Friday, October 15, 2010

Kanuga: How was it?

Now that you're back from Kanuga, fill me in on the details! In your one-paragraph blog post, tell me what you liked best, what you liked least, and any other thoughts you have about your experience. I look forward to reading about your Kanuga adventures! (And don't give Dr. Leland a hard time!) Post by 3:15 pm on Monday, October 25. Don't forget to proofread and sign your name and block number.

63 comments:

  1. My overall rating of Kanuga was a 5.5/10. I had fun at the camp when we did activities such as the Ropes Course, Cooperative Games, and Free Time. The food was decent, the cabins were nice, and I think we all had fun at the camp. I did not like the hiking trip we went on, though. It was long and tiring. We had to carry 15 lb. backpacks with very short breaks over a total of 12 miles. It was cold sometimes and warm the other. The only fun part in my view was the solo hike on the last day, where we hiked by ourselves for a mile. Also, I did not like the rafting trip. We only went over about two rapids and they were very boring. Our guide was cursing at my group to make it worse. But I did like spending time with my friends on the trip and having fun sometimes.
    James Gibert- E Block

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking back on my experience at Kanuga, I really enjoyed it. There were many things that I liked about the trip. First, I loved the in-camp activities, especially the high ropes course, rock climbing, and free time. I also had a great time on the hike. Just hanging around at the campsite was a lot of fun. Although there were a lot of things that I enjoyed about the trip, there were a few things that I disliked. First, I did not like orienteering. It was very boring and, in my opinion, a waste of time because of modern day technology like the GPS. The other thing that I did not like was sleeping on the hike. It was very cold and most of the time you found yourself sleeping on roots. Despite these two factors of the trip, I had a really good time on the trip to Kanuga.

    Twomey-G Block

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kanuga was not as bad as I expected it to be. At camp, we actually had a good time and it was kind of fun. The ropes course and rock climbing wall were fun, but scary. The hike was really hard and I felt like I was going to die. The backpack weighed me down so much, that I didn’t think I was going to make it. My shoulders hurt really badly. The teachers were nice, and I liked one of my Kanuga instructors, but one of the instructors was kind of weird. I was glad I went on the hike, though, because it is a real accomplishment to hike that many miles. The best part of the trip was the ropes course, while the worst part was orienteering and mountaineering class. The ropes course was really cool, but creepy, while orienteering and mountaineering class was extremely boring. Kanuga was better than I expected.
    David Gertler-E

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoyed Kanuga and I felt like I bonded with my classmates a lot. I thought almost everything was a blast but, my favorite activity was probably cooperative games. My favorite cooperative game was the spider web and my least favorite was the hole in the tarp game. My least favorite thing was probably the white water rafting trip. This is because I thought it was not intense enough. Overall, I just really thought Kanuga was worth my time and that I would definitely do it again.
    Sasha-G

    ReplyDelete
  5. On Friday, October 9th, the Newman eighth graders set out on an adventure to Kanuga in Henderson, North Carolina. My personal favorite part of the trip was white water rafting. It was a new experience for me and I really had fun doing it and enjoyed being with my friends on the raft. My least favorite part of the trip was when it rained during the hike because it was really cold and made hiking harder. Also, sleeping outside in the rain was not fun. Despite this, Kanuga was still a great experience. Kanuga was a fantastic experience in which I tried many new things that I wouldn’t have a chance to experience if I did not go to Kanuga.
    Hannah - E

    ReplyDelete
  6. There were certain parts of Kanuga that I disliked, and certain parts that I liked. For example, I really, strongly hated the hike and thought I was going to go crazy on it. The hike was very long and strenuous, and I did not feel that the views we saw were worth the torture of the hike. My knees still hurt very much from the many uphills and downhills of the trail. But, on the other hand, the time we spent at the camp was very fun and enjoyable. The most fun at camp though, was probably the cooperative games. The spider web game and the blindfolded noodle fight were probably the most fun. Those activities showed how teamwork can be fun, and how everyone needs to do their part in order for the team to succeed. Overall, I thought think that Kanuga was a good class trip, and that we all learned something from it.
    Slade- C

    ReplyDelete
  7. Subsequent to our class trip to Kanuga I really had time to look back and think about the activities and how much I honestly enjoyed the trip. When we first arrived I was tired and had negative feelings about the trip lowering my experience, but once we settled in I decided to give it a chance. After leaving for the hike our group spent three tough days hiking. The advanced terrain and high altitudes made it even more challenging. I thought I wouldn’t make it and those days ending up being the worst days of the trip. After hiking I realized that I really enjoyed spending time at rest stops and making new friends. After returning our next activity was white water rafting. Although the water was cold, the shaking and splashing and rapids were quite exciting, making it one of my favorite activities. One thing I really liked about it was my awesome guide Chuck Wagon. Chuck played call of duty told funny jokes and got us in the best rapids. After white water rafting the next day we rock climbed and did high ropes. After arriving at rock climbing and climbing the walls in the first 30 minutes I got board and just sat down and talked to my group. High ropes were much more exciting. The adrenaline rush of jumping the leap of faith, and being high off the ground insane. It allowed me to accomplish my fear of heights. The following activities were less exciting, orienteering was boring and hurt. I hated hiking around the woods learning to use a compos and constantly I cut my ankles on thorns or sticks. After orienteering, we had cooperative games which were relaxing but very boring and forced me to leave Kanuga on a slow boring note. Overall I would give the trip a seven out of ten because it had its good moments and bad.


