Even though his path ended badly, many people strongly identify with the reasons behind Christopher McCandless's journey. Write a well-developed paragraph in which you address one of the following two questions:
1. Did Jon Krakauer identify with McCandless? If so, how? If not, why don't you think so? Be as specific as possible in your answer.
or
2. Obviously, you wouldn't want to end up like Christopher McCandless, but can you identify with anything about Chris and his journey? If so, how? If not, why not? Again, be as specific as possible.
Post by 3:15pm on 9/14. Don't forget: Your paragraph should have a balance of all necessary components. It must also be spellchecked and signed.
Chris McCandless obviously had an unsuccessful journey.It is also clear that he wanted to escape some of his emotions. In addition, He was a very closed person who didn't like to share his emotions. For example, Chris was probably depressed because he wasn't satisfied with is life and wanted to get away from it. He was also possibly confused with his future and may not have known who he was or wanted to be. Sometimes in cases like Chris's, when people are confused they try to escape from what they happen to be doing in thier life. Moreover, this is how I believe Chris McCandless may have been feeling at the time of his journey.
ReplyDeleteGabrielle-C
In Into the Wild Chris McCandless went on a journey to Alaska to live off the land for a while. Sadly, he died when he ate some moldy seeds. Nobody wants to end up the way Chris did, but I can understand how he feels. He wanted to leave all of the troubles in his life. For example, he and his father never got along very well. The only person that Chris could really relate to when he was upset was his sister. When he left he also wanted to leave all of his worries from past too. Overall, he was just a young man that wanted to leave his troubles and go out on a journey. This is how I can relate to Chris McCandless.
ReplyDeleteCora-D
Question 2
ReplyDeleteChristopher McCandless went on his western exhibition because he wanted to free himself form the flaws of society. McCandless was fed up with the modernized theme of humanity itself, his reaction was to live a life of his own, to live in the wild. I cannot identify with McCandless' decisions, for if I were convinced society was a wreck, as did McCandless, I would work towards rejuvenating it. Whereas Christopher McCandless ran from it. Also, being as McCandless was well educated, he may have been capable of making a strong influence on the nation if he had better coped with his beliefs. He may have been capable of voicing his opinion. McCandlessa may have been capable of altering humanity, maybe for the better. Therefore, I think that if he had not departed on his journey, McCandless would have prospered more than he himself considered he could. I do not identify with the actions of Christopher McCandless, because of the lack of responsibility he indicated along with his overall judgment of his journey.
In the book Into the Wild by Jon Krauker the main character Chris McCandless goes on an adventure into the Wild West and I can relate to him. He goes all through the west but eventually ends up in Alaska on the Stampede Trail where he dies. I can relate to Chris because, as the book tells, Chris licks to go on wild journeys and adventures through the United States west, and I like to go on wild journeys and adventures in the United States too. When my family went to Colorado over the summer, I was one of only two people in my family wanting to climb the mountain. If Chris was in the same situation was as me, then he would have done the same. I can definitely relate to Chris McCandless because he likes adventures in the United States, and I do too.
ReplyDeleteDavid Gertler-E
In the novel, Into the Wild, Jon Krakauer did identify with Chris McCandless. For about twenty pages of the book Jon Krakauer compared the two of them. It seemed like he was comparing his wanting to climb a big mountain by himself to Chris McCandless going into the Alaskan wilderness. In the book it states that Jon Krakauer and McCandless were both bright young men at one point. Kraukauer’s stance in the book is that McCandless was not an idiotic adolescent, like a group of readers thought, but instead that both of them shared a quality that they wanted to get away from society and complete a difficult task in the rigorous wilderness on their own. By him comparing these two things I think he was trying to say that McCandless and he both had a love of nature and the rugged outdoors. Many times throughout this book Jon Krauker compared his characteristics and decisions in his youth to Chris McCandless’ decision making, to justify that perhaps McCandless was a witty man who simply wanted to be one with nature, like he had once wanted to be.
ReplyDeleteSasha-G
No I can’t really identify with Chris. First of all I would not give away my money, my car, and other belongings to go and live in the wild. Second of all I would not want to live by myself in a bus in the middle of nowhere. Also I would like to see my family every so often unlike Chris where he didn’t see them for years. Chris was very smart, and he gave that up to give live in Alaska. I would never want to live in Alaska to start off with, but if I had a bright future like he did I would not throw it away. Furthermore, I would not really relate to Chris McCandless that much.
ReplyDeleteWyatt- E
I believe that Jon Krakauer did identify with Christopher McCandless. There are many examples to support this. First, Krakauer explained in the story how he had also been on adventures. This shows that he was a risk taker and an adrenaline junky. He climbed many challenging mountains and cliffs that tested all of his mental and physical abilities, including the infamous Mt. Everest. Next, the way he writes suggests that he disagrees with everyone that says that Chris was ignorant and had no business going on these far-fetched excursions. An example of this is when he is talking about Chris mistaking the animal he caught and later ate for a moose. In the language he uses it sounds as if he is siding with Chris and is telling everybody else that they are wrong. Although many people disagree with what Chris did, I believe that Jon Krakauer did identify with Christopher McCandless.
