Overall, the “Coming of Age” blog posts for the book Into the Wild were well written, but almost every paragraph had grammar mistakes. In addition, the ideas, for the most part, were well developed. Three examples of this include the paragraphs written by William Twomey, Julian Sutton, and Miranda Heath. William Twomey’s paragraph was spot on. I too agree that Jon Krakauer and Chris McCandless have many similarities. Another decent example was Julian Sutton’s post. Although I disagree with his ideas, the post is well written and effectively argues a point. Lastly, Miranda Heath developed a very interesting paragraph. Even though it was not necessarily perfect as far as grammar and structure, it is a great example of how to argue a point. In the end, the blog posts may have had some grammar and structure problems, but some found a way to efficiently argue and support a point of view.
While reading all of the blog posts, I enjoyed Nathaniel’s, Miranda’s, and Sasha’s. In Nathaniel’s, he had great comparison. He said Krackour climbed for recreation where as McCandless climbed for something more in life. Miranda’s was enjoyable and well written. The only problem with hers is that she didn’t base the paragraph on her answer. If the paragraph were to be revolving around her answer then she would be able to reach her full potential. Sasha’s was also very well written. She pointed out how Jon compared himself to Chris. She mainly focused on the comparison of the two. If she were to have another argument to back that up such as Chris giving her belongings away, then I would enjoy reading her paragraph more. Sarah - E
I liked Jenna Mintz, William Twomey, and Ido Caspi’s paragraphs while rereading the comments. I agree with what Twomey and Jenna said and believe that their paragraphs are well written. Although I do not agree with Ido’s idea that Chris should not have gone on the journey at all, I do agree with some of the points made in his paragraph and believe that it was well written. Peter Gandle – E
I thought William Twomey, Sasha Lasky, and Jenna Mintz did awesome jobs. William did a great job describing Chris and I agree with his description, and on top of that his examples are interesting. I think that Sasha put great and specific details and it really explains why Jon Krakauer relates to Chris. I agree with what Sasha said. I found that Jenna really put her own life and Chris’s life together and made it work in a paragraph. I think that William Twomey, Sasha Lasky, and Jenna Mintz all did a great job. David Gertler-E
While reading everybody’s paragraphs I particularly liked William Uhault’s, Julians’s, and Riley’s. Although I do not agree with some of William’s comments his paragraph was very well written. He wrote things that have never crossed my mind, and caused me to reevaluate Chris McCandless. Next time however, he needs to spell check. I liked Julian’s paragraph as well. This is because all of his ideas went well together, and he backed up his ideas very well. I also like Riley’s paragraphs. Even though there were two paragraphs they were very good. Both of them meshed very well together, and had a very strong presence. Also I liked how she talked about how she could relate to Chris and how she couldn’t. In conclusion I thought that William, Julian, and Riley had the best paragraphs and all of theirs really caught my attention.
Many of the paragraphs were very well written and constructed. However, three that really stuck out to me. The three paragraphs that caught my eye were William Uhalt’s, William Twomeys’s, and Jenna Mintz’s. William Uhalt had a nice grip on who Christopher seemed to be. His arguments were very convincing; however, I did not agree that Chris would have prospered if he had stayed and not gone on his journey to Alaska. Although this is true, I highly enjoyed his paragraph and he did a good job arguing his opinions. In William Twomey’s paragraph, I do not agree that Christopher was a “junky”. Although, I think that he was very convincing, and I enjoyed reading his paragraph. I agree that both Krauker and McCandless were risk takers. Because we agree, it helps me enjoy his paragraph more. In Jenna Mintz’s paragraph, I agreed with everything that she had to say from beginning to end, especially that teenagers have to find themselves which is exactly what Christopher McCandless did. He went out into the wild, by himself, to find out who he was. I agree with many of the student’s paragraphs, but these three stuck out to me tremendously. Katherine-E
Overall, the paragraphs in the previous blog were well written paragraphs because they made excellent arguments, and the majority of them were easy for me to concur with. Three students’ paragraphs that stood out to me were William Uhault, Sasha Lasky, and Julian Suttons. I liked Uhault’s paragraph because he sounded intelligent, and the paragraph was straight to the point. He made a good argument that I could relate to. I really like how he described Chris Mccandless, and even someone who has not read the book, would be able to understand his character. Sasha’s paragraph was interesting to read, because she had appealing concrete details, and commentary. Her description words were colorful, and her comparisons of Jon Krakauer and Chris were especially good. Julian’s paragraph was very relevant, unique, and it was written very well from his own point of view. He made it clear that he agreed with Chris, and gave great relations between himself and Chris. These paragraphs are all intriguing, and worthy of an A. - Jamie Hawkins (E Block)
There were many good and bad blog posts. I picked two that I thought were very good and one that I thought was not very well written. I completely agreed with what William Twomey said and it was also well written. George Casey's was very well written. I did not agree with what he said but his writing made me consider changing my point of view. I did not enjoy reading David Gertler's. The first mistake was instead of writing the word "like" he wrote "lick". His examples of how he relates to Chris such as climbing mountains and going on western adventures do not work.
Overall, I was impressed by the quality of our grade’s blog posts. I thought most of them were very thorough and had a lot of thought in them. Three blog posts that really stood out to me were Sasha’s, Nathaniel’s, and Miranda’s. Sasha’s was extremely well written and I strongly agree with what she said. I too think that Jon Krakauer identified with Chris. The next blog post that I liked was Nathaniel’s. Although I strongly disagree with the statement that he made, I definitely respect what he said and I also see his reasoning behind it. The last blog post that I greatly liked was Miranda’s. Other than her great writing, perfect word choice, and flawless structure, what she said really meant something to me. I completely agree that different people see Chris’s story differently. I also believe that my parents interprate Chris’s story differently from the way I do. Although the majority of the blog posts were great, these three really stood out to me.
I enjoyed many of the paragraphs answering the questions: “Can you identify with Chris McCandless?” and “Did Jon Krauker identify himself with Chris McCandless?” My favorites of the many posts were William Uhalt’s, Sasha Lasky’s, Charlotte Huger’s, and Sarauniya Zulu’s. William’s, Charlotte’s, and Sarunniya’s posts were very nicely worded. Their nice wording kept me interested, and helped to accentuate their view. William Uhalt’s superb description of his feelings toward McCandless’s decisions kept me engaged while reading his paragraph. William, Sasha and Sarauniya’s posts proved their points excellently. This changed my look on the book completely because I could look at Chris McCandless from their eyes. Sarauniya demonstrated her point that Chris McCandless went on his journey to rebel against his parents and to start a new life extraordinarily well. Charlotte’s paragraph had a great point of view which interested me because I hadn’t thought of the book in her perspective. Charlotte talked about how Jon Krauker had intentions to explore the wild, while Chris McCandless’s only concern was getting to Alaska. Many of the paragraphs answering to the Chris McCandless identifying questions were wonderful however; I especially admired William Uhalt’s, Sasha Lasky’s, Charlotte Huger’s, and Sarauniya Zulu’s.
While I respect the opinions of my peers, I found myself not agreeing with the majority of them. Three that particularly stood out to me were Gabrielle Stone’s, Wyatt Perkinson’s, and Nathaniel Seigel’s. With Gabrielle’s paragraph, I strongly disagree with the point she conveyed. While it was nicely worded, the point she made was one that I can’t side with. Alex McCandless was very in touch with his emotions, although she was correct in her statement that he didn’t share them. It is also incorrect to say he was depressed. He was a happy man who put his head in the brakes and his heart in overdrive. Wyatt Perkinson’s paragraph stood out to me because of how stressfully I disagree. McCandless didn’t live in Alaska. He didn’t really live anywhere. He took excursions. And Alaska was one of them. Wyatt stated that “…if I had a bright future like he did I would not throw it away”. But I believe that is why McCandless left society. Because so many people expected so much from him. He wanted to be the one to expect things from himself, and living in solace, he could. Nathaniel’s paragraph was very well-worded and I agree completely. While McCandless and Krakauer both spent an enormous amount of time outdoors, their motives for doing so are almost opposite. I respect that one opinion differs from another, and I understand that, under that assumption, not everyone’s opinion will be similar to my own.
The three blog posts that stood out to me were Miranda’s, Jenna’s, and Nathaniel’s. Miranda’s blog post was very well written, and I agreed with her opinion. I think how she identified with Chris McCandless was same of the same reasons I would identify with him. Jenna’s was also very well written and she identified with Chris McCandless for some different and some of the same reasons as Miranda. What Jenna wrote in her blog post opened my eyes to other ways that I could identify with Chris, just like she did. Nathaniel’s post was also written well, but I disagree with what he said about McCandless and Krauker. I think that Krauker most definitely did identify himself with McCandless. Many times in the book Krauker said they were very much like each other. Moreover all of these were well written but I agree and disagree with some of the posts. Sasha-G
I was both impressed and unimpressed with the blog posts I saw about Chris McCandless, but I believe three of the comments were especially well done. First, I liked Cora’s blog post because the way she wrote it was both intriguing and comfortable. I also liked Julian’s paragraph because it was very persuasive and he followed all of the guidelines better than anyone else. In addition, I liked Nathaniel’s comments because his was well written and included a lot of detail. All in all, most of the blog posts were well written. Gabrielle-C
Many of the previous blog posts, specifically the ones concerning Chris McCandless, were poorly constructed; however others were above the expectations. Mainly Gabrielle, Julia, and Julian’s were impressive to me. I agreed with Julia and Julian’s. Julian’s post was well written in a way that made me realize some components I could have included in mine, such as discussing McCandless’ attitude more. Thought I do not agree with Gabrielle on her post, hers was very persuading. She mentioned that McCandless’ journey was unsuccessful, which I do not agree with, however she also stated that he went on his journey to flee from his emotions of the past, which I do agree with. Overall these specific three posts, I thought were well constructed, for they were all very persuading and appealing.