    Aidan-C

    ReplyDelete
  8. In my opinion, Kanuga was a lot of fun! There were many different activities that I enjoyed. Such as, the night time camp fire, sleeping in the woods, and rock climbing. Though most people did not enjoy sleeping in the woods, I thought it was a nice experience. Also, my group took a wrong turn and got lost and we had to climb up a rock holding on to a rope, but it was a lot of fun. Although most of the activities were fun, there were a few that I did not like, such as orienteering. I thought orienteering was a waste of time. Not that often do my friends and I wander off in the woods alone with just a compass. I also enjoyed spending time with my friends outside of school. Overall, I had a great time at Kanuga!
    Blakely Rippner - C

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really enjoyed Kanuga and I thought that everything that we did was a great way to spend the week. My favorite part overall was the hike. White-water rafting, the ropes course, and the rock wall were amazing as well. My least favorite part about the entire trip was the cabins. Overall the cabins were nice but the bathrooms were bad. That didn't stop me from believing that Kanuga was a great trip. I would love to go again. I even tried to convince Mr. Summerour to let me go hiking again, lets just say it didn't work out.
    Sarah - E Block

    ReplyDelete
  10. Overall, I would have to admit that I greatly enjoyed Kanuga. I loved the section of the trip where we weren’t hiking because all of the activities reminded me of my away camp. I also enjoyed the hiking trip because it was something that I would have never have chosen to do on my own time. I was definitely surprised at how much fun it was to be with my group hiking in the wild and encountering different and interesting adventures. Although I had a fun time with most of the trip, there were a few parts that I found boring, such as the orienteering and outdoor living skills class. Part of the reason I was bored in these classes was because I didn’t have a good Kanuga teacher. In Addition, I don’t find learning about compasses fun. Furthermore, I found the uphill hiking quite challenging but fulfilling at the same time. Last but not least, I definitely enjoyed the trip more than I disliked it and I am glad that I went.
    Sincerely, Gabrielle Stone- C

    ReplyDelete
  11. Our class trip to Kanuga was a great and exciting experience. In my opinion, the trip was more fun than I had expected. The hiking part was enjoyable for the most part, but tiring. One of the best parts of Kanuga was when our hiking group made it to the top of the mountain and saw the view that made all the strenuous hiking worthwhile. Also, the weather we had in Kanuga was amazing and perfect for all of our activities. On another note, waking up early and “hopping” was not favorable and neither was sleeping on the hard ground while camping. But the good parts over powered the bad and our entire grade had a great bonding experience.
    Caroline - C

    ReplyDelete
  12. During Kanuga I learned a lot over the trip like teamwork, unselfishness, and my ability to be a great friend. Even though my group got rained on and i was wet, cold, and miserable I had a pretty good time. The food on the hike was much better in the cafeteria and gorp is one of my new favorite snacks. I thought that the hiking was going to be much worse but it was fun because when you arrive to your destination you feel like you accomplished something really great. The only part of the trip that I really disliked was when i was wet and cold while hiking. Kanuga was a fun experience and i am excited to go to Washington with my class mates next year.
    Kevin Steiner - E

    ReplyDelete
  13. Being back from Kanuga, I realize now that my overall experience wasn’t so bad. My group went hiking first, so luckily we didn’t get rained on. However the nights and mornings were unbearably cold. My favorite part of the hiking portion was definitely towards the end when we make it to John’s Rock. Back at Kanuga, we had to hop in the morning the first day back. I didn’t know what that was and I was just mad they woke me up so early. I think my favorite part of the trip was free time, although I wish people from the other groups were with us. And my least favorite part of the trip was the night hike. Our guide kept telling us that our night vision would kick in, mine never did. Generally, Kanuga was a lot more fun than I had expected.
    William Uhalt- C

    ReplyDelete
  14. Kanuga was a great trip. My favorite part of the trip was when we went white water rafting. unforgettable experience. It was an Another favorite part of the trip, was when we had our solo hike on the last day in the woods. My least favorite part of the trip was our first two days of hiking , because it rained on us. Even though it rained, we still were able to have a good time. Overall, we went on this trip to cooperate with one another and to learn how to survive in a different environment. I will never forget this experience.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I thought the Kanuga trip was really fun. Before leaving I was really nervous, and was not positive about the whole trip. However, when I got there I had a blast. The hike was fun because even though we had to walk a lot, I bonded a lot with my classmates. Also, during it I was having so much fun talking and playing games that I barely focused on the pain it was causing me. In addition, it did not rain and it was not cold when I was hiking which made the experience a whole lot better. I also liked the high ropes course and the rock climbing wall. Hanging around camp during free time was also an enjoyable experience. The cooperation games were fun as well, but the spider was really frustrating. The only activity that I did not enjoy was orienteering because it was really boring. I also liked white water rafting, but wish we would have gotten their earlier so we could have jumped off the rock. The night hike was really cool too especially when we got to chew up our mint and see it glow. In my opinion the worst, most boring part of the whole trip was the bus ride. Kanuga, looking back on it was a really fun and positive experience that I will certainly never forget.