ReplyDeleteTwomey-G
Although I would not enjoy roughing it as much as McCandless did, I do enjoy hiking and going camping. I can identify with Chris in a few ways. I can understand that he would like to have been more unaided compared to family and friends controlling his life, as in saying what he should and should not do. I can also identify that Chris would want to do this to become more independent as well. Although bringing little supplies was mainly pointless, it was probably to become one with nature. For instance, Chris stayed about 100 days in the wild with very little food. He was surviving off of berries and wild potatoes. As many people can identify to, he would have to eat but to not bring supplies for hunting was also a unintelligent volition. All in all, I recognize that Chris McCandless would go into the wild to test his ability of survival.
ReplyDeleteI think that Jon Krakauer does not successfully indentify with the experiences with Christopher McCandless. While Krakauer words were saying that there was some of McCandless in a younger Krakauer and they had some similarities, overall they were strikingly different. Jon Krakauer had a strong passion for climbing mountains and other outdoor activities. While McCandless settled in Northern Alaska and lived off of the land, their reasons for spending time outdoors could not have been more different. Krakauer climbed mountains of his own volition and for recreation, while McCandless on the other hand was living in the wild for a much deeper purpose. He wanted something more out of life and felt that realizing his personal legend could be accomplished by travelling all across America and surviving only on the natural resources around him and his own personal instincts. While both Krakauer’s and McCandless’s journeys led them to spend countless hours outdoors, their purposes for being there were remarkably dissimilar.
ReplyDeleteNathaniel- G
I can’t identify with Chris McCandles and his choice to lead a life of dangerous adventure. He left a promising future to live a life he knew little about. Chris also left his family, which is extremely shocking to me because I find my family to be a very important part of my life. The fact that Chris did not respect nature’s power and did not have any idea of what he was trying to accomplish can only be described as reckless. Although he adapted well at the beginning of his adventure he was shown that one dire move would be fatal. Some may applaud Chris’ courage but I find him a lost soul and an arrogant person.
ReplyDeleteGeorge Casey-D
I can identify with Chris McCandless and his journey. All though many say that Chris was a stupid arrogant kid who just wandered off into the wild because he had lost his mind, I believe I can sort of understand Chris’s reasoning. He had a lot of anger built up inside of him from the mistakes his parents made and resulted with total loathing for any kind of authority. This is the reason why he ventured out into the wild, to get away from the rules and restrictions of life. I understand why he tried to take the least amount of possessions as possible because he wanted to be as free as possible. What I don’t understand is why he did not do a bit more studying on the topic of his expedition. I guess he wanted to ban against restriction so bad that he began to find food and knowledge as authority figures. Overall I understand where Chris was coming from he, just wanted to break away from the authorities in life.
ReplyDeleteJulian -D
I have to say that i could not in any way identify or relate to Chris McCandless. I would never in a million years leave my family, especially without notice. I would never give away my money or my car. I would never change my name. I would never want to live alone, much less alone in Alaska. And if a had a great education and came from a fortunate family, i would not take my life and belongings for granted and throw it all away leaving all friends and family members heartbroken. I could not relate or identify with Chris McCandless in any way shape or form.
ReplyDeletePauly-D
Chris McCandless did have an unsuccessful journey. The reason why Chris probably wanted to go on his journey was because he wasn’t happy with how his life was going. Going on this journey meant having a fresh start at life. He wanted to forget his past and start over. For example, some kids don’t like their school and don’t have any friends so they decide to go to another school and start over. Then they meet new friends and start fresh from there. I believe that this is what Chris McCandless was doing.
ReplyDeleteAlexa-C
Chris McCandless and Jon Krakauer can relate. Jon had made the comparison of them two very clear in the book. Both Chris and Jon like to climb mountains and be outdoors. For example, Jon liked to climb new routes like the one in Devils thumb. Jon had mentioned throughout the book his climb on Mount Everest which can compare to Chris living outdoors for months. Chris stayed in the wilderness for long periods of times just like Jon did. Also, when Jon had climbed and hiked he was young just like Chris. By doing all of their crazy outdoor adventures it proves that they are dare devils and are willing to risk their lives to climb.
ReplyDeleteBrittany- E
No, I cannot identify with Christopher McCandless. One reason is that I would not be able to survive as long as he did in the wild but also, I would have no desire to. Second, I would not be able to live alone in an abandoned bus for so long. Third, I would not burn my money, abandon my car, and all of my other belongings to live an adventure like this. Christopher McCandless was a very well educated young man who gave up his whole life to live a great adventure in Alaska. This is why I cannot identify with Christopher McCandless.
ReplyDeleteBlakely Rippner – C
Yes, I can identify with Chris and his adventure. Though it ended in death, Christopher McCandless’s journey is inspiring and heartfelt. I can identify with him because though, I have never gone hiking or left to go find myself, I think everybody does in some ways. As a teenager, you have to decide who are you and Chris McCandless’s journey was a statement of who he was to his family and the people he met during his great expedition. Also, he went on this journey because it made him happy. He did what he had always wanted to do, and he fulfilled his dreams. I can relate to this because though I have never gone this far, I make a lot of decisions based upon my happiness. These choices are as simple as picking out fashionable clothes in the morning, but all of the ones I make are supposed to make me happy. Overall, while Chris’s journey led to his death I can relate to him and his reasons why he went on that adventure in the first place.
