Sunday, August 29, 2010

Introductions

Please introduce yourself on the blog. Let us know what your name is, your English block letter, what you hope to learn in this class, and what your favorite book is. I'm Ms. Keene, as you know. This is my second year teaching in New Orleans, and I love living here and working at Newman. I have a lot of favorite books, but one of the reasons I moved to New Orleans is because I fell in love with this city and the South in general through literature and wanted to experience life here for myself. Some of my favorite books are The Heart is a Lonely Hunter by Carson McCullers, As I Lay Dying by William Faulkner, The Collected Stories by Flannery O'Connor, The Moviegoer by Walker Percy, A Death in the Family by James Agee, and of course, To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee -- all classic Southern novels. What about you? I look forward to sharing our reading and writing interests during this school year!

64 comments:

  1. Hey I'm Julian and my favorite books are from the Hunger Games series.

    Julian-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, My names is James-D. My favorite book is The Thief Lord.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My favorite book is Stone Cold by David Baldacci
    Marquez-D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, This is John David. My favorite books are the Hunger Games series. The Hunger Games, Catching Fire, and the Mockinjay are the books within the series. They are written by Suzanne Collins.
    John David Bailey - D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, my name is Drew. I want to enhance my grammar and vocabulary skills in this class. My favorite book is the Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien.

    Drew - D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello, my name is Ali Rahman. I am in D block English. I hope to learn how to read Shakespearean English. My favorite book is the Rangers Apprentice series.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey, my name is Ashton - D. My favorite book is The Adoration of Jenna Fox. Ashton Politz - D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ben Luongo-D
    My favorite book is Ender's Shadow by Orson Scott Card. This is a parallel novel to Ender's Game. That means that the story takes place at the same time as the other but it is from a different character's perspective. I like this book better than Ender's Game because I think the main character is more interesting and has more of a story behind him. I also like that it goes deeper into the strategy of war according to Bean. It also goes into more detail about the politics and tensions on the planet Earth during that time. This is a really good book and I recommend that everyone in the class read it because if you liked Ender's Game you're going to love this gem by Orson Scott Card.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Some of my favorite books are the Hunger Games series, the Outsiders, and the Percy Jackson and the Olympians series. Those are not all of my favorites books, however.

    Zack - D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey my name is Paul. My favorite book is called Eli Manning: The Making of a Quarterback.

    Paul-D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey I'm Jack and I really hope to learn more actual English. My favorite books are the Hunger Games among others.

    Jack - D

    ReplyDelete
  12. My favorite book is Flowers for Algernon. I like how this man started off so poorly or in such a bad condition and then became so intelligent.

    Sarah -E

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey my name is Brittany- E. My favorite book is Speak.

    Brittany-D

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey my name is James G. My favorite books are Keeper by Mal Peet and Last
    Shot: A Final Four Mystery by: John Feinstein
    James-E

    ReplyDelete
  15. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi my name is Jamie-E. I hope to learn a lot of grammar and writing. This is my 10th year at Newman, and my favorite books are 13 Reasons Why by Jay Asher, and Willow by Julia Hoban.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hello, I'm David Gertler. My favorite book is Runner by Carl Deuker.

    David-E

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hey my name is Wyatt-E. My favorite book is the Blind Side.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hey, my name is Hannah.
    This year I hope to learn to make myself a better writer. My favorite books are Story of a Girl by Sara Zarr and 13 Reasons Why by Jay Asher.
    Hannah - E

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi, my favorite book is City of Thieves.
    Peter G. - E

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi my name is Jenna-E. My favorite book is Leaving Paradise.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi my name is Riley E. My favorite book is 13 Little Blue Envelopes.

    Riley-E

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hello everyone,
    My name is Kennedi Walker. My favorite books are any books in the Clique series by Lisi Harrison. I like the books because they are really funny and can really happen in real life.

    Kennedi-E

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hey my name is Ronnie, my favorite books are the Hunger Game series.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hey, My favorite book is Story of a Girl by Sara Zarr. but there are a lot of other books that I like, such as, 13 Reasons Why or Boy Meets Boy. I'm not a big fan of reading, normally, but if I find a really good book, I can't put it down

    -Katherine-E

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hello fellow classmates and teacher. My name is Kevin Isaac Steiner and my favorite book is The Boy in the Striped Pajamas. I would like to expand my vocabulary and become better at reading comprehension this year.