    Jenna - E

    ReplyDelete
  16. Kanuga was a fun experience with many pros and cons. My group went hiking for the first three days, which was a fun experience but a very tiring experience. I did enjoy being with my friends on the trail but I did not like the amount of hiking we did. Another thing i liked about Kanuga was the amount of free time we had. During free time I bonded with many friends that I do not hang out with as much in New Orleans. Free time was also very fun because I really enjoyed playing a lot of basketball and four square. Although I enjoyed the hike and free time, I did not enjoy orienteering or hopping. I found that orienteering was a waste of time and that hopping was to early in the morning. Despite some things that I did not enjoy, Kanuga was an exciting experience.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I really had an awesome time at Kanuga. My favorite part was our guide, Carl. He was hilarious and made the hiking experience much more entertaining. Our group was like a little family. We played a lot of games together at night, and we often had sing-a-longs. One part of our trip that was quite extreme was when we got lost on the trail. We ended up scaling the face of a mountain with a rope that our second guide, Hunter courageously set up for us. As it turned out, there was no more trail. It felt very much like a segment from that T.V. show, “I Shouldn’t Be Alive”. In the end, we turned around and went back on our original trail and somehow survived. Another great part was the spectacular views that we had at the top of the mountains. They made for breathtaking photos. Another part of the trip that I really enjoyed was white water rafting. Even though I unfortunately fell out of the raft, and the water was freezing, It was a blast riding the rapids, not to mention, our group did an excellent job splashing the teachers’ raft. My least favorite part of the trip was rock climbing because they gave us three hours just to rock climb, and that was way too long for only a few people. Also, my arms got very tired. Luckily, our belayer Zachary! kept us entertained by telling (mostly) good jokes. I think overall, Kanuga really let us bond with classmates that we don’t normally spend a lot of time with. The weather was perfect, and the trip was enjoyable. We’ve heard so much about the trip from the upperclassmen, and to finally get to experience it ourselves was great. I think most of us had a bad impression of Kanuga before we went for ourselves, including me, but now that I’ve been, I think that the 8th graders to come are very lucky and should look forward to the trip.

    - Jamie Hawkins (E-Block)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Our class trip to Kanuga was a great experience. My favorite part was staying at camp. Although I enjoyed the hike, I liked staying at camp better. I liked most of the activities that we did at camp like the ropes course, cooperative games, night hike, camp fire, and the climbing wall. My least favorite part was learning how to use a compass and all the knots for setting up the tarp. Even though that was necessary to learn, they could have figured out a way to make it more fun. Although it rained while our group was on the trail, it was still more enjoyable than I expected and if I heard we had to go to Kanuga again, I wouldn’t mind going. Overall I really liked the trip.
    Charlotte Huger- G

    ReplyDelete
  19. Kanuga was so much fun. I loved it. My favorite part was definitely the feeling of accomplishment after almost every activity, especially hiking up the mountains. It gave me quite a feeling of empowerment. My least favorite part was probably the lack of sleep that I was able to get. The beds at the camp weren’t very conferrable, and sleeping outside, especially during the rain, on the hike was not the best experience that I’ve ever had. Overall, though, I high enjoyed Kanuga. I wish I could go back! I had so much fun.
    Katherine-E

    ReplyDelete
  20. Out of ten I would give Kanuga a six. At camp it was really fun. I loved doing the high ropes course, the climbing wall, and the white water rafting. I did not like orienteering because my group kept getting lost, but cooperative games was better than I thought it would be. The food at Kanuga was pretty good too. I did not like the hike very much. I got sick on the trail and we took a three hour detour and climbed up part of a mountain using a rope, then later when we found out we went the wrong way had to go back down the mountain. Despite that it was pretty fun. The food on the hike was much better than I thought it would be and we were lucky because it never rained when I was hiking. Overall, Kanuga was a good experience.
    Cora-D

    ReplyDelete
  21. Kanuga was an okay experience. The hike was terrible and made me want to kill myself. The at camp activities were more fun, though. We had orienteering and group exercises and stuff like that. The food was sub-par, but edible. They were really big on plate-waste and recycling and saving trees. The bus ride there was horrible and 13 hours of hell. I lost half my clothes and my sleeping bag, ugh. Overall the trip was good, although at times I would rather be on fire. I would not do it again, though.

    Michael McAlpine - G

    ReplyDelete
  22. I really enjoyed our class trip to Kanuga. My favorite part of the trip was rock climbing and the ropes course. I also liked the food that we had at camp and during the hiking trip. But I didn't like orienteering because it was really hard to see the signs that we were supposed to find. The hike was a different and challenging three day activity, but it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I also liked our cabins because it had a lot of space and I didn't expect to see a living room there. Overall, Kanuga was a different, but really fun experience.