ReplyDeleteJenna-E
I do think that Jon Krakauer and Chris McCandless related in their ways of life. I think this because both Chris and Jon spent some part of the life living of backpack and the land surrounding them. Chris and Jon both hiked to Alaska although they each had two different goals in their mind. Chris not knowing anything threw his life away and went straight for Alaska not knowing what to expect or what to try and accomplish. On the other hand Jon had knowledge of what he was doing as shown when he was in Alaska. Jon talked to people got to know them and to see if they had meet or heard of Chris McCandless and to get their opinion. In conclusion Jon and Chris both had related lives in that they both travelled in Alaska and showed their love for outdoors.
ReplyDeleteAshton - D
Jon Krakauer indeed identified with Chris McCandless. They both were always up for an adventure, and both loved nature and the great outdoors. They were equally curious people who took pleasure in any type of exploration. Jon Krakauer, an incredible mountaineer, had even climbed to the summit of Mt. Everest. They both shared a variety of qualities, a few being bravery and courageous valor. Furthermore, Jon, unlike many other people who had heard Chris's story, did not sense that Chris was foolish. Jon knew that Chris had excellent reasoning behind his entire plan, and he knew that Chris was intelligent young man. He somewhat admired Chris, and he found immense interest in his story. Chris Mccandless and Jon Krakauer were quite similar in limitless ways.
ReplyDelete- Jamie Hawkins (E Block)
Yes I do think that Jon Krakauer did identify Christopher McCandles. The way he talked about his travels and adventures. I think he also respected McCandles for the way he tried to do what nobody thought he could with his supplies and resources. I think he knew that McCandles was smart and just trying to get away from the stress at home between him and his father. The author also knew that he was just trying to do something difficult and then come back. He did not intend to die. The author respects him because he tried to do the same thing and succeeded. This does not make Chris dumb or ill witted. It just means he was not as skilled or as fortunate.
ReplyDeleteBen-D
In the book Into the Wild, the author Jon Krakauer identifies with Christopher McCandless. Jon Krakauer tries to explain what McCandless’s reasons were for leaving his family and wandering into the wild. Also, Jon Krakauer seems to appreciate Chris’s feelings towards humanity and seems to agree with Chris’s decision to become one with the earth and survive in the wild. As a result, in the book it shows that Krakauer likes Chris McCandless. In other words, Jon Krakauer’s feelings towards Christopher’s way of life show in the way Jon explains Christopher’s nomadic choices. In the book when Jon explains Chris’s rebellious life in a disapproving way, he explains it from other peoples negative perspectives, not his own. It was clear that Jon Krakauer didn’t believe that Christopher was idiotic or immature like some other commentators thought. Furthermore, Jon Krakauer relates to Chris because he himself once went on a treacherous adventure in the wild climbing mountains. I feel because Jon Krakauer respects, relates and notices Chris McCandless’s story he has nothing but good feelings towards Chris’s free will in the world.
ReplyDeleteCaroline- C
Chris McCandles obviously had an unsuccessful journey because he died from eating moldy seeds. Chris McCandles was a smart, straight A student, but then decided to go live in the Wild with no food or shelter other than the bus that he slept in after he burned his car. In addition, I could not identify myself with Christopher McCandles because I could not last in Alaska, In the Wild by myself with no food, money, or car. Furthermore, even though that was very stupid of Christopher to do, he lasted way longer than I would last any day. If I went Into the Wild without the bare necessities like Christopher did, then I would have died quicker than he would have. In my opinion, I think that Christopher wanted to go Into the Wild, because he to see how it would be to live by himself and no one helping him. Also, I think that Christopher basically committed suicide by going into Alaska without the basic necessities. Therefore, I could not identify myself with Christopher McCandles.
ReplyDeleteKennedi Walker - E
Yes, Jon did identify himself with Chris. Throughout the book Jon compared himself to Chris. He mentioned how they both were young intellectual men who loved adventures. They were both people who wanted to escape from society, and do something on their own. I think he was trying to explain how Chris was just a young man who wanted to be part of nature.
ReplyDeleteDavid Kennair-Mapp-G
Christopher McCandless has been through a difficult life after college and his journey was unsuccessful. McCandless could have had a good life with a career and his family and friends on his side, but he wanted to experience a different lifestyle that he had never lived before. In my opinion, he didn't know how his future was planned out for himself. His journey was to fulfill his inner self and wanted to be independent. He wanted to restart his life because he wanted to become a better man for himself.
ReplyDeleteAlisen- E
In the book Into the Wild I can identify Jon Krakuar’s character Chris McCandless. Although Chris dies after eating deadly seeds I can relate to his life style. I to have problems with my father with fighting and arguing and most of the time I can only trust my distressed brother. Chris also has the problems not liking his dad for causing Chris to be a bastard and only relianing on his miserable sister. Another thing I can identify is Chris wants to see the other perspective on life without the fame and modern technology, living in Alaska hunting and existing in the wilderness. While I have not lived in Alaska I have hiked, and camped and benefit from spending time in the outdoors and collecting my own food, and resources. Taken as a whole, Chris and I are both young outdoors men who like to get away from technology and live in the wilderness. This is how I can relate to Chris.
