the hobbit and the dwarves from their adventure. The thing I don’t really like about The Hobbit is the chapter sizes; most of them are really long. Another thing that I don’t like which kind of has to do with The Hobbit is the fact that we have to mark stuff in the book. It takes me five times longer to read the book, because I am always on the lookout for things I have to mark. Other than that the book is quite entertaining.

    Alexa-C

    ReplyDelete
  24. I think the Hobbit is a pretty good book. The plot, for one thing, is very creative. For someone to make basically a second world has to be quite the thinker. Another thing would be the characters are fun to follow and you are always wondering what is going to happen next. The bad things however is that the book is very long and sometimes can get extremely boring, as if you are begging for the chapter to end, which are on average, about 20 pages. Even with all of this, the book balances out and is not to bad as I expected it to be.
    Abbas-C

    ReplyDelete
  25. In general the book isn’t as bad as I had expected. The plot is somewhat interesting. However, I do not like how in every chapter, there is some sort of catastrophe. In the other hand, I do like how Bilbo has become the leader of the group, it is much more exciting than having Gandalf rescue them all the time. I don’t like the way the author addresses you, as if you are part of the story, it seems weird. Although the plot is intriguing, I do not thing that all the magic stuff is necessary; it makes the story less realistic. Though I disagree with some parts of the way it was written, I for the most part enjoy this book.
    William Uhalt-C

    ReplyDelete
  26. Overall, I did not enjoy reading the Hobbit. I did not like the overall plot of the book. One thing I did like about this book was the details given about the setting. It brought you into a magical world with dragons, dwarves, elves, and hobbits. Another thing I liked about this book was that Bilbo was a round character. Therefore, you never knew what he was going to do next.
    Blakely Rippner - C

    ReplyDelete
  27. I think the book The Hobbit is a creative and memorable book. One of the things I liked in the book is the fact that it feel like we just dropped into a magical world and are observing what it’s like there. Another thing I like about the book is that the character Bilbo is a round character so you never know what to expect. This makes me want to keep reading to see what he will do next. One of the things I don’t like about the book is that the title gives away the ending of the book. As a result of this the entire time I was reading this I kept remembering that whatever challenge they face they are going to overcome it. Another thing I don’t like is that we have to write in the book as we read. I don’t like this because whenever I have to write something down I get dethatched from this book and that makes it less interesting.

    Haley-C

    ReplyDelete
  28. I think that The Hobbit, by J.R.R. Tolkien, is a rather confusing book because of the majestically features in it. It is hard to understand some of the concepts due to all the fictional things in this book. I do however like the plot because it is action-packed. All the action adds excitement to the book and makes you want to read more. To improve The Hobbit, the author should have simplified this book and added more action.

    ReplyDelete
  29. So far, I'm enjoying the Hobbit. It's a good book. There is a lot of action in every chapter. There is an adventure in every chapter. As we discussed in class it is very episodic. It can be confusing at points but overall very interesting. I am looking forward to finishing the book.

    ReplyDelete
  30. For 8th grade our class is reading The Hobbit. I am really enjoying the book so far. At the beginning of the book it started off a little dull, but towards the end it really started to heat up. I really like the author’s word descriptions and word choice. It really makes me feel as though I am in an alternate world full of magical creatures and suspense. The only problems I am having with the book are like I said it started off dull, and there are a few too many characters to remember. For instance, I am often getting characters confused or even forgetting about them. Other than that I am very glad that The Hobbit is in the 8th grade curriculum
    Julian -D

    ReplyDelete
  31. The Hobbit is an interesting book overall. It has an interesting story set in a strange different world. This helps the book be more interesting. Despite this, the book relates to me because of my recent experience at Kanuga. There are many cons about the book as well. Many of the boring parts drag on. This makes a large portion of the book difficult to read for a long time at once. In addition, the book seems unrealistic because Bilbo gets so lucky whenever it matters most. This makes the book less immersive. The Hobbit is an interesting book, but is elaborates in the wrong parts.

    Ali Rahman - D

    ReplyDelete
  32. I have mixed feelings about The Hobbit. I think that J.R.R Tolken was very creative while writing this book and came up with very strong ideas. Although J.R.R. was extremely creative and came up with interesting characters, the book was very boring and the chapters were very long and took a while to read. If I had a choice, I would rather read a better, more interesting book.