    Sarauniya-C

    ReplyDelete
  23. Kanuga was so much fun! My favorite part was white water rafting. It was my favorite part because I loved getting wet and almost falling out. I also enjoyed rock climbing because when I got to the top and rang the bell I felt accomplished. One last thing I like when I was not hiking was corporative games. I like it because we had to use strategy to figure out hard games. My least favorite part would be hiking. I did not like hiking because my back started hurting. Also I did not like hiking because the inclines after a while started to make my legs ache and started to get harder. Although hiking was not a lot of fun I did enjoy g.u.a.r.p. In conclusion even though the hiking had it flaws, Kanuga created memories that I will never forget.
    Ashton - D

    ReplyDelete
  24. If I had to rate Konuga I would give it a 9 out of 10. Our guide got us loss but besides that it was fun. The best part was the high ropes course. White water rafting was really short so that was not as good as I thought it what be. Overall it was a good trip
    Ben-D

    ReplyDelete
  25. Overall, I enjoyed going to Kanuga. When we were at camp it was fun for the most part. I really liked white water rafting because it was something else to do instead of the classes and hanging out at camp. I really liked high ropes and climbing classes. The cooperation class was okay but the orienteering class was horrible. The orienteering class helped when we were hiking though. The camp fire was fun and the night hike was really cool. I liked how we had free time at camp because we could play sports and hangout with other kids from other groups. I was kind of scared for the hiking part in the beginning but in the end it was a great experience. When we started hiking it didn’t seem like it would be fun but when we got to the camp I changed my mind. The next day when we got to the top of Pilot the view was really pretty. Our group had bonded during the trip and got closer. Although it rained for us it was still a really good trip.

    Brittany- E

    ReplyDelete
  26. Looking back at the experience I had at Kanuga, I really enjoyed it. The hiking portion of the trip was my favorite. I loved being with my friends while cooking and sleeping outside. I also enjoyed the high ropes, rock climbing, and spending free time with my friends around the camp. While I thoroughly enjoyed many things about the trip, there were a few things that I disliked. One of the things was orienteering. This was because I felt like it useless because our group had already hiked and we did need to know the ways of orienteering while on our hike. Another thing that I dislike about the trip was the rafting. I really enjoy rafting but I thought that the course we went on was a bit too amateur. Despite the things I disliked, I thought the trip to Kanuga was a lot of fun.
    Riley-E

    ReplyDelete
  27. I expected that the trip to Kanuga was going to be worse than it actually was. The time while we were at camp was very fun. The high ropes course and rock climbing wall were challenging, yet entertaining and rewarding. The hike was pretty fun two. Both the first and third days of hiking were very easy physically and the second day wasn't extremely difficult despite a three hour detour. This detour involved climbing two very steep inclines, one of which involved having to use a rope to scale a rock face. The only downside of the hike was the terrible food, the worst of which was an awful batch of couscous and an inedible cheesecake. If this was not part of the hike then it would have been a near perfect experience. Overall Kanuga was a worthwhile and great experience.

    Jack -D

    ReplyDelete
  28. My overall experience at Kanuga was very much enjoyed. There were only a few things I did not like. Some of those things were the night activities, because they were not fun and we could have had free time. I also didn’t like the night hike because it was very had to see and they did not let us bring our flashlights. I really disliked the activity when the guide made us get lost in the woods because I didn’t get anything out of it, and we weren’t really lost. We could have easily walked back the way we came. But I did enjoy a lot of things at Kanuga like the solo hike because I got to experience the outdoors and I had never done anything like that before. Free time was fun because I enjoyed four square. We would have intense four square competitions and see who would be ace the longest. Overall Kanuga was a great experience in my life and that I enjoyed. Ronnie Lamarque--E

    ReplyDelete
  29. Kanuga overwhelmed my miniscule expectations. From the ropes course to the rock climbing I had a great time. I also enjoyed spending some quality time with my fellow classmates. I did have some bad experiences, like the uncomfortable sleeping predicament under the tarp during our hike. My favorite part of the whole trip was the rock climbing because it is a great test of your physical and mental toughness. Overall the trip, in my opinion, was a great success for my classmates and me. I am sure that I am closer to my classmates after this awesome experience.
    George Casey-D

    ReplyDelete
  30. My experience at Kanuga was fun and educational but at times it was challenging. One of the biggest challenges my group overcame was when it rained our first night camping. Although the rain was cold, it brought our group closer together. Another challenge my group faced was sleeping at night because of the coyotes and the rain. I enjoyed hanging out around camp but the hiking and camping was not my forte. My favorite part of the whole trip was the rock climbing walls and ropes courses. Although there where many challenge that I had to overcome, I had a fun time at Kanuga and would do it again for the experience.

    ReplyDelete
  31. My overall experience at Kanuga was very good. During the hike I thought it was miserable, except the last day, but looking back, I really enjoyed it. I particularly enjoyed the solo hike, though I cant explain why. Back at camp, of all of our activities, I enjoyed the ropes course the most. White water rafting was fun too. it would have been better if we continued on further down stream, because the rapids would be more intense. The one thing that was not fun was orienteering. it seemed kind of pointless to me. Other than that I had a great time at kanuga

    ReplyDelete
  32. My overall experience at Kanuga was very good. During the hike I thought it was miserable, except the last day, but looking back, I really enjoyed it. I particularly enjoyed the solo hike, but I cant explain why. Back at camp, of all of our activities, I enjoyed the ropes course the most. The white water rafting was fun too. It would have been better if we continued on further downstream, because the rapids would be more intense. The one bad thing was orienteering. It seemed pointless to me. Other than that, I had a great time at Kanuga.
    Ali Rahman-D