ReplyDeleteAidan-C
In the book Into the Wild I can identify Jon Krakaeur’s character Chris McCandless. Although Chris dies after eating deadly seeds I can relate to his life style. I to have problems with my father with fighting and arguing and most of the time I can only trust my distressed brother. Chris also has the problems not liking his dad for causing Chris to be a bastard and only relianing on his miserable sister. Another thing I can identify is Chris wants to see the other perspective on life without the fame and modern technology, living in Alaska hunting and existing in the wilderness. While I have not lived in Alaska I have hiked, and camped and benefit from spending time in the outdoors and collecting my own food, and resources. Taken as a whole, Chris and I are both young outdoors men who like to get away from technology and live in the wilderness. This is how I can relate to Chris.
ReplyDeleteAidan-C
Chris McCandless's journey ended sadly with a painful death but started with purpose and reason. Chris started his journey by leaving home and heading to Alsaka. I can relate to Chris's story because he got upset with his family, he felt the pressure and wanted to leave all of it behind. He felt like he made no decisions for himself and wanted to take charge of his own life. However, I cannot identify with Chris when he left every new person who came into his life. Chris escaped many close friendships that he made on his journey pursuing his dream. I would have loved to have close friends when I no longer had family. I could also identify with Chris when he left his belongings as he went on his journey. In the excitement of all of it, he was there for the adventure and went with the flow of nature. He left his car and his belongings when the mud slid down the mountains toward him. He didnt have a care for his belongings, only for the excursion. Overall, I identify with Chris McCandless on feeling overwhelmed, and getting caught up in the adventure, but cannot identify with him when he rejected loved ones.
ReplyDeleteI cannot identify with Christopher McCandless from the book Into the Wild by Jon Krakauer. McCandless was born into a wealthy family, and was therefore a privileged child. While most people would be grateful to have such luxuries, McCandless disregarded them completely. He did so by burying his belongings as well as donating all of his savings to a local charity. Although he felt that his actions were justified by his father’s troubled past, I believe that he handled the situation very poorly. I simply cannot relate to the fact that he put his family through such trauma. He did this by abandoning them, cutting off all contact between them, and ultimately dying alone in Alaska. By selfishly ignoring his blessings as well as hurting his family in such a strong way, I cannot identify myself with Chris McCandless’ actions.
ReplyDeleteDrew - D
Chris McCandless ended his journey with a painful death but started it with a dream to go to Alaska. I can identify with Chris McCandless when he left his family because he felt like he wasnt making any decisions for himself. He wanted to take charge of his own life. The pressure was building on Chris and he wanted to leave it all behind, to forget about it, thus, the Alaska dream was born. I can also identify with Chris when he left his car and all of his belongings when the mud was sliding down the mountain, threatening his life. Chris was thinking about his adventure and got caught up in the excitement, letting nature take its course. Overall, I can identify with Chris McCandless on feeling the pressure of family, and getting caught up in his exciting excursion.
ReplyDeleteRiley-E
Yes I do think that Jon Krakauer did identify Christopher McCandles. The way he talked about his travels and adventures. I think he also respected McCandles for the way he tried to do what nobody thought he could with his supplies and resources. I think he knew that McCandles was smart and just trying to get away from the stress at home between him and his father. The author also knew that he was just trying to do something difficult and then come back. He did not intend to die. The author respects him because he tried to do the same thing and succeeded. This does not make Chris dumb or ill witted. It just means he was not as skilled or as fortunate.
ReplyDeleteBen-D
Jon Krakauer identifies with the main character in the book Into the Wild, Christopher McCandless. Krakauer is very similar to McCandless that they both have that adventurous quality to them, but in slightly different ways. They both journeyed up to Alaska, but with different things in mind. Krakauer was more prepared for his adventure into the wild, and he cared if he came out alive or not. McCandless had no knowledge of his surroundings and not trying to accomplish anything. Although they had different perspectives of what they wanted out of life they still both loved the outdoors.
ReplyDeleteCharlotte Huger-G
I think that Jon Krakauer and Chris McCandless did relate well. I think this because they both lived hard life's. They both experienced how hard it is to live with the bare essential. Tho Chris was not expecting to die in Alaska. Jon retraced his footsteps, so we could know what happed. This is why i think they are in common. Ronnie-E
ReplyDeleteI can identify Chris McCandless. He went on a journey because in my opinion he was tired of a normal life. Although, he was not committing suicide he knew that there was a high chance of dying. I can not relate to that extreme of an experience, but I do understand taking not very smart chances. When I take a risk I do it for fun, and although this journey was probably to get out of society this encounter may have brought happiness to him. Although dying is not fun, this may have been what he wanted all along.
ReplyDeleteWalt- E
I can certainly identify myself to Chris. This is because like Chris, I enjoy hiking and nature. If I went on an journey like Chris’, I would modify my trip to ensure it did not end like Chris’. For example, I would not leave my family without notice, nor would I leave important tools for living in the wilderness. I can see why Chris would not be content about society and I believe that he wanted to provide evidence that it is possible to survive without what people believe what are necessary to life. If I had the volition to, I would willingly go on an adventure as Chris did.