    Ido
    English-G

    ReplyDelete
  33. The Hobbit so far is boring, not interesting, and pointless. In other words the book lacks drive. Throughout the book I have been waiting for the point in the book to take off and turn into a page turner. This point has not come yet and I am two thirds of the way into the book. Also the characters are not developed well enough therefore the book is boring. For example there are no feelings developed towards the characters. Although this book is dreadful there is one quality that I do like. I do like the amount of details about the characters. As a result of the details I am able to make a vivid picture in my mind of the characters. In conclusion this book is really terrible and I am dreading reading it.
    Ashton Politz - D

    ReplyDelete
  34. The Hobbit is a painful book to read. The extreme intense detail makes me lose interest in the plot. The plot can be exciting at times, however knowing that it is all fiction takes away from it. This book may be interesting to others, but for me it’s just endless amount of made up things and adjectives. I extremely dislike this book and I recommend you do not force the next group of 8th graders to read this book. Although I do not know other students perspectives this is an awful book for me to read. However, I am hoping for an exciting ending!-Kyla-D

    ReplyDelete
  35. I do not like the Hobbit very much. I find that it is boring, and even the action parts aren’t that exciting. The Hobbit was written long ago, which makes it hard to understand. The writing not what I like being that it is not as straight forward as many other books. Also, I do not like to read action books. I mostly like non-fiction books about people and the Hobbit is the opposite of that. Overall, the Hobbit is not my favorite kind of book to read, so I would recommend not having them read it next year.

    ReplyDelete
  36. In the Hobbit so far, I think the book is alright. At times it is confusing, as i get characters mixed up because there are way to many. I enjoy the plot though, as it is very interesting. It is also at times predictable but for the most part is not. In my opinion, the best part about the Hobbit is how the plot keeps me guessing. Hopefully the great plot continues until th end of the book.

    Paul-D

    ReplyDelete
  37. I think that the Hobbit is a very interesting book. The plot is complex yet easy to follow. I think that the book has not developed any characters other than Bilbo making it somewhat boring to read. Many of the characters are flat, unlike Bilbo, and are uninteresting to read about. I also think that the fact that all of the wird animals can talk allows the reader to feel that Bilbo is some sort of character that he really sin't. Overall I think that the Hobbit has a good plot, but is boring.

    Jack - D

    ReplyDelete
  38. This year, the eighth graders are reading The Hobbit by J.R Tolkien. It is a fiction book written in the 1930’s. I do not like anything about this book. It is not interesting and is not realistic at all. Also the plot is not straightforward, there are many twists. There is also very little detail, which makes it hard to picture in my head. The Hobbit is not a good choice for students because they will get very bored while reading it.
    Hannah- E

    ReplyDelete
  39. The hobbit in my opinion was slow and a little boring. There was only one somewhat exciting thing per chapter. Also it is very similar to the lord of the rings series. However I do find it interesting because it does take unexpected turns. The main character Bilbo grows more and more throughout the story. I think the hobbit was a good book but it is a little slow. Ronnie--E block

    ReplyDelete
  40. I have nothing against The Hobbit. In all honesty, the eloquency and intelligence of Tolkien's work is that which few others have ever, or perhaps even could ever, achieve. However, the plot is not something I'm interested in reading. The characters are forgettable, at best, and utterly mind-numbing, at worst. The Hero's Journey is blatantly obvious in its appearances and stages. I do not enjoy reading it, nor do I think it to be worth reading. Tolkien is, rather undeniably, a brilliant writer. But he is one whose talent and skill were, in my opinion, wasted on the books he wrote.

    ReplyDelete
  41. The Hobbit by J.R.R Tolkien is a fiction book about a Hobbit that goes on a life changing adventure. I felt that the book was a straight forward, feel good story about someone who experiences something new. What was good about this book was that it was a nice story and had an interesting plot. What I did not enjoy about this book was that it explained what happens in the book before reading it. For example we knew that the Bilbo was going to go on an adventure and kill a dragon just by looking at the cover and reading the first page. Overall the Hobbit was an easy read but wasn’t very entertaining.
    James - D

    ReplyDelete
  42. I strongly dislike the hobbit. I think the book is very boring and hard to pay attention to. When I read the book it usually bores me to tears and makes me fall asleep. The hobbit is hard to understand by the confusing language. Something that I liked about the hobbit is the way that the author thoroughly described all of the characters in the book. For example, the author told the reader about how much hobbits like food. Therefore, I would only recommend this book to insomniacs, because this book puts you to sleep.
    Kennedi Walker - E

    ReplyDelete
  43. The Hobbit by JRR Tolkien is a pretty good book so far. I am not a fan of fantasy books, but this one is better because of the connection it has to World War I which makes it more interesting. In the chapters we have read and discussed there has not been much action, which makes it somewhat boring. In the final chapters I suspect it to become more action packed and fun to read. Although this is not the type of book that would normally interest me this book is better than I expected. It is well written but it can get complicated. Also, the quizzes are very hard.