    ReplyDelete
  33. Kanuga was much more fun than it was expected to be. There were many things I enjoyed about the trip. First, the ropes course and the rock wall were terrifying but looking back on my experiences with the two, I really enjoyed both of them. I also really enjoyed the GOURP and it is depressing to know that I do not have access to it anymore. Although for the most part I enjoyed the trip, it did have its downsides. Such as the food at camp, some of the days I wouldn’t enjoy the food and they didn’t have many other food choices. Another downside was the rain on the hike, it generally wasn’t as bad as it could be but it caused cold wet campers and my hands got so pruned that they are still peeling. Overall, it was an enjoyable experience that I would most definitely do again.
    Kyla-D

    ReplyDelete
  34. Before Kanuga, I will admit that I was not too psyched about it. The first thing I did was go rafting the next day, and I thought that was so much fun. Not only was the weather perfect, but the views were absolutely amazing, plus I found it extremely relaxing as well; it was an awesome way to spend my first day in Kanuga, and given the choice, I would have been happy to go back again the next day. I also enjoyed the climbing wall and the ropes course quite a bit. As for the hike, the food was not exceptional, but as I was hungry from hiking all day, that hardly mattered. Sure I was a little bit tired at the end of the day, but I also felt super proud of myself. Overall, the trip made me feel as though I can accomplish things that at first glance I would tell myself I could not, and I am truly thankful for that.

    Nathaniel- G

    ReplyDelete
  35. The eighth grade trip to Kanuga was an exciting and worthwhile experience. It was great to be able to interact with classmates in a nonacademic environment. My favorite part of the trip was definitely the backpacking trip through the woods. This was a brand new experience for me, and I enjoyed it greatly. While the physical hiking was quite strenuous, especially with the heavy packs, it was very accomplishing to reach the top of a mountain and know that you had climbed to the top. Although the hike was very enjoyable, there were some frustrating parts, such as the long and exhausting detour into a dead end that cost us precious hours that were needed to get to our destination. Back at camp, we participated in numerous activities that were designed to build up the bond between us as well as to teach us some somewhat useful skills. My least favorite of these activities was orienteering. Even though I learned how to use a compass, it was very boring to walk through the woods looking for various signs posted on trees that, when read all together, spelled out a message. In the end, Kanuga had its ups and downs, but ended up being a very good trip.

    Drew - D

    ReplyDelete
  36. Kanuga was a fun, exciting experience, and I became closer to many more people in my grade. Before the trip I was a little worried that it wasn’t going to be fun but almost the whole thing was a blast. My favorite parts were hanging out at the campsites, the meals, and free time. At the campsites, once everything was set up you could just relax and take it easy, and the meals were great, some better than the Newman cafeteria. During free time I mostly played soccer four square, but there were plenty more fun things to do. The few things I didn’t like about the trip were the orienteering class, and some of the cooperative games. The orienteering class was very long, and there wasn’t much to do that was entertaining. Also, a few of the cooperative games like the ball and tarp game, and the walking across planks blindfolded game were long and got boring really quickly. Overall, the trip to Kanuga was very fun and something next year’s 8th grade should look forward to.
    David Terral - G

    ReplyDelete
  37. Kanuga was a lot better than I expected. On the bus ride there I was looking forward to crummy food, lots of rain, and an overall terrible trip. It actually turned out to be a pretty good trip. The cabins were, nice the food was better than Newman's, and it didn't rain that much. My favorite part of the trip was the ropes course and rock climbing wall. My least favorite part was sleeping under a tarp. Although the idea was cool,trying to sleep was pretty difficult. Overall I had a good time at Kanuga.

    Julian-D

    ReplyDelete
  38. Looking back at the trip, I really enjoyed Kanuga and thought it was a lot of fun. Before the trip, I did not expect it to be that fun. It was a great time to bond with our classmates while doing activities that most of us have not done much before. The hike and the climbing wall were my favorite parts of the trip. Even though the hike was long and tiring, it was a blast. The guides were entertaining and it was a good time to spend time with different classmates that you have not talked to that much. Also the food was good on the hike. The climbing wall was a great challenge and it was a lot of fun. The cooperative games were also fun and so was free time. They had good activities to do such as basketball and volleyball. My least favorite parts of the trip were the bus ride and waking up early to hop. Overall, Kanuga was a very enjoyable trip that I will never forget.

    Cole-G

    ReplyDelete
  39. I found Kanuga to be a great experience. I found that enjoyed most of the activities that we did. I particularly enjoyed rafting, rock climbing, high ropes, and the hike. I enjoyed these activities because they were fun experiences that I had never gotten the chance to enjoy. Although it rained on the hike I enjoyed spending time with my friends and I enjoyed being at a campsite and playing ninja. Also while at Kanuga i enjoyed playing four scare during free time. Overall Kanuga was an awesome experience and I wish I could repeat 8th grade just for Kanuga.

    Will Milvid-G

    ReplyDelete
  40. Kanuga was moderately fun. I enjoyed being with all of my friends, but compared to summer camp, it was terrible. I disliked the hike, but when i was at the camp i had fun. On the hike, my group got lost, that was the worst part. The part I enjoyed most was free time. Being with all of my classmates outside of school was fun but the activities were not. I would give Kanuga a 6 out of 10.

    Paul-D

    ReplyDelete
  41. My Kanuga experience was amazing. I loved basically everything about the trip. I liked hiking, white water rafting, and the activities we did. My favorite part about the trip was the hike. I liked the guides a lot because they were cool and hilarious. When we went on the hike, the second day on the hike we got lost and we sidetracked up a rock mountain with a rope and the 30 pound bags on our backs. It was an amazing experience.