ReplyDeleteHannah - E
I cannot identify with Chris McCandless for many reasons. Chris McCandless was a smart young man, and rather than doing something to help humanity, he made a rash decision and ran away. Furthermore, he burned his money, and lived off of other people. This was a selfish decision, because he took advantage of other people. If I could live dependently for myself or off of other people, I would live dependently. That is why I cannot identify with Chris McCandless.
ReplyDeleteAli Rahman - D
Question 2
ReplyDeleteChris McCandless was unhappy with his life from his parents to the community itself. So in order to get away with it all he went on journey into the wild which ended up leading to his sorrowful death. I think he did this because he felt that he had no one to ventilate and express his feelings. I can relate to Chris about him not liking the society, but I would have people to tell. John and Chris could not even compare besides the fact that they went to the same place. John went for pleasure, Chris felt he needed to go to get away from society and Krakuer intended to live, but Chris did not. OVerall, John can not come near to identify with McCandless
Abbas-C
Yes, I can identify with Christopher McCandless. Although I have never been put in a sitchuation to make this big of a decision, it makes sense to me. Unlike most of us, Christopher did not just want to grow old and become another causality of society, he did what he wanted to do, and I believe I would do the same. However, doing what he did may have not been the most logical thing, it was important to him. This young intelligent man did have much potential, but what is extremely important is happiness and fallowing your heart. Overall, I can mainly identify with him that way. I fallow my heart before my brain, as Christopher did.
ReplyDeleteKyla-D
I believe Jon Krakauer does identify with Chris McCandless because often in the book Krakauer describes his own love of nature and yearning to take journeys similar to that of Chris McCandless. Another book written by Krakauer, Into the Thin Air, is about his journey to ascend Mount Everest. In this way, I believe Krakauer identifies with Chris McCandless because both of them yearned for adventure outdoors and escape from society and the outside world.
ReplyDeleteWilliam-G
Even though his journey wasn’t successful, I can identify with Chris McCandless’ journey. Traveling to rural places was his way of both rebelling against his parents and experiencing a new way of life. At the time of this journey, McCandless seemed fed up with the average American lifestyle and wanted to see new things outside of his natural environment. He was also very smart; which helped him during his trip to a certain extent. It is arguable that Chris was being arrogant and naĂŻve when he refused to prepare properly to go to Alaska; that he was underestimating the hardships of the Alaskan wild. I believe that he wasn’t prepared because he wanted the full experience of going into the wild. Despite his lack of common sense, Chris McCandless had the courage to leave his old life behind and attempt to find himself in the wild.
ReplyDeleteSarauniya-C
In the book Into The Wild the main Character Chris McCandless loves to travel to distant places and explore the world. I can’t relate to Christopher McCandless journey because I have never felt the need to travel to a distant place. While Christopher McCandless traveled to Alaska to live in the wilderness while there were many people who loved him. I also can not relate to Chris McCandless because he enjoyed surviving and exploring in the wilderness without others while I would rather go to the beach and relax.
ReplyDeleteJames-D
In the book Into the Wild, by Jon Krakauer, Jon identified with Chris McCandless. They were once both young men looking to get away from the stress and troubles of their current lives, and start a new simpler one. They both had the minds to do it being intelligent young men with college educations. Chris McCandless started off his new life quicker and more drastically, but Jon still related to him through this reason. Chris wanted to live all over, and Jon wanted to climb a mountain. Jon Krakauer made many references in the book comparing himself and Chris McCandless furthermore proving that Jon Krakauer. Furthermore, I think Jon Krakauer took the opportunity to turn his article on this story into a novel, because of how much he indentified with Chris McCandless.
ReplyDeleteDavid Terral - G
Christopher McCandles wanted to escape. All of his life, everything had been decided for him. His parents decided what they wanted him to be. He wanted to start over. He was angry with his family and set out to create a new identity for himself. He gave away all his money to charity, changed his name and fled to Alaska. Although I can’t relate to Chris, I can understand why he wanted to leave. He felt trapped and unable to make his own decisions. It’s unfortunate that he passed away while still trying to find out who he was. I think he could have been a successful person if he had been given the chance.
ReplyDeleteHaley-C
I can definitely not identify with Chris and his adventures in the West. Chris's trip did not seem like a good one nor did it turn out to be a good one. I could never give away some of my best belongings such as my money or my car. Also, Chris came from a great family and had an excellent education. He gave all of that up so he could wander out west. Chris also lived all alone in an abandoned place. I am a type of person who likes to be around people and i do not like to be alone for too long, especially without my family. Although Chris demonstrated great efforts of adapting to the life he was living in Alaska, it was not as well towards the end before his death. That being said, I cannot relate to Chris in anyways and I think it was a wrong decision for Chris to go on his adventure and ruin the bright future he had ahead of himself.
ReplyDeleteIdo-G
Yes I do think that Jon Krakauer did identify Christopher McCandles. The way he talked about his travels and adventures. I think he also respected McCandles for the way he tried to do what nobody thought he could with his supplies and resources. I think he knew that McCandles was smart and just trying to get away from the stress at home between him and his father. The author also knew that he was just trying to do something difficult and then come back. He did not intend to die. The author respects him because he tried to do the same thing and succeeded. This does not make Chris dumb or ill witted. It just means he was not as skilled or as fortunate.