There were many good and interesting blog posts aboout.what they thought about Christopher McCandless. One blog post that I did like was George’s. I liked his blog because I can also relate how bad it is to leave your family. Another blog that I liked was Wyatt. I like his blog because I absolutely agree with what he was saying. In addition, I liked Sasha’s blog because she really describes what they have in common. These were some of my favorite posts.
Overall, the quality of these blog posts was very mixed. There were many that did not even answer the question asked. However, the good blog posts were above my expectations in both the quality of writing and the opinions expressed in the blog posts. Three posts that really stood out to me were Miranda’s, Twomey’s and Jenna’s. In Miranda’s post, not only was the writing itself extraordinary, but her when she made the reference about how Chris was trying to escape, it really made me see the entire book from a different angle. While Twomey’s was not as interesting to read, it answered the question very thoroughly and in a straightforward manner, which I respect very much. He also came up with many good examples to support his opinion, and there were little to no filler sentences. Lastly, Jenna’s post for this assignment stood out to me mainly because although I would disagree and say that I could not identify with Chris McCandless, her post actually made me think twice about my opinion due to her persuasive argument. All three of these people exceeded expectations in their well-written, well-supported, and well-argued blog posts.
The comments were overall pretty good, but some were great. For example, Drew’s was impeccable. Drew’s was very convincing and he supported his idea well. Another good one was Sasha’s. Like Drew’s, Sasha supported her idea very well. Sasha did not have any mistakes in her paragraph. William Uhalt had a pretty good paragraph as well. I liked it because of the vocabulary he used. Overall, I think most people did well but some: exceptional.
As a whole I believe our class has some of the worst grammar and spelling mistakes that I have ever had the misfortune to read. It gives me a great deal of pain to even think that Ms. Keene has to read our blog posts. Fortunately I was able to sift through some of the awful mistakes and find three papers that really impressed me. The first post that I noticed was David Kennair-Mapp’s. It was very well written, but short and to the point. He did not waste time writing useless sentences that hold next to no information, and no one really cares about. The second post I found interesting was Nathaniel’s. Like David’s post Nathaniel’s was very well written, but I completely disagree with his statements. He states that Jon Krakauer and Chris McCandless are nothing alike, even though Jon announces that he even thinks they are much alike. The third post that caught my eye was Drew’s. It was very well written, had good information, and was very argumentative throughout. Overall, even though there were many mistakes throughout the blogs there were several that were very noteworthy.
I believe the overall quality of the blog posts were not thought out and effort was not put into them. However, three people’s blogs rose to the occasion such as Jenna’s, William Uhalt’s, and Miranda’s. Jenna took a lot of time to get the point across and her paragraph was extremely persuasive. Not only was the paragraph persuasive it was also packed with good information. Another good blog post was William’s, it was organized and well written. I also enjoyed his point and it made me think. Other then William and Jenna, Miranda worked very hard and it shows. Her paragraph made me envious of her writing and she really put her thoughts down. Ultimately I believe these three people put time and effort into these paragraphs. Kyla-D
On the blog post, all 65 students had to write a blog post about Christopher McCandless and how they could or could identify with them. I think that William Twomey, George Casey, and Miranda Heath wrote the best blog posts. Although I disagree with George’s opinion, I think his writing was really good, along with Miranda and William. Miranda’s writing was excellent, along with her ideas, but you could argue that her writing could get very boring. William’s writing was very good, and his opinion made it more interesting. Overall, I believe William, George, and Miranda had the most interesting and well written blog posts out of all 65 students.
The posts that my fellow students wrote were good overall. The spelling is not very good but the ideas in general were very good. There are three posts that stood out to me the most. These three are Sasha, Twomey, and George. These people wrote good constructive paragraphs that I can agree with, except for George. He wrote a good paragraph but I could not agree with it. Twomey and Sasha wrote good paragraphs that I could agree with. The class overall did a great job. All of the paragraphs were good just a lot of spelling errors. Ben-D
Some people wrote blogs on the website that were pretty good but some people wrote blogs that were obviously thought threw. Three people that I agreed with and had well written blogs were Twomy, Slade, and William Uhalt. In Twomy’s paragraph he wrote many details that helped him support his main thought. He made a good argument throughout the paragraph which I agreed with. Along with Twomy’s paragraph which had an argument that I agreed with, Slade’s paragraph did too. Slade’s paragraph had good information and detail but was short so it was easy to read. Even though William Uhalt’s paragraph wasn’t short like Slade’s, it had all the nessesary detail that his did. His paragraph was overall just a good quality and I agreed with his thought. These three blogs were, overall, better than all the others. Elena- D
I believe that many of the blog posts that were posted to the site about Christopher McCandless were written without care or guidance but there were a few well written posts that stood out from the others. In my opinion, George Casey’s, Miranda Heath’s and Julian Sutton’s were all interesting and worth reading. George Casey’s was respectfully argumentative and strongly supported and even though I do not agree with what he says, I am almost convinced. Another post that attracted my attention is Miranda Heath’s, it is very opinionated and her commentary is written in an interesting personal way. Although it is long, her thought provoking questions make you wonder. On the other hand, Julian Sutton’s is very well written. His supports and concrete facts composed a strong paragraph that is indeed worth reading. All in all, the posts written on this blog subject were all different and only a few were exceptionally good. Caroline- C
Overall I was not very pleased with the quality of the blogs. However there were three that stood out to me as doing an excellent job. William Twomey’s paper was very smooth and made very good arguments and I definitely agree with his statements and points. Sasha’s also had very well thought out paper and fully addressed the question with great backup points. Nathaniel had very flowing paper and although I did not agree with his points his argument is very well thought out and I respect it very much. These are the three people I find did the best job on the Chris McCandless blog. Will Milvid-G
Overall, the quality of these blog posts was very mixed. There were many that did not even answer the question asked. However, the good blog posts were above my expectations in both the quality of writing and the opinions expressed in the blog posts. Three posts that really stood out to me were Miranda’s, Twomey’s and Jenna’s. In Miranda’s post, not only was the writing itself extraordinary, but her when she made the reference about how Chris was trying to escape, it really made me see the entire book from a different angle. While Twomey’s was not as interesting to read, it answered the question very thoroughly and in a straightforward manner, which I respect very much. He also came up with many good examples to support his opinion, and there were little to no filler sentences. Lastly, Jenna’s post for this assignment stood out to me mainly because although I would disagree and say that I could not identify with Chris McCandless, her post actually made me think twice about my opinion due to her persuasive argument. All three of these people exceeded expectations in their well-written, well-supported, and well-argued blog posts.
While some blog posts were well written, three people in particular had really made a good impression with their paragraphs. Those three people were Nathaniel, William Uhalt, and Sasha. I really enjoyed Nathaniel’s paragraph about what he thought of Christopher McCandless because he has hard, solid facts that are paired with excellent vocabulary. His paragraph convinces me of what he is trying to get across in the post. William Uhalt’s stood out to me because his line of thought was very clear and his choices of words were very good. Sasha’s paragraph was one of my favorites, as well, because her paragraph is very organized and Sasha also has facts that came from the book, which shows credibility. Nathaniel, William Uhalt, and Sasha wrote very well composed paragraphs that really stood out to me.
Numerous paragraphs were well written, but the three that I enjoyed most were William Uhalt’s, William Twomey’s, and Caroline Galliano’s. In William Uhalt’s paragraph, his word choice is extraordinary. He also proves a good point and I think that he understood the book superbly. In William Twomey’s he has very good supports and examples. His paragraph was very enjoyable to read and I can agree with his blog post. Caroline Galliano’s paragraph proved a very good point in a way that was understandable and mature. I can agree with all three paragraphs and all were written in a way that was pleasurable to read. Hannah - E
There were a lot of strong blog posts in the Chris McCandless topic, but the ones that I found most interesting were William Uhalt’s paragraph, Nathaniel’s paragraph, and Ashton’s paragraph. I had written that I could identify with Chris McCandless’s actions, but I agreed with William when he said that McCandless should have worked towards making the world better instead of running from it. I also agreed with Nathaniel in believing that Jon Krakauer and Chris McCandless’s purposes for being outdoors were different. Even though Nathaniel and Ashton were making different arguments, they both agreed that Chris and Jon had different purposes for being outdoors. One thing that Ashton believed that was different from Nathaniel’s opinion was that their difference in goals was not that important; that their love for the outdoors was all that Krakauer needed to relate with Chris. I found these paragraphs interesting because they helped me consider different opinions on these topics.
Our class did a great job on the “What do you think of Christopher McCandless” blog. There were a few people who I felt went above and beyond. Gabrielle did an amazing job on writing her paragraph. I agree with her concrete details and thought her commentary was excellent. Another person who I felt did awesome was Alexa. Alexa did a good job on her concrete details, even though I did not agree with all of them. Nathaniel also had a well written paragraph. I liked how he went inside what Chris was thinking during his journey. All in all, I think our class did an outstanding job on the blog.
I liked Drew’s, Ido’s, and Jay’s paragraphs for multiple reasons. First of all I agreed with all of them. I liked Drew’s paragraph because he stated his ideas very well and backed them up with facts. I also liked the points that Drew wrote down. I liked Ido’s because he talked about how he likes to be around people, and that he would not give away his belongings which I completely agree with. Finally, I agree with Jay’s because he talks about how Chris gave up a bright future. I also agree with Jay’s paragraph because he says he doesn’t like the outdoors which I agree with. When Jay says he likes his family too much to leave I would be the same way. So these are my three favorite paragraphs from the posts. Wyatt- E
Overall I though the paragraphs about Christopher McCandless were well done. Someone in particular who stood out to me was William Twomey. He backed up his points really well and he mentioned relationships I had never thought about before; for example I didn’t know Jon Krakauer climbed Mt. Everest which brings the two even closer than I thought. Another person’s paragraph that stood out was Caroline Galliano’s because she used different structures to her sentences to make it sound better. Lastly, Jamie Hawkins’s paragraph stood out. She had good word choice to make her paragraph sound better. All in all most of the paragraphs were good but only a few stood out to me.