    ReplyDelete
  42. Kanuga overall was a decent trip. My group went hiking first. It was in the top five worst experiences of my life. Our group had to hike the most difficult courses and our guide was jank. The entire time he would make cutting the cheese jokes that were not funny. I was overly excited when we arrived back at cabins. That part was pretty good especially the free time and the food. Although the food was not great it was much better than the food on the trail. The Mountain Trail Outdoor School part was not very fun. It was long and boring. We favorite part of the trip was the wrestling matches we had inside of our cabin the second night we were there. My least favorite part was getting the water the first day of the hike. After hiking 3/4 of mile to get some disgusting water Michael McAlpine and I were attack by bees and yellow jackets and stung everywhere.

    Walt-E

    ReplyDelete
  43. Kanuga was better than i expected. Hanging around the camp and basketball courts was fun, and so were the activities we did. We did a lot of teamwork activities. The hike was long. We hiked 5 miles, then 6 miles the next day, then the next day we hiked 5 more miles. The food was actually good, we had powdered milk with purified water. The only bad thing about the hike is that it started raining. That was miserable when i tried to sleep. Overall the trip was fun and i would definitely do it again.

    ReplyDelete
  44. Kanuga was a good experience for me and my class mates. I liked the Kanuga camp half of the trip more than the hiking half of the trip. Co operational games and the rock climbing wall were my favorite activities. My favorite overall part of the trip was in the cabins at night. I felt I got to know our teachers more, which is good. The part of the trip I liked the least was the camping. It wasn’t that bad, it just wasn’t as fun as the main camp. I don’t think we needed half the things we brought in our packs. They were too heavy. Also, I would have liked to have seen the second half of the trip more. We barely got to see them at all. Overall I liked Kanuga. I think it was a good bonding experience for me and my classmates.
    Charles - C Block

    ReplyDelete
  45. I thought Kanuga was very fun and it was an outstanding experience. We left Newman October 8, at about 7:00 AM. The bus ride getting to North Carolina was very fun but long. The bus stopped at Ryans to eat dinner and the food was not that good. For example, you could tell that the food was sitting out for a long time because the food was cold. After dinner, everyone got back on their bus and we continued our journey to North Carolina. After dinner we had about 3 hours to go until we reached our destination. Finally, when we arrived to NC, everyone put their bags in the cabins and headed to the big field to run around. After that, groups 1, 2, and 3 had to go report to their assigned spots and grab everything that they brought so on the trip so that the guides could tell them what things they were allowed to bring on the hiking trip. We also got to meet our guides. My group guides names were Emily and Rich, and our Newman teacher was Mr. Nelson. The Next day, was the hiking trip. When we first got to destination of where we were going to start hiking I knew that I was not going to like this because the backpacks were really heavy. The first day we hiked 3 miles, mostly all uphill. The first night was very hard because it was very cold, my feet were hearing and I hated peeing in the woods. I was just ready to move on the next day of hiking. Little did I know that the second day of hiking was going to be the hardest day of my life. When the second day got there, and we were told that we were going to hike 6 miles with some significant uphill climbs I was just lost for words because that’s a lot to do. The second night was ok but all I could think about then was that I could not wait for the next day because we get to go back to camp. The third day we hiked three miles with a significant uphill climb but I did not really care because I just could not wait until we got on the bus and headed back to camp. When we got back to camp I was as happy as ever to reunite with my friends and to take a shower. After the horrible hiking trip everything else was fine. We all had to take classes at camp though and go water rafting. The classes consist of orienteering and group games. My favorite was group games. When we left Kanuga I was very sad and wanted to stay longer. Over all Kanuga was a great trip and I would give it an 8 out of ten. Even though hiking was terrible the other things that Kanuga had to offer were outstanding.
    Kennedi Walker - E

    ReplyDelete
  46. Kanuga was so much fun! I enjoyed the activities we did at Kanuga best; white water rafting, rock climbing, and high ropes course. Although the white water rafting wasn’t as extreme as I thought it was it was still fun especially jumping off of the rock. Also, there were four rock climbing walls and I did two of them. In addition, the high ropes were fun and scary. I did all three of them. What I liked least about Kanuga was when it was raining during the hike. It wasn’t very fun hiking and sleeping in the rain. All in all, I really enjoyed Kanuga and would go back again.

    Alexa-C

    ReplyDelete
  47. Out of ten, Kanuga was a six and a half. The activities like high ropes and climbing wall were pretty fun. I also liked White Water Rafting because it was very exciting. The food was also a positive factor about Kanuga. The only thing I did not like so much about Kanuga was the hike because it was very exhausting. The hike was also very dreadful when it rained. Not only did it rain but it was also very cold. This was the only bad thing about Kanuga.

    ReplyDelete
  48. Kanuga was not as appalling I expected it to be. There were many enjoyable activities while at the camp. The high ropes course and climbing wall were very enjoyable and entertaining. The camp had a great setup for the free time which made it very exciting and fun. We could play basketball, football, four square, and many other fun games and sports. I thought that the camp did a great job of keeping us entertained for the whole day, whether it was free time or a cooperative group activity. I also enjoyed the hike. The best part was being with my friends. It would not have been nearly as fun without them there. Even though the overall trip was a success, there were a few things that I did not enjoy. First was orienteering. It was boring and useless because we barely used compasses on the hike. The other thing that I disliked was the rain. Even though the camp cannot do anything about it, it definitely made the hike a few steps harder and more miserable. Besides these few negative opinions, Kanuga was a great experience and an enjoyable trip.