ReplyDeleteBen-D
Yes I do think that Jon Krakauer did identify Christopher McCandles. The way he talked about his travels and adventures. I think he also respected McCandles for the way he tried to do what nobody thought he could with his supplies and resources. I think he knew that McCandles was smart and just trying to get away from the stress at home between him and his father. The author also knew that he was just trying to do something difficult and then come back. He did not intend to die. The author respects him because he tried to do the same thing and succeeded. This does not make Chris dumb or ill witted. It just means he was not as skilled or as fortunate.
ReplyDeleteBen-D
ooioi
ReplyDeleteI think that Jon Krakauer identifies very well with Chris McCandless. Both men were outdoors men who enjoyed being in the presence of nature and being in solitude. They liked hiking and camping very much, and did it very often, so they understand the ploy and pull of nature. I also think that Krakauer relates to McCandless because he decided to write a book on him, which shows how fascinated he was with him, and that he felt that McCandless was worth writing a book about.
ReplyDeleteSlade- C
In the book, Into the Wild, Chris McCandless wanted to leave everything; his home, his job, and his family to go and live in the brutal wilderness by himself. I do not identify with him because I would never throw away everything to go away into awful weather and horrible food. I understand why Chris did this though. He was tired of life in the “real world” and wanted to escape everyone and everything that he had to deal with. I could never put my body through the things that he put it through, and make myself throw everything away just like that. Elena-D
ReplyDeleteChristopher McCandless had good reasons to go far away from civilization and to try and survive on his own. He enjoyed nature and loved to travel. I enjoy nature as well, which helps understand why he would make such a bold decision to be on his own. However, he should have been more prepared and brought more supplies with him to help survive. He wanted to get away from constantly being told what to do and who to be. I know that feeling, and at times, I’ve wanted to get away from everything as well.
ReplyDeleteKatherine-E
I cannot identify with Christopher McCandless, although i know where he is coming from. He did not like his sheltered life in the East and wanted something new. He went in search for adventure across the United States. He lived off the land, and would camp outside. He went hiking and rafting, and all the outdoor activities available. I would not be able to do that, i could not live without technology, and i could not live off the land like he did. Christopher never stayed one place too long, and did not get attached to anyone. Even though he ended up dieing in Alaska, he lasted much longer than a sheltered Southern boy from New Orleans who loves video games and CoD.
ReplyDeleteMichael McAlpine - G
In the book Into the Wild, Chris McCandless had many journeys into the wilderness, but on one of his trips, he did not go well equipped. As a result, his lack of preparation led him to starvation and death. In this book, I could not identify with anything about Chris and his journey. This is because it was obvious that he was going to die when the book said he was not prepared. Also, it seemed like Chris did not care that he was going into the wilderness unprepared which seemed it was an act of suicide. His carelessness was reflected throughout the whole book. Some examples of him acting like he didn’t care about life was when he burned his money, went into the wilderness unprepared, and when he didn’t value the things in life that you need. Throughout the book, it was hard to understand what Chris wanted in life for himself and others. In conclusion, I could not identify with Chris McCandless and his journey because of his decisions and values in life.
ReplyDeleteKevin - E
No I cannot identify with Chris McCandless. Chris gave up a very bright future to try and struggle to live off of the land of the United States. Chris was a very smart person and decided to not live the normal life of the average American. Chris gave away all of his money and belongings and wanted to start a fresh new life. I don’t think I would have even gotten close to making that decision. I also absolutely hate the outdoors. For me to have had made that decision, there would’ve been something that was really driving me away from my normal life. And Chris also chose to be away from his family and loved ones for years. My love for my family is way too strong for me to leave for years and not see them. Chris’ decision is just not one that would work for me.
ReplyDeleteI do believe that Jon Krakauer identified Chris McCandless, the main character in this book. This is so because Jon Krakauer explained how Chris went on adventurous journeys and climb difficult mountains. This made it easy to tell that Chris was a risk taker. The author showed the reader that Chris was an exciting person to be around and that he was not afraid to do the scary events. I believe that this identified Chris.
ReplyDeleteElliot-C
I cannot identify to McCandless' journey into the wild. He gave up a successful future and threw it all away. He was very smart and could have been very bright. He left all of his money, his car, and most of his belongings behind. Most of all I would not leave my family without telling them. I could not live without my family and live with the burden of leaving them with no notice. I would never go live in the wilderness of Alaska, especially not alone. Also after I started my journey I would not leave all of my friends and people I had met heartbroken after they all told me not to go. Last of all, I would not live in an abandon bus on the stampede trail. I do not at all identify to Chris.
ReplyDeleteCole-G
Chris McCandless obviously had an unsuccessful journey.No I can’t really identify with Chris.On the other hand Jon had knowledge of what he was doing as shown when he was in Alaska. I would not take my life and belongings for granted and throw it all away leaving all friends and family members heartbroken. It's just not smart to do what he did.
ReplyDeleteMarquez-W
Jon Krakauer indentified with Chris more than anyone, even Chris’s good friend Wayne did not completely understand him. Jon found about Chris’s journey, and for a long part of the book he compared himself to Chris. Jon compared that Chris was once a clever man but was transformed just as he was into confusion. He stated that they both had the urge to get away from society, get away from the cities and towns. In a way Jon envied Chris’ adventurous journey, his constant comparisons prove this.