    Shalom
    Kevin S - E

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hey it is Walt. My favorite book is The Blind Side by Michael Lewis.

    Mazel Tov,
    Walt

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hey, my name is Nick. My favorite book is the Series of Unfortunate Events series.

    Peace Dogs ;)
    Nicky-E

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hello, my name is Peter Drennan. My favorite book/novella is The Body by Stephen King.

    In COD we trust.

    Peter D-E

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hey, my name is Sasha Lasky. My favorite book is Peaches.
    Sasha-G

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hi, my name is Alisen Reed. My favorite book is The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton.


    Alisen- G

    ReplyDelete
  32. Hello, my name is Will Milvid. My favorite series is the Harry Potter series.

    Will-G

    ReplyDelete
  33. Hey my name is Jay Tyler. I want to learn more about grammar. My favorite book is The Hatchet.

    In COD We Trust

    Tyler - G

    ReplyDelete
  34. Hi, my name is Julia. My favorite book is called Kissed by an Angel by Elizabeth Chandler. This year in English class I hope to learn more about books and literature.

    Julia-G

    ReplyDelete
  35. Hi, my name is David Terral. I like the Hunger Game Series written by Suzanne Collins (lmbo).

    xx~CoD 4 Lyfe~xx

    pce,
    David Terral - G

    ReplyDelete
  36. Hello, my name is William Twomey. My favorite book is the Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. I hope to learn more about book genres this year.

    CoD 4 life

    Twomey-G

    ReplyDelete
  37. Hey , My Name is Kendall and My Favorite book is Mississippi Trial 1955.

    In COD We Trust!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Hey, my name is Cole Garda. I want to learn more about grammar. My favorite book is The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan.

    Cole-G

    ReplyDelete
  39. Hello, my name is Garner McAshan. My favorite book is The Time Machine by H.G. Wells.

    In COD we trust

    Garner-G

    ReplyDelete
  40. Hey, my name is Miranda Heath. My favorite book is Looking for Alaska by John Green. I hope to improve my writing in this class. :]

    Miranda-G

    ReplyDelete
  41. Hi fellow English students!! I am Michael McAlpine Junior, my dad is Michael McAlpine Senior. I really want to learn about books. My favorite book is The Hunger Games. I like pasta salad and long walks on the beach with my dog.

    xoxo

    Michael McAlpine-G

    ReplyDelete
  42. Hey, my name is Charlotte Huger. My favorite book is Sarah's Key.

    Charlotte-G

    ReplyDelete
  43. Hello. Hope you are having a dandy day. My favorite book is King Kong. It's an excellent book. I heart it.

    Later bros,
    In Cod we pray

    Ido-G

    ReplyDelete
  44. Abbas - C
    Hey my name is Abbas Mohammadi and I want to learn more about literature My favorite book is Something Remains by Inge Barth-Grozinger

    ReplyDelete
  45. Hello fellow English students, I am Elliot Gorden Sperling. I want to learn more about books. I do not have a favorite book. Goodbye.

    ReplyDelete
  46. Hey, My name is Blakely - C. My favorite book is What My Mother Doesn't Know. I hope to improve my writing during this class.
    Blakely - C.

    ReplyDelete
  47. Hey, I'm Sarauniya from C block. This year I hope to improve my writing skills. My favorite book so far is Memoirs of a Teenage Amnesiac. I also like the Series of Unfortunate events.

    ReplyDelete
  48. Hi, my name is Alexa. My favorite book is A Separate Peace by John Knowles. I hope to become a better writer in this class.

    Alexa-C

    ReplyDelete
  49. Hi, I'm Haley-C and my favorite book is The Hunger Games.

    ReplyDelete
  50. Hey, my name is Walter Lapeyre. My favorite books are the Hunger Games series by Suzanne Collins.