There were many different opinions from the grade when asked if Jon Krakauer identified with Chris McCandless from the novel Into the Wild. For example, Nathaniel Siegel said that Jon Krakauer did not identify with Chris McCandless for the reason that even though they were both outdoorsmen, they were both in the wild for two very different reasons. This is a very good point, but many other people such as Sasha Lasky made the point that for about twenty pages of the book Jon Krakauer talks about the similarities between the two of them. Jon Krakauer talked about the love they shared for nature, and their willingness to get into the wild. Overall, i believe my classmates wrote strong paragraphs with good points pertaining to the question. David Terral - G
The blog posts comments were overall written well, but some were outstanding and bad in my point of view. One example of one being good was William Uhalt’s. It is clear that William understands the book behind the lines and pondered about what Chris truly wanted. Another one that was good was Nathanial’s because he explained the relationship with Krakauer and Chris extremely well. However, not all of the comments were good in my opinion such as Kennidi Walker’s comment. It is obvious that Kennidi did not read this book because in my experience in reading the book, Chris did not burn his car nor did he not have food. I suggest not posting a comment if you do not have accurate information. Abbas-C
After reading my fellow classmate's discussions on whether Jon Krakauer could identify with Christopher McCandless or not, or if my peers could identify and relate towards Chris, I have identified a few individual blogs that I really enjoyed reading, or disapproved of the writing style. Some individuals that I really recognized by the writing talent was Nathaniel Siegel’s and William Uhalt’s. On the other hand, I found that my classmate William Twomey's paper was lacking of the key exponents of a paragraph. After reading Nathaniel's I understood Nathaniel's clear grasp for his argument. Nathaniel had a great topic sentence and transitioned each sentence together. He shared an equal amount of commentary and concrete sentences. His argument was strong and backed up with information straight from the book, excelling his paragraph. Although, Nathaniel's paper was not the only paper that appeared interesting in my opinion. After reading my peer, William Uhalt's paper, I really saw writing talent. William opens his paragraph stating his opinion towards the question then backs it up with commentary and facts right out the book. His argument about Chris leaving to escape the flaws of society really got me interested and allowed me to really enjoy reading his paper. As I transcended from paper to paper I read William Twomey's post. Mr.Twomey wrote a very well paper but lacked some of the necessary exponents. First off, William had no commentary. He only had a few transition statements, but does defend his argument very well. After reading my peers’ blogs I was impressed by most of the writing talent in our grade and besides the few disappointing paragraphs, most posts made me believe that our grade is packed with talented writers.
There were many controversial paragraphs in the blog from last week. I agreed with some people, but disagreed with others. Some of the ones I disagreed with were Ronnie's, Kennedi's, and Aidan's. While reading Kennedi’s post, I got the feeling that she did not really answer the question. She kind of jumped around the question. She started talking about how Chris survived longer that she would have, which had nothing to do with the question. She did not state whether she could or could not relate to him until the last sentence, which confused me. Even though I did not agree with Kennedi’s argument, I agreed with Ronnie's argument. Even though I agreed with him, I feel that he did not provide enough information or facts to make a legitimate argument. Also, the last couple of his sentences do not make any sense at all. And the final paragraph a read was Mr. Aidan Oestreicher’s. I strongly doubt that he likes "spending time in the outdoors and collecting his own food, and resources". I am probably not the only person who thought this. I could not agree or disagree with him, because his post was so clouded in lies and falsities. Slade Rand-C
I thought that the paragraphs were for the most part not exceptional. A few stood out to me though. For the most part most these paragraphs were relatively small, but Miranda’s was great and beautifully well, and overall just a massive paragraph. Many people would not even have the courage to write this much on such a small assignment. A small few of these people also had beautifully well written paragraphs including Sarauniya. Sarauniya had a very well witten paragraph and I thought her points were established exceptionally well. A few people had very interesting points including George who talks about how he could not relate to Chris McCandless because the reasons that he left his home in the first place would not provoke him to leave. Overall, among all of the paragraphs there great paragraphs among Jack Stern - D
The blog posts my classmates wrote on whether they or Jon Krakauer identified with Chris McCandless were not good as a whole, but some of them were good. One of the better ones was Drew`s post, because it included good spelling and grammar. On top of that, it is a compelling argument that brings up the point about ripping his family apart, which I had not considered. Another good post was William Uhalt`s, because it had good writing etiquette. While it was mostly good, he spelled some words wrong, like form rather than from, and had a few sentence fragments. Gabrielle wrote a good paragraph, but she did not answer either of the questions. While she explained why she thought Chris ran away, and that it was not successful, she did not say whether or not she identified with him. Those were three of the better ones, but most of the other posts were horrible. Ali Rahman - D
I thought that most of the paragraphs on the blog were very good. The ideas were wonderful and the thoughts were interesting. I enjoyed reading all of the blog posts because they were very interesting and made me view perspectives that I didn’t think of before. The blog posts that impressed me were written by William Uhalt, William Twomey and George Casey. What I liked about William Uhalt’s post was the way he ordered his thoughts. He ordered it so that it came together perfectly. What I liked about Twomey’s blog post was his perspective. Although I disagree with his idea, I like the way he looked at Chris McCandless. Ultimately, George Casey used excellent vocabulary. The overall quality of the blog posts was great in my opinion and I greatly enjoyed reading them.
Overall I am pleased with the posts of my peers. Most of the posts were appropriate and spell checked with a few exceptions. Even though there were mistakes they could be easily corrected and would be a positive to learn. Three posts that stood out to me the most were George Casey’s, Drew Drouillet’s, and John David Bailey’s. Their posts were exceptionally good and I agreed with all of their points. All of them stated that Chris McCandless had a promising future with a family that loved him, but he preferred to go into the wild to escape society. This was a strong point that they based their points off of. Overall, I thought the posts were satisfactory and I hope the high level of effort continues.
The 8th grade English class overall respected the assignment but did have a few minor kinks. The word usage of Paul Kohnke especially impressed me. William Uhault’s rhythmic sentence structure and great vocabulary caught my eye. While both of these young writers needed to look at a few aspects of their paragraphs such as spelling. William Twomey had a great point and most people agreed with him. My overall perception of the 8th grade class is a talented group of young writers that need to work on being a tad more careful. George Casey-D
The entire eighth grade class had to write about if Jon Krakauer could identify with Chris McCandless or if the students could identify with him. Overall, I think the quality on this assignment was not amazing but not horrible. Most people did not check their spelling before they put their paragraphs up on the blog though. Although there were three paragraphs that stood out the most were Miranda Heath’s, Alexa Friedman’s, and George Casey’s. First, I liked Miranda’s paragraph because it was well written and even though it was long what she said was very interesting and I liked how she decided to call him Alex instead of Chris. I liked Alexa’s because what she posted was about how Chris started a journey to have a fresh start. I did not think about his journey that way before. I disagree with George’s post about saying that Chris was a lost soul and an arrogant person. Although it was interesting to read and I do agree when he said that it was shocking when Chris left his family because family is also very important to me. These are the three posts that stood out the most on this assignment. Even though some paragraphs were not the best in the end most people did an okay job. Cora-D
Overall, I thought that the blog responses were unconvincing and not well written. Everyone I read had either one or more grammatical mistakes or their examples did not back up their topic sentences. On the other hand I think there were a few exceptions. For example Drew and Julian both wrote exceptional paragraphs that I agreed with. In Drew’s paragraph I liked the statement “I cannot relate to the fact that he put his family through such a trauma”. I agree with this statement because how could anyone do that to their own family. Even though I do not agree with Julian his examples were very persuading. Such as “I understand why he took the least of amount of possessions as possible because he wanted to be as free as possible.” Lastly, I thought that Ali’s was a good paragraph but I disagreed with some of the statements. For example “Furthermore, he burned his money, lived off of other people.” Ultimately, I felt like the blog posts were thoughtless and rushed. Ashton - D
I found some of the blog posts exceptionally good, but others were terrible. I found seven that were worth reading and three that were exceptional. These were Sasha’s, William Uhalt’s, and Julian’s. Sasha’s paragraph explained how Chris and Jon had much in common and that they were both outdoorsmen searching for their own selves. Secondly she explained how Jon Krakauer always compared himself to the young Chris. In William Uhalt’s paragraph, he explained how Chris wanted to get away from the increasingly modernizing country and world. After, he mentions how Chris does not want to be a part of this modernization. He then nicely explains that Chris was running away from with his life instead of trying to map it out like Jon Krakauer once did. Lastly Julian also wrote a well worded and formatted paper. He nicely explained how he understands what Chris was going through and doing. Secondly he explained the base of the reason why Chris went onto his adventurous journey. Matthew – D
All of the Newman 8th grade students had good reviews about how either they or Jon Krakauer could or could not relate to Chris McCandless. The three that really stuck out to me were William Uhalt’s, Sasha’s, and Brittany’s. I thought William’s was amazing, it seemed like he is a professional writer, he had amazing vocabulary, and a good use of words. Another well written review was by Sasha’s, even though I disagreed with Sash about her opinion of Chris McCandless and Jon Krakauer identifying with each other, she wrote her paragraph well and had outstanding vocabulary. The way she writ just made her seem smart, even though she is really smart. Ultimately, the other paragraph that stuck out to me was Brittany’s, I also disagreed with her as well as Sasha, but I liked Brittany’s anyway. She said that Jon Krakauer did relate to Chris McCandless, which I don’t agree with, but she had good solid examples and made a good argumentative paragraph about her idea. I think William, Sasha, and Brittany all had A+ work and did really well with their blog posts. -John David Bailey - D
I particularly like William Uhalt’s, George Casey’s, and Riley Kirkpatrick’s paragraphs on Christopher McCandless. I strongly agree with William’s paragraph because I also would not want to do the things Chris did. By reading William’s paragraph you can tell that he put a lot of effort into his writing. In addition to Williams’s paragraph I can also agree with George. I would never be able to leave my family over an argument. Although I disagree with Riley’s paragraph it was well written. Riley made me understand why Chris went on his journey and persuaded me to believe her reasoning’s. Overall, William’s, George’s, and Riley’s paragraphs caught my eye when I was reading everyone’s paragraphs.