ReplyDeleteMatthew - D
Chris McCandless had a dream of being a nonconformist and had ultimately gone on a journey alone where he ventured to areas such as Alaska, Colorado, and Mexico. Although I love traveling, that was not the purpose for his trip in the end, so I cannot identify myself with Christopher McCandless in any way. I could not identify with McCandless because I think I would have a hard time adapting to living on my own and fending for myself while McCandless for the most part was terrific at it. For example, McCandless survived on his own for months in Alaska. Also, it’s very hard to live a solitary life with no other people around to converse with so I feel as if I would have a hard time to stay sane. In the end, I cannot identify myself with Chris McCandless and his courageous journey.
ReplyDeleteJulia-G
I don’t get Christopher McCandless’ lifestyle at all. Sure it would be fun to live a life of adventure, but nearly risking your own life numerous times just for a bit of fun, is definitely not worth it. He paid the ultimate price with his own life trying to have a little fun. There are many ways to have fun that is not life-risking, but I don’t think Chris realized that. He also never really had anybody that he truly cared about or loved, but he people loved and cared about him. Since he didn’t really have anyone who cared about him he thought he didn’t anything to lose, but it turns out that when he died he lost a lot. The book said that he always talked about settling down, but he missed out on all of it. He really should have settled down, and personally I think his life would have been better.
ReplyDelete-John David - D
I cannot identify with Christopher McCandless. I don’t understand why someone would want to take a “journey” like this. I don’t understand why someone would burn their money and abandon his car. Chris also could have gone on to med-school or law-school but he chose to go on a personal journey that didn’t better him in the slightest and eventually killed him when he stupidly ate moldy seeds. To prove that he is even more stupid, he could have walked 10 miles up the stream that he couldn’t cross and crossed it and gotten back to civilization. To make a long story short, in no way could I ever identify with McCandless or understand why he went on his socalled journey.
ReplyDeleteThere were some aspects where I cannot identify with Chris McCandless, but overall I can identify with him. I cannot relate to him by him leaving everything he loved, and everyone that loved him, behind. I cannot relate to that because I cannot imagine me leaving my family behind, even if I did not get along with them. On the other hand, I can relate to him because the reason he embarked on his journey was 1. To pursue his dream and 2. get away from the world, and to come of age. I understand the desire to pursue your dreams – even at great cost. For example, I think if humans do not fulfill their dreams, for a period of time, their thoughts will be just filled with regret.
ReplyDeletePeter D-E
I believe that Jon Krakauer identified with Chris McCandless in what they both went through in their lives. Both people enjoyed being outdoors. They also both have been on similar adventures, Jon with his Everest expedition and Chris with his Trip to Alaska. This shows that both have had to face similar hardships. Both of them also were ignorant and naive about how difficult their adventures would be. This helped them relate because they both had difficulties due to this. Overall, both of these people could relate because they both had to go through the same hardships.
ReplyDeleteJack - d
I do think that Jon Krakauer can definitely identify to Chris McCandless. First off, both Jon and Chris had a great love for adventure and the outdoors. Also, their favorite setting in the outdoors is the bitter cold of Alaska. This also makes Jack London one of their favorite authors. Their love for the outdoors made each of them go on a daring adventure. Chris went into the wild part of Alaska by himself with nothing but some rice and a gun. Jon went on a gutsy adventure to the peek of Mt. Everest. Both of these journeys ended up being fatal to either the main character or companions of the main character. Overall, Jon Krakauer identifies very well toward Chris McCandless.
ReplyDeleteI Agree with Chris McCandless, because he did what made him happy. He realized he cannot live life going through the motions. He wanted to do something with his life, such as take an adventure to Alaska. This is similar to what Jon Krakauer did, he made a journey Alaska but only Jon was more familiar with the land. I cannot relate to what McCandless did because i was never in such a situation as he was. I conclude that Jon did identify Chris McCandless.
ReplyDeleteJon Krakauer did relate to Chris McCandless in many ways. The first way that Krakauer related to McCandless was because Chris inspired him to go on his own journeys. For example, while writing the Into the Wild, Jon Krakauer retraced Chris's steps numerous times. Essentially, Krakauer did this because he realized that he needed to come closer to Chris and identify with many of the events Chris went though to be able to write the book. Another way that Krakauer related to Chris was because, like Will said, "They both had great love for adventure and the outdoors." Before, during, and after writing this book, Jon had experienced many outdoor adventures including climbing mountains like the Devil's Thumb. As interpreted in the book, Chris also had a passion for the outdoors and going on journeys like the long road trips that he took on his own. Just like Krakauer, Chris would go on these trips to explore the country and the beautiful nature all around it. Jon Krakauer would not have been able to write this book if he was unable to identify with Chris McCandless in many ways.
ReplyDeleteIf I was being identified with Chris, then you wouldn't get much similarities. Chris is a daring adventurer who travels across North America which is something I would never do. He is outgoing and ambitious with dreams of going to Alaska and living life without any help. I'm sometimes outgoing and ambitious and I rarely need help to do things. I'm somewhat a half of Chris as in I'm like him in some of his attributes.