    Walter-C

    ReplyDelete
  51. I am William Uhalt. I live in New Orleans because I was born here. I'm in the 8th grade at Newman School. My English block is C. I plan on getting a A+ in this English class. This should be easy. I also plan on getting better at spelling and grammar. Because this is English class. And I have lots of good classmates. My favorite book is War Games.

    William Uhalt- C

    ReplyDelete
  52. Hi, my name is Gabrielle Stone. I look forward to learning how to write better and I would also like to better my grammar usage this year. My favorite book is The Summer I Turned Pretty by Jenny Han.

    Sincerely, Gabrielle-C

    ReplyDelete
  53. Hey, I'm Caroline Gramm Galliano and my favorite book is Olive's Ocean by Kevin Henkes. In English class I would like to learn how to write better.

    ReplyDelete
  54. Hello, Kenan Slade Rand III, Class of 2015. Damn good to meet you. My favorite book is The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time. This book is not very jank.
    lawlercatz
    Slade- C

    ReplyDelete
  55. Hey I'm Elena. My favorite book is Ender's Game.
    Elena-D

    ReplyDelete
  56. Im Nathaniel and my favorite books are either Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows or the Hunger Games series. I hope we dont have too many papers because that can be boring.

    Nathaniel- G

    ReplyDelete
  57. Hello I am William Savoie and my favorite book is Holes by Louis Sachar.
    William-G
















    I have 5 nukes on Trailer Park.

    ReplyDelete
  58. Hello, fellow classmates and friends of the class of 2015.

    I'd like to start by introducing myself as Aidan J. Oestreicher. One the nicknames I have acquired is ao13 from my Bar Mitzvah. I always laugh out loud when I hear it. One of my goals in life is getting a nuclear warhead in the Game, Call of Duty. I love abbreviating words. I also love reading, and the act of learning. I'm super duper excited about starting school, and hope my learning is not interrupted by ignorant and constant shenanigans. My favorite teacher in the entire world of war craft is Ms.Keene. She’s really nice and smart. My favorite book is called, TTYL by Lauren Myracle. The book is about the discussion of drama on instant messenger between two girls in New York. Some topics include boys, breakups, and parties, or maybe just simple school. I happen to be in the C block of English. The Best class ever, I mean really which class can compete with our super excellence. So I guess what I’m trying to say is I’m really excited for English this year.

    From, your favorite student the whole wide world.

    Aidan Oestreicher

    ReplyDelete
  59. Hello my name is William Savoie. My favorite book is Holes by Louis Sachar.
    William-G












    I have 5 nukes on Trailer Park.

    ReplyDelete
  60. Hi, I am Kyla Bernberg. My favorite book is Go Ask Alice which is by an Anonymous author. In English class this year I would like to learn how to write a better ending to my stories. Kyla-D

    ReplyDelete
  61. Hi I am Ben. My favorite book is War Horse by Mchael Morpurgo. In English classs I would like to learn how to write better.

    ReplyDelete
  62. hey it is Cora. My favorite book is The Last Olympian by Rick Riordin

    ReplyDelete
  63. Hello, my name is Charles Kelley. My favorite book is The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde. I want to improve my grammar.
    Charles Kelley - C

    ReplyDelete
  64. Julian Sutton
    Mr. Leland
    English 8-D
    November 8, 2010

    Ms. Keene, I think you should check out the album Recovery by Eminem. Recovery has seventeen thrilling songs featuring various well known artists, including Lil Wayne, Rihanna, and P!nk. Each song contains pounding lyrics that have the capability to send the listener to an alternate universe full of excitement, heartbreak, and violence. The album keeps a consistent gripping beat throughout and showcases Eminem’s highly respected ability to rhyme and tell a story in a unique way. Some of the more popular songs on the album include, No Love (featuring Lil Wayne), Not Afraid, and Love the Way you Lie (featuring Rihanna). Personally, my favorite song is Space Bound, because it has the best beat and chorus. Also the lyrics are very intense and capture the listener’s interest. Recovery is a blend of all of Eminem’s previous albums and contains some of the best work of his career.

    http://www.amazon.com/Recovery-Explicit/dp/B003RNXIBK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1289241226&sr=8-1
    Julian-D

    ReplyDelete