I think the 3 best paragraphs were by William Twomey, William Uhalt, and George Casey. They all put lots of effort in there blog posts and they answered the question very well. I thought they were so good because of their concrete details and commentary in the paragraphs. In William Twomey’s paragraph, he explained his argument very well and his conclusion sentence is very well done. In George Casey’s paragraph, his concrete details made a lot of sense and I agree with his comment about his parents being a big part of his life. In William Uhalt’s paragraph, his topic sentence really explained why Chris went on his journeys. These three paragraphs all were very well written and if I was the teacher, I would give them an A for the effort and work they put into their paragraphs. Kevin - E
Ronnie Lamarque, Aidan Oestricher, and Peter Drennan all had completely different paragraphs. Ronnie Lamarque seemed to not put much effort into the paragraph, which is evident in his grammar and spelling mistakes. I am sure he has good things to say if he could articulate is correctly. Aidan Oestricher’s was exemplary. He answered the question directly, and compared his life to Chris’s. The comparisons were very good and I now look at Chris and can think of Aidan. Peter Drennan’s was in the middle. He is very indecisive and half of it is I can agree with him, and the other half is him saying he doesn’t agree with him. He should pick a side and stick to it, either he can relate or he can’t. Overall, my classmates did very well on the paragraphs.
There were many blog posts on the question, “Can you identify with Christopher McCandless?” There are many that I did agree with but on the other hand there were also many that I did not agree with. For example, I did agree with Wyatt’s and George’s blog posts. I agree with Wyatt because he said he would never burn his money and abandon his car to live an adventure in the wild. George’s blog post said that he can’t imagine living without seeing his family, which I agree with as well. Although, I did not agree with Ashton’s blog post, I found it very interesting and well written. These are just a few of the many blog posts that I found interesting and well written. Blakely - C
Overall, I thought that most of the grade did a great job at writing these paragraphs. However, three of these paragraphs caught my attention. First, Aidan Oestreicher's paragraph stood out to me because of his back up ideas. His ideas really made me want to read more and made me believe that Aidan is one of the most closely related to Chris McCandless out of all of my classmates. Aidan did a great job explaining how he relates to Chris and backing it up with logical information. Another paragraph that stood out was Ali Raman's. Even though he wrote a well based paragraph, I did not agree with his ideas. Ali stated that Chris made selfish decisions by doing what he had loved to do his whole life. Also, Ali said that Chris took advantage of people because he "lived off other people.” I do not agree at all with both of the ideas Ali stated in his paragraph because I believe that anyone is eligible to make whatever they want out of their life. I do not think that Chris was being selfish by going on this trip; I think that he was just trying to have some fun in his life. The third paragraph that stuck out to me was William Uhalt's. William had great ideas, great backup information, and a well written paragraph. William used great vocabulary and grammar in his paragraph. He stated his thoughts in great order and used wonderful information to back his statements up. Even though most paragraphs were well written, these three paragraphs really made me stop and think about what the writer is trying to say.
After reading all of the blog post, the ones that I have interest in were, William Twomey, Gabrielle Stone, and Jenna Mintz. William added a lot of detail to his paragraph and it is well organized. Gabrielle’s paragraph emphasizes a lot on Chris’s unsuccessful journey. Jenna Mintz identifies Chris’s adventure and gives examples on how he does.
I read many paragraphs but only a few jumped out at me. I think that William Uhalt’s paragraph was very well written and thought out. He back up his information and gave really good detail. I agree with Uhalt’s argument and I think that he did a really good job. William and I have the same argument which is, that we cannot relate to Christopher McCandles. I also agree with Sasha argument was very good, and well written. Also Sasha gave a lot of details in her paragraph and just from reading a couple of sentences. Drew’s paragraph was outstanding and I could relate to his argument completely. I think that he did a really good job of answering the question with details. If I was the teacher I would give Drew an A for this work. Therefore I enjoyed reading all of their paragraphs. Kennedi -E
In general I was impressed with the paragraphs that the other eighth grade students wrote about. The three paragraphs that stood out the most to me were Sasha’s paragraph, David Terral’s paragraph, and Jenna’s paragraph. Sasha’s paragraph had great examples from the book of how Jon Krakauer related with Chris McCandless that all prove her point and answer the question. She never went off topic and had good organization. I enjoyed David’s paragraph because it told a story. It started with how they related before their new lives and then why they made the decision to start their new lives. It was also well written and I agree with the points he made. Jenna’s paragraph was great because it had an excellent real life example of how her life identified to Chris’s life. She answered the question perfectly when she said that he made his decision to make himself happy and that she makes all of her decisions to make her happy.
I think that everybody needs to work on their blog skills, including me. I thought that Ido, George Casey, Aidan, and Julian did a really good job on the last blog. I don’t want to name any names, but there were some people that really need to work on it. There were also people who did too much. I think it is more important to have good information than big words. Overall, I think everybody needs to take the blog posts more seriously. Charles - C
When I started reading everyone's blog post, I was unimpressed. I didn't find that many people did a very good job on this assignment, and I think that many people could have done a better job if they spent more time on it. However, I believe that William Uhalt, Nathaniel, and Sasha did very well on this assignment. They showed clear understanding of the assignment and should be used as examples of how to post on this blog. There were some other blogs that were ok and B+ material, but I believe that these three people deserve at least A's fro their blogs.
David Terrel, Caroline Galliano, and William Twomey’s paragraphs were the three that caught my eye. I thought that all of you paragraphs were very well written. To David; I totally agree with you. I also think that Chris and Jon both had the same quest on their minds; they just did it in different ways. And I love how you stated that explanation straight and to the point .To Caroline; I also agree with what you wrote. It is clear than many people will call Chris a madman and that he is this and that, but you pointed out something in the book that proved Jon does identify with Chris. Jon always seems to agree with every most every decision Chris makes. To Twomey; your paragraph was interesting and I also agree with you. Yes Jon thinks that Chris did the right thing. Yes Jon identifies with Chris. And it shows in his writing when he speaks of his own adventures. Jon uses his journeys to tell the reader how it really feels to enter the wild and that just because someone decides to do something that isn’t the norm, that doesn’t mean that person is crazy, or ignorant, or in any case stupid. It just means that that person is looking for something else in life. All of these paragraphs depicted the identification of Chris and Jon in different ways, but I most definitely agree with all of you. Overall these three paragraphs were great.
Drew, Nathaniel, and William Uhalt’s paragraphs were the best written ones and the most interesting. Drew’s paragraph shows that he and Chris do not relate or identify in any way because he disagrees with Chris’s decisions to leave his family. Williams’s paragraph was great and kept me interested, the word choice was great and showed that he disagreed with Chris. Nathaniel’s paragraph was great and gave great differences between Krakauer and McCandless, one of them was “Jon would climb mountains and loved the outdoors, when Chris was trying to live off the land.” As shown theses paragraphs were some of the best.
While reading blog posts about Chris McCandless, I found many great paragraphs that I strongly agree with and many that are poorly written which I do not agree with. I think that William Uhalt, David Gertler, Miranda Heath, and Wyatt Perkinson all wrote great paragraphs although; I disagree with how David Gertler and Wyatt Perkinson wrote their blog posts. It seemed as if Wyatt and David had a great idea of what to write but did not express as much as they should have. Miranda and William seemed as if they spent a lot of time and effort while writing their blog posts. Miranda’s paper was excellent. There were great details and great explanations of what she was trying to say. William also used great examples but along with this, he had a great use of words which made his paragraph fun to read. These four posts were great, but I think that all 65 students in this grade wrote excellent blog posts. Ido-G
I particularly agree with Sasha, Ashton, George Casey,Miranda Heath, Kennedi, AND William Twomy. They got to the point and made a lot of sense and knew what they were talking about. They typed the paragraph very well and all the paragraphs actually had to do with what was asked.
On the whole I thought our class wrote some pretty interesting blogs. There were a few exceptions, mostly when the theme of the blog was repeated more than three times in the paragraph, or the fact that the grammar in these paragraphs was mostly poor at best. I liked George Casey’s blog because I thought it was well written and I agree with the theme of the blog which was that Chris McCandless was selfish by leaving behind a promising future and his family. I also think Drew’s paragraph was well written and the theme was perhaps even more interesting as he painted Chris as a villain because he put his family through trauma by not accepting his life and cutting off all contact with them and getting rid of all his money. Ben L-D
On the whole I thought our class wrote some pretty interesting blogs. There were a few exceptions, mostly when the theme of the blog was repeated more than three times in the paragraph, or the fact that the grammar in these paragraphs was mostly poor at best. I liked George Casey’s blog because I thought it was well written and I agree with the theme of the blog which was that Chris McCandless was selfish by leaving behind a promising future and his family. I also think Drew’s paragraph was well written and the theme was perhaps even more interesting as he painted Chris as a villain because he put his family through trauma by not accepting his life and cutting off all contact with them and getting rid of all his money. Ben L-D
Overall, the “Coming of Age” blog posts for the book Into the Wild were well written, but almost every paragraph had grammar mistakes. In addition, the ideas, for the most part, were well developed. Three examples of this include the paragraphs written by William Twomey, Julian Sutton, and Miranda Heath. William Twomey’s paragraph was spot on. I too agree that Jon Krakauer and Chris McCandless have many similarities. Another decent example was Julian Sutton’s post. Although I disagree with his ideas, the post is well written and effectively argues a point. Lastly, Miranda Heath developed a very interesting paragraph. Even though it was not necessarily perfect as far as grammar and structure, it is a great example of how to argue a point. In the end, the blog posts may have had some grammar and structure problems, but some found a way to efficiently argue and support a point of view.