    Zack Backstrom - D

    ReplyDelete
  49. Going into Kanuga I had a less than positive attitude, but to my surprise Kanuga was one of the best trips I've ever been on. The white water rafting was a great experience that I will remember for the rest of my life. While at camp, I throughly enjoyed the activities and free time. The food at Kanuga was better than most of the food at Newman. Also, I had a amazing time at the campfire. Counselors such as Thaddeus, and Karl were always positive and really made the experience better. The Hike was an wonderful experience for me. My group was full of positive people that were always "cracking" jokes even when it was raining. Thanks to Kanuga, I now know that I don't need technology to have a good time. Out of ten I'd give Kanuga a 10/10.
    David Kennair-Mapp-G

    ReplyDelete
  50. I really enjoyed our 8th grade class trip to Kanuga. My favorite parts were the rafting, ropes-course, and the rock-climbing. The rafting was really fun. Even though the water was cold, I think everyone enjoyed it. The ropes-course was really exciting, and I don’t think anyone in our grade had ever done one before. They were really cool, even though they were a bit scary. Lastly, I really enjoyed the rock-climbing we did at Kanuga. I had done some rock-climbing at camp before, so I was pretty good and it and really enjoyed it. Although the trip was really enjoyable, I would have to say the hike and the food were terrible. I found a huge piece of hair in my food and it just didn’t taste good. Even with the food and the hike, I thought our trip to Kanuga was a good trip.
    -John David English-D

    ReplyDelete
  51. Kanuga was a very fun time for me. Some good activities that we did were the hiking trip, ropes course, and the bonding with my classmates. The hiking was hard at times, but it was a once and a life time chance for me. The ropes course was challenging but I found that pushing yourself was really fun to do. I went on most the different stations and some were easier than others. This trip overall bonded our grade together. I became very close with my group and two others. Even though there were pros to this trip, there were also cons. The bad parts of the trip were not seeing half the grade and some of the Kanuga guides. Because we have such a big grade, three groups were always separated from the other three. This was not good because I only got close with half the grade. I also didn’t like some of the Kanuga guides because they were rude. They were very strict and got offended a little too easily. These bad things did not make my trip a bad experience because the good took over it. I would love to go back to Kanuga any time.
    Elena- D

    ReplyDelete
  52. I greatly enjoyed the experience that our group shared together. I also thought that the rafting and high ropes were really fun too. The Rock Wall was also very entertaining. I thought the sleeping during the hike was quite horrendous. Another bad part of the trip was the food on the hike. I really enjoyed just hanging out with my friends. The downsides of the trip were not substantial enough for me to be disappointed; in fact I loved the trip and would do it all over again.
    Matthew - D

    ReplyDelete
  53. Overall, Looking back on the Kanuga trip, I really enjoyed it. There were many things I liked about Kanuga that would make me want to return to the Mountain Trail Outdoor School. The hike was a great way to help me bond with fellow classmates. That experiences made me realize the great traits in people I hiked with. During the hike, there were many laughs and fun times shared. Following the return back to the MTOS, there were great activities and games that were fun and enjoyable. I enjoyed the rock climbing, cooperative games and high ropes course even though I was terrified of heights I also really enjoyed the food at camp. With that being said, there were also things I disliked. I really disliked orienteering because it wasn’t as interesting as the other activities. I also didn’t like having to hop in the cafeteria early in the mornings. Besides my dislikes, I really had a great time.

    Kendall-G

    ReplyDelete
  54. I had a fun time at Kanuga. Looking back at the Kanuga trip I liked the rock climbing, rafting, cooperative games, and free time. The rock climbing was fun because I was amazing at it. Rafting was so much fun. In my boat it was Kendall, Abbas, Ali, Thad, the two guides and myself Kendall and I were the pace setters. But the bad part of the rafting trip was when I fell out the boat. When I fell I was scared out of my mind. But after I got back in the boat after flowing down the stream for thirty yards, I was terrified for every rapid we went down. Cooperative games were fun also. Are group was very good at the games, we set a record at one of the games and dominated at all the others. Free time was the most fun. Mostly during free time I played basketball and volleyball. The trail, orienteering, and the ropes course were not as fun as I wanted them to be. The trail was not that fun because I did not really like my group that I had, and because we had the hardest trail. Orienteering was not fun because it was so very boring I wanted to quit five minutes into it. Finally I did not like ropes course because I do not like heights. But I liked my time at the mountain trail outdoor school.
    Wyatt -E

    ReplyDelete
  55. Kanuga was much better than I expected. The shear thoughts of hiking up a steep mountain, rafting in freezing waters, and doing activities that will expand my mind and bring me closer to people that I really didn’t care about just didn’t appeal to me. Once we got there, my attitude changed. I started to make light of the situation I tried my hardest to have a good time. Come to find out, I didn’t need to try at all. The activities such as ropes course, rock wall climbing, and co-op games were so different from any other activities I’ve experienced here at school, that they made themselves really enjoyable. Another component of the trip that made it fun were the guides. They were all pretty kind and cool, but Thad definitely stood out from any of the guides. He was so funny and had a keen sense of humor, that he just naturally appealed to me the most. His comebacks to our jokes and his jokes towards us helped ease the stress of not being at home in our comfortable and controlled environments. Overall the trip was much more amusing than expected. I would have never thought the trip would be so fun.