    Walt-E

    ReplyDelete
  44. I like the plot of "The Hobbit" but I find that the author does not go to his full extent. Meaning that I believe that the author could give the book a twist or make it a little more exciting. Almost ever chapter they seem to be walking along and then they find themselves in a mess that some hero gets them out of. Making every chapter more predictable. I find this rather boring. Also many of the characters are flat also making it very uneventful in terms of the characters stories. Overall I find that the book had potential but the author failed to do anything with it.

    Will Milvid-G

    ReplyDelete
  45. In my opinion, I think that The Hobbit is a very well-written book. It is very interesting and hard to stop reading. Some of the concepts and details are hard to understand though. For instance, I have trouble understanding some of the long conversions and dialogue sections. However, the parts of the book where there is action and when they meet new people, then it gets very exciting. Some of the topics and obstacles are very well thought out, for example the invisible ring and the dragon stealing gold. I also like how the author put a variety of different enemies in the book like trolls, goblins, elves, spiders, etc. One of the best things about The Hobbit was how the book fit together. The chain of events that happens are fit together very well and are in the order that they should be in. For example, the events are not scattered around everywhere in the book, they fit together to help explain the book better. I think that some parts of The Hobbit are very interesting and exciting, and the book is very well written, however some of it is boring.

    Zack Backstrom - D

    ReplyDelete
  46. Even though we have not finished The Hobbit yet, there are many things I already like and dislike in the book. For one, I like that the book uses vocabulary that is manageable and easy to understand for kids our age and I also like that the story is very interesting and easy to read and comprehend. I dislike that the full title of the book, The Hobbit or There and Back Again, gives away the whole journey and the suspense it should hold behind it, but doesn’t because the title says that they all make the trip back safely. I, personally, do not enjoy this book because it is hard to imagine all these events happening and so I’m not as interested in knowing what happens next. So far, the downsides of this book outweigh the upsides of them, so I do not really enjoy The Hobbit.

    Julia-G

    ReplyDelete
  47. I thought that the Hobbit was an overall average book. It was very creative and had interesting details, but lacked a very interesting plot. The book had some good parts in the plot, but others were just boring. Since a second name for the book is "There and Back Again" it was pretty predictable what was going to happen. The story got really sidetracked, and it started to get annoying. However, towards the end the book got a lot better and interesting. I can see why this book is considered a classic, and is beloved by so many people, but it just wasn't really my kind of read.

    ReplyDelete
  48. I really like the hobbit. The characters are extremely intrigueing. I really like how the writer makes the characters so deep and everchanging. The plot is really deep and a real page turner. I would recommend anyone to read this book. I have already read the entire book it was so good. There are so many characters and they are all so involving. Every chapter has a new adventure and the ending is amazing. I cannot wait for my classmates to find out what happens. Because of how much I liked the book, I am going to read the Lord of the Rings.

    Michael McAlpine - G

    ReplyDelete
  49. The Hobbit is one of those books that weren’t interesting to me. I liked how the story gets off and on interesting and that the story has a descent plot. The Hobbit also has many points in the story that makes you want to read till the story ends. Many of these reasons could make the books, in some case interesting, yet the book also has its bad parts. The story isn’t as interesting as it could be because of the narrator interactions and sometimes contain too much detail which makes it confusing. Also, what is confusing is the arranging of the events in the story because of how confusing it is. I honestly kind of sort of like this book , but it is in a way boring.
    Kendall - G

    ReplyDelete
  50. Many people in the eighth did not like The Hobbit, and while it was not my favorite book, I do not believe it was as bad as everyone else thinks. One thing that I do not like about the book was how the narration made one feel as though it was more like someone telling a story than the reader actually being involved in the story with all of the characters. Because the narrator constantly said things unrelated to the story such as how something would happen in the next chapter, it pushed the reader out of the story, and I prefer to be more involved in the story. One thing that I did like about the book was how it was very informative and gave the reader a good idea of what was happening throughout the book. However, I did believe that there was some excess information and detail that could have been omitted. Overall, The Hobbit was a mediocre book and should not be used again for the eighth grade reading course.