ReplyDeleteDrew – D
While reading all of the blog posts, I enjoyed Nathaniel’s, Miranda’s, and Sasha’s. In Nathaniel’s, he had great comparison. He said Krackour climbed for recreation where as McCandless climbed for something more in life. Miranda’s was enjoyable and well written. The only problem with hers is that she didn’t base the paragraph on her answer. If the paragraph were to be revolving around her answer then she would be able to reach her full potential. Sasha’s was also very well written. She pointed out how Jon compared himself to Chris. She mainly focused on the comparison of the two. If she were to have another argument to back that up such as Chris giving her belongings away, then I would enjoy reading her paragraph more.
ReplyDeleteSarah - E
I liked Jenna Mintz, William Twomey, and Ido Caspi’s paragraphs while rereading the comments. I agree with what Twomey and Jenna said and believe that their paragraphs are well written. Although I do not agree with Ido’s idea that Chris should not have gone on the journey at all, I do agree with some of the points made in his paragraph and believe that it was well written.
ReplyDeletePeter Gandle – E
I thought William Twomey, Sasha Lasky, and Jenna Mintz did awesome jobs. William did a great job describing Chris and I agree with his description, and on top of that his examples are interesting. I think that Sasha put great and specific details and it really explains why Jon Krakauer relates to Chris. I agree with what Sasha said. I found that Jenna really put her own life and Chris’s life together and made it work in a paragraph. I think that William Twomey, Sasha Lasky, and Jenna Mintz all did a great job.
ReplyDeleteDavid Gertler-E
While reading everybody’s paragraphs I particularly liked William Uhault’s, Julians’s, and Riley’s. Although I do not agree with some of William’s comments his paragraph was very well written. He wrote things that have never crossed my mind, and caused me to reevaluate Chris McCandless. Next time however, he needs to spell check. I liked Julian’s paragraph as well. This is because all of his ideas went well together, and he backed up his ideas very well. I also like Riley’s paragraphs. Even though there were two paragraphs they were very good. Both of them meshed very well together, and had a very strong presence. Also I liked how she talked about how she could relate to Chris and how she couldn’t. In conclusion I thought that William, Julian, and Riley had the best paragraphs and all of theirs really caught my attention.
ReplyDeleteJenna - E
Many of the paragraphs were very well written and constructed. However, three that really stuck out to me. The three paragraphs that caught my eye were William Uhalt’s, William Twomeys’s, and Jenna Mintz’s. William Uhalt had a nice grip on who Christopher seemed to be. His arguments were very convincing; however, I did not agree that Chris would have prospered if he had stayed and not gone on his journey to Alaska. Although this is true, I highly enjoyed his paragraph and he did a good job arguing his opinions. In William Twomey’s paragraph, I do not agree that Christopher was a “junky”. Although, I think that he was very convincing, and I enjoyed reading his paragraph. I agree that both Krauker and McCandless were risk takers. Because we agree, it helps me enjoy his paragraph more. In Jenna Mintz’s paragraph, I agreed with everything that she had to say from beginning to end, especially that teenagers have to find themselves which is exactly what Christopher McCandless did. He went out into the wild, by himself, to find out who he was. I agree with many of the student’s paragraphs, but these three stuck out to me tremendously.
ReplyDeleteKatherine-E
Overall, the paragraphs in the previous blog were well written paragraphs because they made excellent arguments, and the majority of them were easy for me to concur with. Three students’ paragraphs that stood out to me were William Uhault, Sasha Lasky, and Julian Suttons. I liked Uhault’s paragraph because he sounded intelligent, and the paragraph was straight to the point. He made a good argument that I could relate to. I really like how he described Chris Mccandless, and even someone who has not read the book, would be able to understand his character. Sasha’s paragraph was interesting to read, because she had appealing concrete details, and commentary. Her description words were colorful, and her comparisons of Jon Krakauer and Chris were especially good. Julian’s paragraph was very relevant, unique, and it was written very well from his own point of view. He made it clear that he agreed with Chris, and gave great relations between himself and Chris. These paragraphs are all intriguing, and worthy of an A.
ReplyDelete- Jamie Hawkins (E Block)
There were many good and bad blog posts. I picked two that I thought were very good and one that I thought was not very well written. I completely agreed with what William Twomey said and it was also well written. George Casey's was very well written. I did not agree with what he said but his writing made me consider changing my point of view. I did not enjoy reading David Gertler's. The first mistake was instead of writing the word "like" he wrote "lick". His examples of how he relates to Chris such as climbing mountains and going on western adventures do not work.
ReplyDeleteWalt- E
Overall, I was impressed by the quality of our grade’s blog posts. I thought most of them were very thorough and had a lot of thought in them. Three blog posts that really stood out to me were Sasha’s, Nathaniel’s, and Miranda’s. Sasha’s was extremely well written and I strongly agree with what she said. I too think that Jon Krakauer identified with Chris. The next blog post that I liked was Nathaniel’s. Although I strongly disagree with the statement that he made, I definitely respect what he said and I also see his reasoning behind it. The last blog post that I greatly liked was Miranda’s. Other than her great writing, perfect word choice, and flawless structure, what she said really meant something to me. I completely agree that different people see Chris’s story differently. I also believe that my parents interprate Chris’s story differently from the way I do. Although the majority of the blog posts were great, these three really stood out to me.
ReplyDeleteTwomey-G
I enjoyed many of the paragraphs answering the questions: “Can you identify with Chris McCandless?” and “Did Jon Krauker identify himself with Chris McCandless?” My favorites of the many posts were William Uhalt’s, Sasha Lasky’s, Charlotte Huger’s, and Sarauniya Zulu’s. William’s, Charlotte’s, and Sarunniya’s posts were very nicely worded. Their nice wording kept me interested, and helped to accentuate their view. William Uhalt’s superb description of his feelings toward McCandless’s decisions kept me engaged while reading his paragraph. William, Sasha and Sarauniya’s posts proved their points excellently. This changed my look on the book completely because I could look at Chris McCandless from their eyes. Sarauniya demonstrated her point that Chris McCandless went on his journey to rebel against his parents and to start a new life extraordinarily well. Charlotte’s paragraph had a great point of view which interested me because I hadn’t thought of the book in her perspective. Charlotte talked about how Jon Krauker had intentions to explore the wild, while Chris McCandless’s only concern was getting to Alaska. Many of the paragraphs answering to the Chris McCandless identifying questions were wonderful however; I especially admired William Uhalt’s, Sasha Lasky’s, Charlotte Huger’s, and Sarauniya Zulu’s.
ReplyDeleteWhile I respect the opinions of my peers, I found myself not agreeing with the majority of them. Three that particularly stood out to me were Gabrielle Stone’s, Wyatt Perkinson’s, and Nathaniel Seigel’s. With Gabrielle’s paragraph, I strongly disagree with the point she conveyed. While it was nicely worded, the point she made was one that I can’t side with. Alex McCandless was very in touch with his emotions, although she was correct in her statement that he didn’t share them. It is also incorrect to say he was depressed. He was a happy man who put his head in the brakes and his heart in overdrive. Wyatt Perkinson’s paragraph stood out to me because of how stressfully I disagree. McCandless didn’t live in Alaska. He didn’t really live anywhere. He took excursions. And Alaska was one of them. Wyatt stated that “…if I had a bright future like he did I would not throw it away”. But I believe that is why McCandless left society. Because so many people expected so much from him. He wanted to be the one to expect things from himself, and living in solace, he could. Nathaniel’s paragraph was very well-worded and I agree completely. While McCandless and Krakauer both spent an enormous amount of time outdoors, their motives for doing so are almost opposite. I respect that one opinion differs from another, and I understand that, under that assumption, not everyone’s opinion will be similar to my own.
ReplyDeleteMiranda- G
The three blog posts that stood out to me were Miranda’s, Jenna’s, and Nathaniel’s. Miranda’s blog post was very well written, and I agreed with her opinion. I think how she identified with Chris McCandless was same of the same reasons I would identify with him. Jenna’s was also very well written and she identified with Chris McCandless for some different and some of the same reasons as Miranda. What Jenna wrote in her blog post opened my eyes to other ways that I could identify with Chris, just like she did. Nathaniel’s post was also written well, but I disagree with what he said about McCandless and Krauker. I think that Krauker most definitely did identify himself with McCandless. Many times in the book Krauker said they were very much like each other. Moreover all of these were well written but I agree and disagree with some of the posts.
ReplyDeleteSasha-G
I was both impressed and unimpressed with the blog posts I saw about Chris McCandless, but I believe three of the comments were especially well done. First, I liked Cora’s blog post because the way she wrote it was both intriguing and comfortable. I also liked Julian’s paragraph because it was very persuasive and he followed all of the guidelines better than anyone else. In addition, I liked Nathaniel’s comments because his was well written and included a lot of detail. All in all, most of the blog posts were well written.
ReplyDeleteGabrielle-C
Many of the previous blog posts, specifically the ones concerning Chris McCandless, were poorly constructed; however others were above the expectations. Mainly Gabrielle, Julia, and Julian’s were impressive to me. I agreed with Julia and Julian’s. Julian’s post was well written in a way that made me realize some components I could have included in mine, such as discussing McCandless’ attitude more. Thought I do not agree with Gabrielle on her post, hers was very persuading. She mentioned that McCandless’ journey was unsuccessful, which I do not agree with, however she also stated that he went on his journey to flee from his emotions of the past, which I do agree with. Overall these specific three posts, I thought were well constructed, for they were all very persuading and appealing.
ReplyDeleteWilliam Uhalt- C
There were many good and interesting blog posts aboout.what they thought about Christopher McCandless. One blog post that I did like was George’s. I liked his blog because I can also relate how bad it is to leave your family. Another blog that I liked was Wyatt. I like his blog because I absolutely agree with what he was saying. In addition, I liked Sasha’s blog because she really describes what they have in common. These were some of my favorite posts.