ReplyDeleteI do think that I can identify with Chris. Although I would not go as far as Chris, I do feel that if someone is doing something that makes them happy they should continue doing it. Also, I sometimes feel like I would want a fresh start and i believe that Chris was starting fresh. Even though I do not completely agree and identify with Chris and his journey, I do believe that his journey had a purposeful meaning that I can identify with.
ReplyDeletePeter G. - E
In Into the wild, Jon Krakauer identifies Chris McCandless as a straight forward kid who wanted to attempt to survive in the wild. Jon also tells stories of himself and the adventurous things he also did to make Chris not look like an ignorant kid who had nothing better to do , but rather someone who loved the outdoors and feeling of adventure. For most of the beginning of the book , Jon compared Chris and himself by describing his love of natures with Chris’. By comparing the two , Jon makes Chris seems a lot like he was, which was a man who loved the outdoors. Jon Krakauer made Chris decision to go into the wild seem like a smart one.
ReplyDeleteKendall - G
I absolutely adore Alex. (I will call him the name he chose for himself out of respect.) He is exactly the kind of person I would like to be. You know, without the dying in the middle of nowhere part. He's an honest person, and someone looking to find his self and his meaning. I can relate to that. I think we can all relate to that. I admire Alex for having the courage and determination to do what he did. He sprang free. And I would like to think that, before he died, he got to experience life at its rawest throb. And perhaps even found himself. Jon Krakauer told us, in his introduction, that he received feedback from his original article that he could categorize into two sections. He described the first set of people as saying they thought McCandless to be a reckless, ignorant, and selfish boy. The other group thought him to be inspirational and intelligent. That statement holds significant truth. Because I've seen it even in my own home. When I read something that I found particularly enlightening, I'd read it aloud to either my mother or my father and they’d be of the former opinion. I am of the latter. I have two theories as to why our opinions differ. The first being age. Perhaps, because I have had a considerably less lifetime than my parents, I have a different perspective for Alex's story. Perhaps, as I am closer to his age, I am better able to understand where he was coming from. But my second theory is parenthood. I think that, maybe, because they are parents, themselves, my parents don't look at it from Alex's perspective. They look at it from his parents'. Which, if I'm being fair, is actually quite credible. I believe that, were I to ever do something of this nature, my parents would go fraught with worry in the same way Alex's did. I believe any parent would. There’s a section in Into The Wild when the author described the journey Alex took as a “hegira”. I had to look up hegira because I hadn’t a single guess as to what it could possibly mean. It means "a flight to escape danger," which I found to be a very interesting description of Alex's journey. But it left me wondering: What was he escaping? The society he seemed to abhor? The conventionalism his parents, though good people, seem to possess? Or just the world in general? Alex was not so different from the rest of us, after all. He, like us, is vulnerable. Afraid of the pain emotional attachment can cause. I like that. I like having the knowledge that this man, who I have come to admire even more, is not as different from me as I had been led to think.
ReplyDeleteMiranda- G
I cannot relate with Chris Mcandless. He did a lot of stupid things just kind of spur of the moment instead of thinking it through. He gave away all his money. Why did he do that? How does that help him? He should have just withdrawn it all if he really wanted to sever all contact, not get rid of it. Later on he has to work at a MacDonald’s for money. He did not like working there. Working there did not benefit him in any way besides getting money. He could have skipped that altogether. Some might say he wanted to work for his money because he thought the experience would be beneficial, but I do not think that experience of working at MacDonald’s emotionally benefited him new way. Chris Mcandless also kind of seemed like a masochist to me. He said he wanted to sever all contact. Ok, that’s fine, he did that. Then he continued to deny himself things. Like when he met that girl or when he made friends on that farm. Whenever something was going his way he left. He always left. Chris Mcandless is not someone I would associate myself with.
ReplyDeleteCharles Kelley - C
In all of the environments the one that he was so ill prepared that led to his demises was the Alaskan wilderness that would in the end become the place of his last resting place because of his state that in many experts view he wasn’t ready for such an unforgiving wilderness. He was able to push on his trip before because of his unexpected meetings but in the end Chris McCandless had turned away someone who had liked in the area but he just had some bad luck. Which can be said because of the state that Chris left Alaska, it was without a doubt the most unsuccessful environment that he faced.
ReplyDeleteWe should not discuss The House on Mango Street in class because the book did not give us a good enough impact that is discussion worthy in a way that would actually present to us a stable basis for a discussion that would actually benefit us. The House on Mango Street did not have a sufficient plot structure that would give us a beneficial argument that could help us but its only good aspect is that it can only give us an aspect on the basis of some poetry. What this book was trying to accomplish is not relevant to what we are learning in my opinion. This book has no relevancy to the hero’s journey and has no acceptable relevance to the coming of age hallmarks. In my opinion the House on Mango Street would be an unnecessary hindrance to our curriculum. With this info deciding to discuss the house on Mango Street is a avoidable and unnecessary.
ReplyDeleteJoshua Edwards- C
Chris McCandless was a very foolish individual. I cannot relate to him at all. He grows up in a wealthy family and has a promising future in law. But despite leading a privileged life he decides to give up all his money and abandon his family to go live in the wilderness because he is to selfish to think of anyone's emotions but his own. I say that Chris is a fool and there is no way I could ever identify with him or Mr. Jon Krakauer.
ReplyDeleteBen L-D