    Nathaniel- G

    ReplyDelete
  51. From the time that we started reading the hobbit I was not particularly interested in the book. A long time ago I had already read the beginning of the book I was then partially thrown off the cook by others that had made a larger impression on me in my opinion. The book was not boring but it was just easy to be turned off in my opinion by some of the situations in the beginning. I have to say that I didn’t think that I would like some of the book even after this time but now the book is readable even though some of the parts are somewhat uninteresting. I think that compared to what I previously thought the book is well thought out and what I think was weak was the background info we gain on the characters in the book other than Bilbo. The book is in my opinion a piece of work that I hope in the next book enough to get me interested but the plot has some holes that can turn away the reader that is just splurging into the genre.

    ReplyDelete
  52. So far I have enjoyed reading The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkein. The book has a very interesting plot, and I can easily relate it to the Hero’s Journey. The book is very fun to read with all the twists and turns however it makes the book a lot slower to read and harder when you have to write comments in the margin. Another bad part of the book is having to read the songs that groups of characters sing at certain points. I don’t enjoy reading those. Overall, I truly enjoyed the plot of the hobbit, but did not like adding in some of the required things and reading all of the rhymes.
    David Terral - G

    ReplyDelete
  53. The Hobbit had its good and bad sides to it. The good sides were the plot and characters. The plot was interesting and overall a good story. It is fascinating how the title of the story, There and Back Again, can give away what is going to happen in the story and what is in the story is still interesting. I can see why it is such a famous book. Also, the characters are great and are used very well in the story and have good personalities that fit their roles in the book. The down sides were that there were so many details and that I hate writing comments. Writing comments ruin the book for me because it makes me read so slowly and I cannot get into the story which makes it less enjoyable. However, although I do not like this book very much, I like it more than most other students in the grade.

    Cole-G

    ReplyDelete
  54. The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien in my opinion was a good book. The Hobbit has a lot of boring parts that make the book less interesting but the book makes up for it with good story and characters. Each chapter is like a new story of Bilbo's travels which is very interesting. After each chapter the characters, especially Bilbo, seem to experience a personal development that effects them and others around them. This is a good book nonetheless of it's uninteresting moments.
    Garner-G

    ReplyDelete
  55. The Hobbit is an interesting book to read. It tells a string of adventures that are all part of one large adventure very nicely. I enjoy the intriguing cast of different characters that must work together in order to come out victorious in their adventure. One of my favorite parts so far is when Bilbo gets lost in the goblin tunnels and meets up with Gollum. The riddles that they threw out at each other were very tricky and smart. While the book tells a great story, it lacks the ability to keep the reader drawn in at all times. Where most books book transitioning phrases at the end and beginning of chapters, the Hobbit tends to separate each individual chapter into its own episode, so to speak. Most chapters end with a phrase similar to "... will find out in the following chapters." Excerpts such as these make the reader realize that he or she is in fact reading a book, which may take away from the reality of the tale. In the end, I have thoroughly enjoyed the Hobbit and am excited to find out what happens to Bilbo and his companions.

    ReplyDelete
  56. The Hobbit is an interesting book that I enjoy reading. Although I enjoy the story of the Hobbit, the story is boring and over – detailed. I would much rather reading the book on my own time instead of at school and in English class.
    Matthew - D

    ReplyDelete
  57. The Hobbit was not good. I do not like fairytale, fantasy stories such as this one. I do not get the plot of the story, or why Bilbo even had to go on the journey. This story is like any other heroes journey story. I did not understand the book that well. The only thing I liked about the book is that it is creative, and it has many exciting parts to it.

    ReplyDelete
  58. I like the hobbit so far. It has some good parts, but also has some poorly written parts. I do not like how Bilbo is always getting away with things like not being captured by the goblins. Also some of the scenes are very descriptive which can get irritating to read. I like how it is written to make me care about the characters and really feel something when one of them gets hurt. Overall I would say that the hobbit has been good so far.

    ReplyDelete
  59. The Hobbit is an interesting book with an interesting plot. I like the way that the characters are developed, and the way that they interact with each other. The characters play well off of each other, and progress thoroughly throughout the book. I especially like Bilbo's progression in the way that he changes from being a boring, timid, hobbit, to a heroic and clever hero. Overall, I think the hobbit is a good book, because of the great characters
    Slade- C

    ReplyDelete
  60. The hobbit is a book that I would only read if I needed to. Its a good book, but its just to predictable. I do like the personalities that Tolkein gives to his characters however. He gives them each their own little section. So far I'd give it a 7.5-10

    ReplyDelete