ReplyDeleteAlexa-C
Overall, the quality of these blog posts was very mixed. There were many that did not even answer the question asked. However, the good blog posts were above my expectations in both the quality of writing and the opinions expressed in the blog posts. Three posts that really stood out to me were Miranda’s, Twomey’s and Jenna’s. In Miranda’s post, not only was the writing itself extraordinary, but her when she made the reference about how Chris was trying to escape, it really made me see the entire book from a different angle. While Twomey’s was not as interesting to read, it answered the question very thoroughly and in a straightforward manner, which I respect very much. He also came up with many good examples to support his opinion, and there were little to no filler sentences. Lastly, Jenna’s post for this assignment stood out to me mainly because although I would disagree and say that I could not identify with Chris McCandless, her post actually made me think twice about my opinion due to her persuasive argument. All three of these people exceeded expectations in their well-written, well-supported, and well-argued blog posts.
ReplyDeleteNathaniel- G
The comments were overall pretty good, but some were great. For example, Drew’s was impeccable. Drew’s was very convincing and he supported his idea well. Another good one was Sasha’s. Like Drew’s, Sasha supported her idea very well. Sasha did not have any mistakes in her paragraph. William Uhalt had a pretty good paragraph as well. I liked it because of the vocabulary he used. Overall, I think most people did well but some: exceptional.
ReplyDeleteWhat they said
ReplyDeleteAs a whole I believe our class has some of the worst grammar and spelling mistakes that I have ever had the misfortune to read. It gives me a great deal of pain to even think that Ms. Keene has to read our blog posts. Fortunately I was able to sift through some of the awful mistakes and find three papers that really impressed me. The first post that I noticed was David Kennair-Mapp’s. It was very well written, but short and to the point. He did not waste time writing useless sentences that hold next to no information, and no one really cares about. The second post I found interesting was Nathaniel’s. Like David’s post Nathaniel’s was very well written, but I completely disagree with his statements. He states that Jon Krakauer and Chris McCandless are nothing alike, even though Jon announces that he even thinks they are much alike. The third post that caught my eye was Drew’s. It was very well written, had good information, and was very argumentative throughout. Overall, even though there were many mistakes throughout the blogs there were several that were very noteworthy.
I believe the overall quality of the blog posts were not thought out and effort was not put into them. However, three people’s blogs rose to the occasion such as Jenna’s, William Uhalt’s, and Miranda’s. Jenna took a lot of time to get the point across and her paragraph was extremely persuasive. Not only was the paragraph persuasive it was also packed with good information. Another good blog post was William’s, it was organized and well written. I also enjoyed his point and it made me think. Other then William and Jenna, Miranda worked very hard and it shows. Her paragraph made me envious of her writing and she really put her thoughts down. Ultimately I believe these three people put time and effort into these paragraphs.
ReplyDeleteKyla-D
On the blog post, all 65 students had to write a blog post about Christopher McCandless and how they could or could identify with them. I think that William Twomey, George Casey, and Miranda Heath wrote the best blog posts. Although I disagree with George’s opinion, I think his writing was really good, along with Miranda and William. Miranda’s writing was excellent, along with her ideas, but you could argue that her writing could get very boring. William’s writing was very good, and his opinion made it more interesting. Overall, I believe William, George, and Miranda had the most interesting and well written blog posts out of all 65 students.
ReplyDeleteThe posts that my fellow students wrote were good overall. The spelling is not very good but the ideas in general were very good. There are three posts that stood out to me the most. These three are Sasha, Twomey, and George. These people wrote good constructive paragraphs that I can agree with, except for George. He wrote a good paragraph but I could not agree with it. Twomey and Sasha wrote good paragraphs that I could agree with. The class overall did a great job. All of the paragraphs were good just a lot of spelling errors.
ReplyDeleteBen-D
Some people wrote blogs on the website that were pretty good but some people wrote blogs that were obviously thought threw. Three people that I agreed with and had well written blogs were Twomy, Slade, and William Uhalt. In Twomy’s paragraph he wrote many details that helped him support his main thought. He made a good argument throughout the paragraph which I agreed with. Along with Twomy’s paragraph which had an argument that I agreed with, Slade’s paragraph did too. Slade’s paragraph had good information and detail but was short so it was easy to read. Even though William Uhalt’s paragraph wasn’t short like Slade’s, it had all the nessesary detail that his did. His paragraph was overall just a good quality and I agreed with his thought. These three blogs were, overall, better than all the others.
ReplyDeleteElena- D
I believe that many of the blog posts that were posted to the site about Christopher McCandless were written without care or guidance but there were a few well written posts that stood out from the others. In my opinion, George Casey’s, Miranda Heath’s and Julian Sutton’s were all interesting and worth reading. George Casey’s was respectfully argumentative and strongly supported and even though I do not agree with what he says, I am almost convinced. Another post that attracted my attention is Miranda Heath’s, it is very opinionated and her commentary is written in an interesting personal way. Although it is long, her thought provoking questions make you wonder. On the other hand, Julian Sutton’s is very well written. His supports and concrete facts composed a strong paragraph that is indeed worth reading. All in all, the posts written on this blog subject were all different and only a few were exceptionally good.
ReplyDeleteCaroline- C
Overall I was not very pleased with the quality of the blogs. However there were three that stood out to me as doing an excellent job. William Twomey’s paper was very smooth and made very good arguments and I definitely agree with his statements and points. Sasha’s also had very well thought out paper and fully addressed the question with great backup points. Nathaniel had very flowing paper and although I did not agree with his points his argument is very well thought out and I respect it very much. These are the three people I find did the best job on the Chris McCandless blog.
ReplyDeleteWill Milvid-G
Overall, the quality of these blog posts was very mixed. There were many that did not even answer the question asked. However, the good blog posts were above my expectations in both the quality of writing and the opinions expressed in the blog posts. Three posts that really stood out to me were Miranda’s, Twomey’s and Jenna’s. In Miranda’s post, not only was the writing itself extraordinary, but her when she made the reference about how Chris was trying to escape, it really made me see the entire book from a different angle. While Twomey’s was not as interesting to read, it answered the question very thoroughly and in a straightforward manner, which I respect very much. He also came up with many good examples to support his opinion, and there were little to no filler sentences. Lastly, Jenna’s post for this assignment stood out to me mainly because although I would disagree and say that I could not identify with Chris McCandless, her post actually made me think twice about my opinion due to her persuasive argument. All three of these people exceeded expectations in their well-written, well-supported, and well-argued blog posts.
ReplyDeleteNathaniel- G
While some blog posts were well written, three people in particular had really made a good impression with their paragraphs. Those three people were Nathaniel, William Uhalt, and Sasha. I really enjoyed Nathaniel’s paragraph about what he thought of Christopher McCandless because he has hard, solid facts that are paired with excellent vocabulary. His paragraph convinces me of what he is trying to get across in the post. William Uhalt’s stood out to me because his line of thought was very clear and his choices of words were very good. Sasha’s paragraph was one of my favorites, as well, because her paragraph is very organized and Sasha also has facts that came from the book, which shows credibility. Nathaniel, William Uhalt, and Sasha wrote very well composed paragraphs that really stood out to me.
ReplyDeleteJulia-G
Numerous paragraphs were well written, but the three that I enjoyed most were William Uhalt’s, William Twomey’s, and Caroline Galliano’s. In William Uhalt’s paragraph, his word choice is extraordinary. He also proves a good point and I think that he understood the book superbly. In William Twomey’s he has very good supports and examples. His paragraph was very enjoyable to read and I can agree with his blog post. Caroline Galliano’s paragraph proved a very good point in a way that was understandable and mature. I can agree with all three paragraphs and all were written in a way that was pleasurable to read.
ReplyDeleteHannah - E
There were a lot of strong blog posts in the Chris McCandless topic, but the ones that I found most interesting were William Uhalt’s paragraph, Nathaniel’s paragraph, and Ashton’s paragraph. I had written that I could identify with Chris McCandless’s actions, but I agreed with William when he said that McCandless should have worked towards making the world better instead of running from it. I also agreed with Nathaniel in believing that Jon Krakauer and Chris McCandless’s purposes for being outdoors were different. Even though Nathaniel and Ashton were making different arguments, they both agreed that Chris and Jon had different purposes for being outdoors. One thing that Ashton believed that was different from Nathaniel’s opinion was that their difference in goals was not that important; that their love for the outdoors was all that Krakauer needed to relate with Chris. I found these paragraphs interesting because they helped me consider different opinions on these topics.
ReplyDeleteSarauniya-C
Our class did a great job on the “What do you think of Christopher McCandless” blog. There were a few people who I felt went above and beyond. Gabrielle did an amazing job on writing her paragraph. I agree with her concrete details and thought her commentary was excellent. Another person who I felt did awesome was Alexa. Alexa did a good job on her concrete details, even though I did not agree with all of them. Nathaniel also had a well written paragraph. I liked how he went inside what Chris was thinking during his journey. All in all, I think our class did an outstanding job on the blog.
ReplyDeleteHaley-C
I liked Drew’s, Ido’s, and Jay’s paragraphs for multiple reasons. First of all I agreed with all of them. I liked Drew’s paragraph because he stated his ideas very well and backed them up with facts. I also liked the points that Drew wrote down. I liked Ido’s because he talked about how he likes to be around people, and that he would not give away his belongings which I completely agree with. Finally, I agree with Jay’s because he talks about how Chris gave up a bright future. I also agree with Jay’s paragraph because he says he doesn’t like the outdoors which I agree with. When Jay says he likes his family too much to leave I would be the same way. So these are my three favorite paragraphs from the posts.
ReplyDeleteWyatt- E
Overall I though the paragraphs about Christopher McCandless were well done. Someone in particular who stood out to me was William Twomey. He backed up his points really well and he mentioned relationships I had never thought about before; for example I didn’t know Jon Krakauer climbed Mt. Everest which brings the two even closer than I thought. Another person’s paragraph that stood out was Caroline Galliano’s because she used different structures to her sentences to make it sound better. Lastly, Jamie Hawkins’s paragraph stood out. She had good word choice to make her paragraph sound better. All in all most of the paragraphs were good but only a few stood out to me.