    Jay - G

    ReplyDelete
  56. Out of ten, I would rate Kanuga a 7. I believe since I did not necessarily expect anything out of it,that it was more fun than it truly was. It felt good to be away from school for a while, doing something that truly was not that bad. At camp, it was pretty fun. The food was better than anticipated, but at times was not particularly good. The free time was, in my opinion, the best part at camp. I think the ropes course and all the outdoor skills/activities were not that great, but at the same time not all that bad. While hearing bad things about the hike, I was not looking forward to it. While on it, I actually had a pretty good time, but once it was over, I was relieved. Also, the food on the hike was surprisingly good. What I did not like about Kanuga was the group activities, and the rafting, which mainly had to do with the instructors, but some parts were just not enjoyable. But other than that I'd say everything else about Kanuga went well.

    Peter D-E

    ReplyDelete
  57. The Kanuga trip was a good experience for me. It helped me get to know everyone better than I would in a classroom. We did co-op which were these challenges that were put upon our groups to complete. Thad, who was leading our group during co-op, who was one of the coolest counselors there, and he also plays CoD, said we completed the challenges faster than any group he has ever had. We had free-time most of the time after that. When the first three groups came back after hiking they said it was a terrible experience they ever had. When we went hiking it wasn't that bad especially since we got Gorp, which is the greatest snack ever, and Carl, who is also one of the coolest counselors there. During the night I woke up outside of my tent twice, somehow, and the next night there were coyotes howling all night. When we got back Carl gave us hot chocolate mix. After that we took showers, ate dinner, had free-time, and then we got packed to get ready to go back. We saw two movies: 21 and Ella Enchanted, which was really loud and prevented me from sleeping. Then we went home at 6 in the morning. It was a fun trip and I enjoyed it.
    Garner-G

    ReplyDelete
  58. I didn't expect to have fun at Kanuga. In fact, I expected it to be the worst week of my life. I tend to over dramatize, though. The only flaw with my expectations was that I actually enjoyed it. The white water rafting was amazing. The sights were beautiful, and we were even given the opportunity to jump from a twenty foot cliff into the water. I did, after much inner debate, and I would do it again in a heartbeat. I felt so proud of myself, especially considering my extreme fear of heights. The hike, though it was definitely the most dreaded part for me, ended up being the most enjoyable. Carl, our guide, was one of the best people I've ever met. He was hilarious and actually a decent singer. Early on, we called him "dad" and our other guide, Erica, "mom." I feel like we all bonded, and the memories we have from Kanuga are something I would like to always have. Everyone was very right in saying that I would have definitely regretted not going.

    Miranda-G

    ReplyDelete
  59. Overall I enjoyed Kanuga. It was a well rounded, fun experience. The best part was most likely the white water rafting even though half of my group fell in the water including me. The worst part was my activity group as they were constantly trying to make fun of me and to annoy me the entire hike and in general. Even though some parts were bad, the trip was very exciting and different experience and I would go again.
    Abbas-C

    ReplyDelete
  60. Kanuga was better than I thought it would be. I expected the food to be horrible and for it to be freezing cold and raining the entire time. Overall, it was not that bad, though I would rather be at home. My favorite part of the trip was the first night, and my least favorite part was the second day of the hiking trip.

    ReplyDelete
  61. During our 8th grade trip to Kanuga, I tried many new activities that I certainly wouldn’t have tried had I not gone on this trip. Some of these activities were hiking, white water rafting, and the high ropes course. Out of everything that we did at Kanuga, my favorite was probably the rock climbing or the free time. Free time really allowed everyone to bond and get to know each other better, which was really good. My least favorite part of the trip was probably sleeping under the tarp because it would get super cold at around 4 in the morning and also because it was a bit uncomfortable. Overall, Kanuga was a really enjoyable trip and I will always remember all the fun times I had there.

    Julia-G

    ReplyDelete
  62. Overall, I would give Kanuga 7 out of 10. What I liked about the trip was that we got to go somewhere outside of school with our classmates which was different than usual. But my dislikes about the trip were that, first, we had way to much free time. Also, during that free time all we could do was play basketball, volleyball, and foursquare. This was fun at first but when you have free time for 4 hours a day it gets boring. Also they did not consider the speed that some people would be going at. This made the hike not fun because there was constant arguing between going too fast or too slow which only made the trip worse than it was. If you take all of that out of consideration the trip was well planned and I think the next grade will enjoy it.
    James - D

    ReplyDelete
  63. I thought that kanuga was fun sometimes but then there were other things that I did not like. I really enjoyed the white water rafting. I not particularly enjoy the hiking though. While I did not think it was as awful as the other groups said it was, it was hard and not particularly entertaining. I did not like having to wake up early to go to breakfast and the beds were uncomfortable. The food was terrible except on the hiking trail so I did not eat particularly well. The only thing I had to look forward to the whole trip was free time and the bus which was very comfortable. The only thing I am taking from this trip is that it was true when everyone said it would better than Percy Quin.
    Ben-L

    ReplyDelete