ReplyDeleteCharlotte Huger- G
There were many different opinions from the grade when asked if Jon Krakauer identified with Chris McCandless from the novel Into the Wild. For example, Nathaniel Siegel said that Jon Krakauer did not identify with Chris McCandless for the reason that even though they were both outdoorsmen, they were both in the wild for two very different reasons. This is a very good point, but many other people such as Sasha Lasky made the point that for about twenty pages of the book Jon Krakauer talks about the similarities between the two of them. Jon Krakauer talked about the love they shared for nature, and their willingness to get into the wild. Overall, i believe my classmates wrote strong paragraphs with good points pertaining to the question.
ReplyDeleteDavid Terral - G
The blog posts comments were overall written well, but some were outstanding and bad in my point of view. One example of one being good was William Uhalt’s. It is clear that William understands the book behind the lines and pondered about what Chris truly wanted. Another one that was good was Nathanial’s because he explained the relationship with Krakauer and Chris extremely well. However, not all of the comments were good in my opinion such as Kennidi Walker’s comment. It is obvious that Kennidi did not read this book because in my experience in reading the book, Chris did not burn his car nor did he not have food. I suggest not posting a comment if you do not have accurate information.
ReplyDeleteAbbas-C
After reading my fellow classmate's discussions on whether Jon Krakauer could identify with Christopher McCandless or not, or if my peers could identify and relate towards Chris, I have identified a few individual blogs that I really enjoyed reading, or disapproved of the writing style. Some individuals that I really recognized by the writing talent was Nathaniel Siegel’s and William Uhalt’s. On the other hand, I found that my classmate William Twomey's paper was lacking of the key exponents of a paragraph. After reading Nathaniel's I understood Nathaniel's clear grasp for his argument. Nathaniel had a great topic sentence and transitioned each sentence together. He shared an equal amount of commentary and concrete sentences. His argument was strong and backed up with information straight from the book, excelling his paragraph. Although, Nathaniel's paper was not the only paper that appeared interesting in my opinion. After reading my peer, William Uhalt's paper, I really saw writing talent. William opens his paragraph stating his opinion towards the question then backs it up with commentary and facts right out the book. His argument about Chris leaving to escape the flaws of society really got me interested and allowed me to really enjoy reading his paper. As I transcended from paper to paper I read William Twomey's post. Mr.Twomey wrote a very well paper but lacked some of the necessary exponents. First off, William had no commentary. He only had a few transition statements, but does defend his argument very well. After reading my peers’ blogs I was impressed by most of the writing talent in our grade and besides the few disappointing paragraphs, most posts made me believe that our grade is packed with talented writers.
ReplyDeleteAidan-C
There were many controversial paragraphs in the blog from last week. I agreed with some people, but disagreed with others. Some of the ones I disagreed with were Ronnie's, Kennedi's, and Aidan's. While reading Kennedi’s post, I got the feeling that she did not really answer the question. She kind of jumped around the question. She started talking about how Chris survived longer that she would have, which had nothing to do with the question. She did not state whether she could or could not relate to him until the last sentence, which confused me. Even though I did not agree with Kennedi’s argument, I agreed with Ronnie's argument. Even though I agreed with him, I feel that he did not provide enough information or facts to make a legitimate argument. Also, the last couple of his sentences do not make any sense at all. And the final paragraph a read was Mr. Aidan Oestreicher’s. I strongly doubt that he likes "spending time in the outdoors and collecting his own food, and resources". I am probably not the only person who thought this. I could not agree or disagree with him, because his post was so clouded in lies and falsities.
ReplyDeleteSlade Rand-C
I thought that the paragraphs were for the most part not exceptional. A few stood out to me though. For the most part most these paragraphs were relatively small, but Miranda’s was great and beautifully well, and overall just a massive paragraph. Many people would not even have the courage to write this much on such a small assignment. A small few of these people also had beautifully well written paragraphs including Sarauniya. Sarauniya had a very well witten paragraph and I thought her points were established exceptionally well. A few people had very interesting points including George who talks about how he could not relate to Chris McCandless because the reasons that he left his home in the first place would not provoke him to leave. Overall, among all of the paragraphs there great paragraphs among
ReplyDeleteJack Stern - D
The blog posts my classmates wrote on whether they or Jon Krakauer identified with Chris McCandless were not good as a whole, but some of them were good. One of the better ones was Drew`s post, because it included good spelling and grammar. On top of that, it is a compelling argument that brings up the point about ripping his family apart, which I had not considered. Another good post was William Uhalt`s, because it had good writing etiquette. While it was mostly good, he spelled some words wrong, like form rather than from, and had a few sentence fragments. Gabrielle wrote a good paragraph, but she did not answer either of the questions. While she explained why she thought Chris ran away, and that it was not successful, she did not say whether or not she identified with him. Those were three of the better ones, but most of the other posts were horrible.
ReplyDeleteAli Rahman - D
I thought that most of the paragraphs on the blog were very good. The ideas were wonderful and the thoughts were interesting. I enjoyed reading all of the blog posts because they were very interesting and made me view perspectives that I didn’t think of before. The blog posts that impressed me were written by William Uhalt, William Twomey and George Casey. What I liked about William Uhalt’s post was the way he ordered his thoughts. He ordered it so that it came together perfectly. What I liked about Twomey’s blog post was his perspective. Although I disagree with his idea, I like the way he looked at Chris McCandless. Ultimately, George Casey used excellent vocabulary. The overall quality of the blog posts was great in my opinion and I greatly enjoyed reading them.
ReplyDeletePauly-D
Overall I am pleased with the posts of my peers. Most of the posts were appropriate and spell checked with a few exceptions. Even though there were mistakes they could be easily corrected and would be a positive to learn. Three posts that stood out to me the most were George Casey’s, Drew Drouillet’s, and John David Bailey’s. Their posts were exceptionally good and I agreed with all of their points. All of them stated that Chris McCandless had a promising future with a family that loved him, but he preferred to go into the wild to escape society. This was a strong point that they based their points off of. Overall, I thought the posts were satisfactory and I hope the high level of effort continues.
ReplyDeleteJames-D
The 8th grade English class overall respected the assignment but did have a few minor kinks. The word usage of Paul Kohnke especially impressed me. William Uhault’s rhythmic sentence structure and great vocabulary caught my eye. While both of these young writers needed to look at a few aspects of their paragraphs such as spelling. William Twomey had a great point and most people agreed with him. My overall perception of the 8th grade class is a talented group of young writers that need to work on being a tad more careful.
ReplyDeleteGeorge Casey-D
The entire eighth grade class had to write about if Jon Krakauer could identify with Chris McCandless or if the students could identify with him. Overall, I think the quality on this assignment was not amazing but not horrible. Most people did not check their spelling before they put their paragraphs up on the blog though. Although there were three paragraphs that stood out the most were Miranda Heath’s, Alexa Friedman’s, and George Casey’s. First, I liked Miranda’s paragraph because it was well written and even though it was long what she said was very interesting and I liked how she decided to call him Alex instead of Chris. I liked Alexa’s because what she posted was about how Chris started a journey to have a fresh start. I did not think about his journey that way before. I disagree with George’s post about saying that Chris was a lost soul and an arrogant person. Although it was interesting to read and I do agree when he said that it was shocking when Chris left his family because family is also very important to me. These are the three posts that stood out the most on this assignment. Even though some paragraphs were not the best in the end most people did an okay job.
ReplyDeleteCora-D
Overall, I thought that the blog responses were unconvincing and not well written. Everyone I read had either one or more grammatical mistakes or their examples did not back up their topic sentences. On the other hand I think there were a few exceptions. For example Drew and Julian both wrote exceptional paragraphs that I agreed with. In Drew’s paragraph I liked the statement “I cannot relate to the fact that he put his family through such a trauma”. I agree with this statement because how could anyone do that to their own family. Even though I do not agree with Julian his examples were very persuading. Such as “I understand why he took the least of amount of possessions as possible because he wanted to be as free as possible.” Lastly, I thought that Ali’s was a good paragraph but I disagreed with some of the statements. For example “Furthermore, he burned his money, lived off of other people.” Ultimately, I felt like the blog posts were thoughtless and rushed.
ReplyDeleteAshton - D
I found some of the blog posts exceptionally good, but others were terrible. I found seven that were worth reading and three that were exceptional. These were Sasha’s, William Uhalt’s, and Julian’s. Sasha’s paragraph explained how Chris and Jon had much in common and that they were both outdoorsmen searching for their own selves. Secondly she explained how Jon Krakauer always compared himself to the young Chris. In William Uhalt’s paragraph, he explained how Chris wanted to get away from the increasingly modernizing country and world. After, he mentions how Chris does not want to be a part of this modernization. He then nicely explains that Chris was running away from with his life instead of trying to map it out like Jon Krakauer once did. Lastly Julian also wrote a well worded and formatted paper. He nicely explained how he understands what Chris was going through and doing. Secondly he explained the base of the reason why Chris went onto his adventurous journey.
ReplyDeleteMatthew – D
All of the Newman 8th grade students had good reviews about how either they or Jon Krakauer could or could not relate to Chris McCandless. The three that really stuck out to me were William Uhalt’s, Sasha’s, and Brittany’s. I thought William’s was amazing, it seemed like he is a professional writer, he had amazing vocabulary, and a good use of words. Another well written review was by Sasha’s, even though I disagreed with Sash about her opinion of Chris McCandless and Jon Krakauer identifying with each other, she wrote her paragraph well and had outstanding vocabulary. The way she writ just made her seem smart, even though she is really smart. Ultimately, the other paragraph that stuck out to me was Brittany’s, I also disagreed with her as well as Sasha, but I liked Brittany’s anyway. She said that Jon Krakauer did relate to Chris McCandless, which I don’t agree with, but she had good solid examples and made a good argumentative paragraph about her idea. I think William, Sasha, and Brittany all had A+ work and did really well with their blog posts.
ReplyDelete-John David Bailey - D
I particularly like William Uhalt’s, George Casey’s, and Riley Kirkpatrick’s paragraphs on Christopher McCandless. I strongly agree with William’s paragraph because I also would not want to do the things Chris did. By reading William’s paragraph you can tell that he put a lot of effort into his writing. In addition to Williams’s paragraph I can also agree with George. I would never be able to leave my family over an argument. Although I disagree with Riley’s paragraph it was well written. Riley made me understand why Chris went on his journey and persuaded me to believe her reasoning’s. Overall, William’s, George’s, and Riley’s paragraphs caught my eye when I was reading everyone’s paragraphs.
ReplyDeleteBrittany- E
I think the 3 best paragraphs were by William Twomey, William Uhalt, and George Casey. They all put lots of effort in there blog posts and they answered the question very well. I thought they were so good because of their concrete details and commentary in the paragraphs. In William Twomey’s paragraph, he explained his argument very well and his conclusion sentence is very well done. In George Casey’s paragraph, his concrete details made a lot of sense and I agree with his comment about his parents being a big part of his life. In William Uhalt’s paragraph, his topic sentence really explained why Chris went on his journeys. These three paragraphs all were very well written and if I was the teacher, I would give them an A for the effort and work they put into their paragraphs.
ReplyDeleteKevin - E
Ronnie Lamarque, Aidan Oestricher, and Peter Drennan all had completely different paragraphs. Ronnie Lamarque seemed to not put much effort into the paragraph, which is evident in his grammar and spelling mistakes. I am sure he has good things to say if he could articulate is correctly. Aidan Oestricher’s was exemplary. He answered the question directly, and compared his life to Chris’s. The comparisons were very good and I now look at Chris and can think of Aidan. Peter Drennan’s was in the middle. He is very indecisive and half of it is I can agree with him, and the other half is him saying he doesn’t agree with him. He should pick a side and stick to it, either he can relate or he can’t. Overall, my classmates did very well on the paragraphs.
ReplyDelete- Michael McAlpine
There were many blog posts on the question, “Can you identify with Christopher McCandless?” There are many that I did agree with but on the other hand there were also many that I did not agree with. For example, I did agree with Wyatt’s and George’s blog posts. I agree with Wyatt because he said he would never burn his money and abandon his car to live an adventure in the wild. George’s blog post said that he can’t imagine living without seeing his family, which I agree with as well. Although, I did not agree with Ashton’s blog post, I found it very interesting and well written. These are just a few of the many blog posts that I found interesting and well written.
ReplyDeleteBlakely - C
Overall, I thought that most of the grade did a great job at writing these paragraphs. However, three of these paragraphs caught my attention. First, Aidan Oestreicher's paragraph stood out to me because of his back up ideas. His ideas really made me want to read more and made me believe that Aidan is one of the most closely related to Chris McCandless out of all of my classmates. Aidan did a great job explaining how he relates to Chris and backing it up with logical information. Another paragraph that stood out was Ali Raman's. Even though he wrote a well based paragraph, I did not agree with his ideas. Ali stated that Chris made selfish decisions by doing what he had loved to do his whole life. Also, Ali said that Chris took advantage of people because he "lived off other people.” I do not agree at all with both of the ideas Ali stated in his paragraph because I believe that anyone is eligible to make whatever they want out of their life. I do not think that Chris was being selfish by going on this trip; I think that he was just trying to have some fun in his life. The third paragraph that stuck out to me was William Uhalt's. William had great ideas, great backup information, and a well written paragraph. William used great vocabulary and grammar in his paragraph. He stated his thoughts in great order and used wonderful information to back his statements up. Even though most paragraphs were well written, these three paragraphs really made me stop and think about what the writer is trying to say.
ReplyDeleteZack Backstrom - D
After reading all of the blog post, the ones that I have interest in were, William Twomey, Gabrielle Stone, and Jenna Mintz. William added a lot of detail to his paragraph and it is well organized. Gabrielle’s paragraph emphasizes a lot on Chris’s unsuccessful journey. Jenna Mintz identifies Chris’s adventure and gives examples on how he does.
ReplyDeleteAlisen- G
I read many paragraphs but only a few jumped out at me. I think that William Uhalt’s paragraph was very well written and thought out. He back up his information and gave really good detail. I agree with Uhalt’s argument and I think that he did a really good job. William and I have the same argument which is, that we cannot relate to Christopher McCandles. I also agree with Sasha argument was very good, and well written. Also Sasha gave a lot of details in her paragraph and just from reading a couple of sentences. Drew’s paragraph was outstanding and I could relate to his argument completely. I think that he did a really good job of answering the question with details. If I was the teacher I would give Drew an A for this work. Therefore I enjoyed reading all of their paragraphs.
ReplyDeleteKennedi -E
In general I was impressed with the paragraphs that the other eighth grade students wrote about. The three paragraphs that stood out the most to me were Sasha’s paragraph, David Terral’s paragraph, and Jenna’s paragraph. Sasha’s paragraph had great examples from the book of how Jon Krakauer related with Chris McCandless that all prove her point and answer the question. She never went off topic and had good organization. I enjoyed David’s paragraph because it told a story. It started with how they related before their new lives and then why they made the decision to start their new lives. It was also well written and I agree with the points he made. Jenna’s paragraph was great because it had an excellent real life example of how her life identified to Chris’s life. She answered the question perfectly when she said that he made his decision to make himself happy and that she makes all of her decisions to make her happy.
ReplyDeleteCole-G
I think that everybody needs to work on their blog skills, including me. I thought that Ido, George Casey, Aidan, and Julian did a really good job on the last blog. I don’t want to name any names, but there were some people that really need to work on it. There were also people who did too much. I think it is more important to have good information than big words. Overall, I think everybody needs to take the blog posts more seriously.
ReplyDeleteCharles - C
When I started reading everyone's blog post, I was unimpressed. I didn't find that many people did a very good job on this assignment, and I think that many people could have done a better job if they spent more time on it. However, I believe that William Uhalt, Nathaniel, and Sasha did very well on this assignment. They showed clear understanding of the assignment and should be used as examples of how to post on this blog. There were some other blogs that were ok and B+ material, but I believe that these three people deserve at least A's fro their blogs.
ReplyDeleteDavid Terrel, Caroline Galliano, and William Twomey’s paragraphs were the three that caught my eye. I thought that all of you paragraphs were very well written. To David; I totally agree with you. I also think that Chris and Jon both had the same quest on their minds; they just did it in different ways. And I love how you stated that explanation straight and to the point .To Caroline; I also agree with what you wrote. It is clear than many people will call Chris a madman and that he is this and that, but you pointed out something in the book that proved Jon does identify with Chris. Jon always seems to agree with every most every decision Chris makes. To Twomey; your paragraph was interesting and I also agree with you. Yes Jon thinks that Chris did the right thing. Yes Jon identifies with Chris. And it shows in his writing when he speaks of his own adventures. Jon uses his journeys to tell the reader how it really feels to enter the wild and that just because someone decides to do something that isn’t the norm, that doesn’t mean that person is crazy, or ignorant, or in any case stupid. It just means that that person is looking for something else in life. All of these paragraphs depicted the identification of Chris and Jon in different ways, but I most definitely agree with all of you. Overall these three paragraphs were great.
ReplyDeleteJay - G
Drew, Nathaniel, and William Uhalt’s paragraphs were the best written ones and the most interesting. Drew’s paragraph shows that he and Chris do not relate or identify in any way because he disagrees with Chris’s decisions to leave his family. Williams’s paragraph was great and kept me interested, the word choice was great and showed that he disagreed with Chris. Nathaniel’s paragraph was great and gave great differences between Krakauer and McCandless, one of them was “Jon would climb mountains and loved the outdoors, when Chris was trying to live off the land.” As shown theses paragraphs were some of the best.
ReplyDeleteWhile reading blog posts about Chris McCandless, I found many great paragraphs that I strongly agree with and many that are poorly written which I do not agree with. I think that William Uhalt, David Gertler, Miranda Heath, and Wyatt Perkinson all wrote great paragraphs although; I disagree with how David Gertler and Wyatt Perkinson wrote their blog posts. It seemed as if Wyatt and David had a great idea of what to write but did not express as much as they should have. Miranda and William seemed as if they spent a lot of time and effort while writing their blog posts. Miranda’s paper was excellent. There were great details and great explanations of what she was trying to say. William also used great examples but along with this, he had a great use of words which made his paragraph fun to read. These four posts were great, but I think that all 65 students in this grade wrote excellent blog posts. Ido-G
ReplyDeleteI particularly agree with Sasha, Ashton, George Casey,Miranda Heath, Kennedi, AND William Twomy. They got to the point and made a lot of sense and knew what they were talking about. They typed the paragraph very well and all the paragraphs actually had to do with what was asked.
ReplyDeleteMarquez-D
On the whole I thought our class wrote some pretty interesting blogs. There were a few exceptions, mostly when the theme of the blog was repeated more than three times in the paragraph, or the fact that the grammar in these paragraphs was mostly poor at best. I liked George Casey’s blog because I thought it was well written and I agree with the theme of the blog which was that Chris McCandless was selfish by leaving behind a promising future and his family. I also think Drew’s paragraph was well written and the theme was perhaps even more interesting as he painted Chris as a villain because he put his family through trauma by not accepting his life and cutting off all contact with them and getting rid of all his money.
ReplyDeleteBen L-D
On the whole I thought our class wrote some pretty interesting blogs. There were a few exceptions, mostly when the theme of the blog was repeated more than three times in the paragraph, or the fact that the grammar in these paragraphs was mostly poor at best. I liked George Casey’s blog because I thought it was well written and I agree with the theme of the blog which was that Chris McCandless was selfish by leaving behind a promising future and his family. I also think Drew’s paragraph was well written and the theme was perhaps even more interesting as he painted Chris as a villain because he put his family through trauma by not accepting his life and cutting off all contact with them and getting rid of all his money.
ReplyDeleteBen L-D